Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember this Barnes haters?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

Remember this? He has a couple of penalties saved and you think he should be dropped. He worked hard today and it may not have been the best penalty in the world, but everyone has off days. He was our top goal scorer last season and he definitely doesn't need to be dropped.

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
It wasn't just his penalty though was it? How about him missing the ball when he should have scored early in the second half? Or his free header in the first half?

Matt Sparrow used to work hard; it doesn't mean you should be playing.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
You'll get plenty of bites. I'm a Barnes fan and there's no amount of explaining that will make some people understand the role he plays, BUT he was awful tonight and has been under-par the last few games. I think if you're being fair to the squad he has to drop to the bench. The people saying sell him, he's not good enough, get rid...they're idiots. Playing a poor game or two does not mean you deserve to be kicked out of the club, but dropped, sorry that but it's time for him to take a rest and let someone else have a go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I missed a bad penalty.

Ok fair enough pooh happens.

He then hit the rebound to the same spot.

I'm sorry but that is amateurish, stupid, and unforgivable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I suspect that if Bridge was fit Barnes would not have started today.

He was dropped for the Wolves game in place of Dobbie, but Bridge started that game and went off injured.

Gus is concerned about us being weak on the left, and so plays Barnes there as additional cover for the full back.

On the strength of his offensive play he should be dropped IMO, I thought he was poor at Huddersfield last week too going forwards.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You'll get plenty of bites. I'm a Barnes fan and there's no amount of explaining that will make some people understand the role he plays, BUT he was awful tonight and has been under-par the last few games. I think if you're being fair to the squad he has to drop to the bench. The people saying sell him, he's not good enough, get rid...they're idiots. Playing a poor game or two does not mean you deserve to be kicked out of the club, but dropped, sorry that but it's time for him to take a rest and let someone else have a go.

Spot on. He is a player out of form and we have much better on the bench. On merit there are other players that deserve to be ahead of him in the pecking order. He will get his chance again I am sure but for now he is a man out of form.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

He was dropped for the Wolves game in place of Dobbie, but Bridge started that game and went off injured.

Gus is concerned about us being weak on the left, and so plays Barnes there as additional cover for the full back.

On the strength of his offensive play he should be dropped IMO, I thought he was poor at Huddersfield last week too going forwards.

This is spot on. I don't really thinks it helps his confidence when so many wankers seem intent on giving him abuse for ninety minutes either.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On today's performance, he should be dropped for Tuesday in favour of either Dobbie or Hoskins. His scoring a penalty against Liverpool means absolutely nothing in this context. Peter Ward scored plenty of goals for us but we're not still picking him are we?

Hoskins showed more in his cameo than Barnes managed all afternoon and Dobbie has shown in his recent appearances that he's starting to be the player we thought we'd signed. On recent evidence, both ought to be ahead of Barnes right here and right now.

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
Look ill sum it up in a nutshell, does Ashley Barnes have a good goal ratio- yes, does Ashley Barnes work hard-yes, is Ashley Barnes a championship player- probably yes, are we ever gonna get promoted to the premiership with Ashley Barnes starting every game as one of our strikers- not a chance. Quite simply it depends on our true ambitions.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
It wasn't just his penalty though was it? How about him missing the ball when he should have scored early in the second half? Or his free header in the first half?

Matt Sparrow used to work hard; it doesn't mean you should be playing.

This. I am usually supportive of Barnes but today was poor. The pen I can forgive but the rebound was so poor it was incredible. He had a couple of other good chances which weren't exploited poor today and am surprised he lasted so long before being taken off.... Our problem this season has been scoring. The creativity is good the defence is good but putting the ball in the net is very problematic. Missing these chances do not help and in my view will cost him his place...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Hoskins showed more in his cameo than Barnes managed all afternoon and Dobbie has shown in his recent appearances that he's starting to be the player we thought we'd signed. On recent evidence, both ought to be ahead of Barnes right here and right now.

Hoskins did more than CMS did as well. If Bridge is back for Tuesday (not that Painter has done anything wrong, in fact he was very good today) then yes play someone else but I would not fancy Painter at left back with a player in front who will not drop back

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Fantastic observation re Bridge...... Couldn't agree more

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Remember this? He has a couple of penalties saved and you think he should be dropped. He worked hard today and it may not have been the best penalty in the world, but everyone has off days. He was our top goal scorer last season and he definitely doesn't need to be dropped.

Please do shut up, the guy is not good enough. Yes penalties get saved but the follow up beggars belief. The header, the air shot. Game after game we see him fail. Having been a st for 38 years I have to say he is the one player in all that time I just don't get.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
If Bridge is not fit for Palace I can guarantee 100% that Barnes will start on the left. Zaha will rape Painter without some support and Barnes is far better at that than Dobbie, Hoskins, Orlandi or Buckley.

PS...I do find it ironic though, that when Buckley put it on a plate 10 yards out 1-on-1 for Hoskins and he missed, that everyone sees it as a positive that he was in that position and "testing the keeper". If that was Barnes he would've needed an armed guard out of the stadium. Maybe when everyone's calmed down they'll consider that Hoskins isn't actually the magic replacement everyone seems to think.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I'm not an idiot thank you but he is not good enough and if we have ambition he will not be the player to succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here