Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember Falmer Water Pumping Station ?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
As a youngster my Nan took me out for a walk every afternoon from her house in Moulsecoomb, the destination alternating - one day to Stanmer village and the next to Falmer pond (both with ice creams available!). Alongside the Lewes Road was the wondrous sight of Falmer Pumping Station. Looking over the flintstone wall, you could see the huge brass pumps going up and down through big arched windows. It seemed strangely silent even though they must have been powered by noisy coal-fired engines. It was a magnificent building, even chuch-like if the windows had been stained-glassed.
Now when I set off to our new cathedral of football, I never never thought that this area would be our new home. Memories will come flooding back of times even pre-dating my first ever visit to the Goldstone.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I don't remember that but I do remember walking from our home in Coldean to the Falmer fare (or should it be fayre?) which was avery agricultural type event.

D

Deleted User X18H

I remember walking from Stanmer Village to the Dyke and to Patcham . I have a rather vague recollection of walking from Bevendean to the Race Hill with my old man. I also remember my Dad showing me where there was an anti aircraft gun stationed during the war whilst we stood a Falmer Station once. He thought there would loads of war time paraphernalia buried there.

I believe there is a football stadium on the site now!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I lived at Coldean and went to school at Falmer,we had a classroom visit to the Water Pumping station,believe they are the offices of Southern water/ or South East water on the site now.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
My Dad [bless him] was one of the pumping staion attendants there in the sixties and i spent a lot of time there during the school summer breaks. He used to get me to clean a lot of the brass pumps and mow the grass.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I lived in Moulsecoomb, attended Westlain school, and spent large parts of the school holidays in Stanmer Park. I passed within 50 yards of the pumping station nearly every day for several years.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
used to pass it on the bus going to my aunts smallholding just the other side of Lewes.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I can remember back in late 50's early 60's Falmer pond itself was a massive draw in the holidays with literally hundreds of people sunbathing in deckchairs, picnics, kids playing in the water from that little beach area. in the quieter areas kids would catch newts and keep them in jars. Little did we know in 50 years time that the local dogs would would be lying afraid in their pet blankets, ears twitching nervously at the fluctuating waves of sound as the Albion attack the South goal.... Sorry got carried away there for a moment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here