Remember Anfield 1983?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AndSmithMustScore

Feb 6, 2012
Horsham
Does anyone remember Anfield 1983 and the run we were on? Newcastle (ok, it was in the 3rd round), then Liverpool away in the 5th round, and after we had dispatched them, we duly beat Norwich and then Sheffield Wednesday (both still in the cup) and this year we have no Manchester United to stop us!......only one result surely?

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Sausage was there. What a grand day out. Anfield looks different these days, huh?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yep. And the Liverpool of today are a pale shade of that team who were in the middle of a run of three consecutive championships (and League Cups) and in 1981 and 1984 won the European Cup. There is no equivalent club in terms of stature now.

We were of course top flight, but relegation fodder.

It was a fantastic game. Even if I was more than half-cut.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
A bit more obscurely, does anyone remember Anfield '85? Liverpool ran us ragged and Paul Walsh got a hattrick. Only Danny Wilson didn't look out of his depth.

OH YES. shocking doesn't do it nearly enough justice

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'll never forget Anfield '83 as long as I live. My best ever Albion game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How many people still alive saw every match that season including the Newcastle replay ? Not many of us

It's been reported that less than 35 Albion fans travelled up for the Newcastle replay so yes, hardly any.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
that Sunday was one of my very first away games watching the Albion, me and dad travelling up on the Saturday and stayed with some relatives in Rice Lane in liverpool, watched the match and travelled home that evening......marvellous marvellous day out.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
Yes I was there - have a crowd photo from the Argus to prove it. Also saw the Norwich City and Sheff Wed games and, of course, both Finals. I still wake screaming "and Smith must score!"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Plus we had Sunderland midweek that season as well

So... around 30 at Newcastle - how many at Sunderland?

Do you think you are probably the ONLY ever present still with us from that year? If there were someone else presumably you'd know them...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports