Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Relegation

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Looks already like it'll be 3 from the promoted sides + Bournemouth. Who do you think is going? I wonder if any teams above these 4 will be sucked in? Wolves, Everton, Fulham or Forest?

Luton staying up would be impressive from them. I dislike Luton (and their crap ground) but can't help admiring the squad they've built on limited funds.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
can’t see wolves, fulham or forest being that involved. reckon it could easily be 3 out of 3 for the promoted teams, and tbh although i’m sure everton would rather not be deducted 12 points, if there was ever a season for that to happen and for them to still get away with it, it’s probably this one.

quality of the three promoted teams has been just abysmal, worse than any season i can recently remember. and yes i’m aware that’s tempting fate ahead of sunday

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not just saying this because of well you know......but I think Palace could get dragged into it. They don't look much cop what I've seen of them this season.

But they've probably got more about them than all of the current bottom 4.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If Everton get deducted 12 points, they could be in real trouble.
I can't see a points deduction being handed out by the Premier League during a season unless it is specifically stated in the rules. The only time a points deduction has happened in the PL is Portsmouth in 09/10 as they entered administration, which has specifically agreed punishments for.

Everton's punishment, whatever it ends up being, will be suspended until next season.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Not just saying this because of well you know......but I think Palace could get dragged into it. They don't look much cop what I've seen of them this season.

They're three points behind us with a very favourable run of fixtures coming up.

No chance of them going down sadly.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I think they've already got enough points to stay up based on the bottom 4

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Looks already like it'll be 3 from the promoted sides + Bournemouth. Who do you think is going? I wonder if any teams above these 4 will be sucked in? Wolves, Everton, Fulham or Forest?

Luton staying up would be impressive from them. I dislike Luton (and their crap ground) but can't help admiring the squad they've built on limited funds.
I'd like Luton to do it, purely as such massive underdogs who've been written off by many.

Muff also falling for the curse of binning off a reasonable manager who had them playing, putting in a so called more glamorous name, and having it blow up in their faces.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd like Luton to do it, purely as such massive underdogs who've been written off by many.

Muff also falling for the curse of binning off a reasonable manager who had them playing, putting in a so called more glamorous name, and having it blow up in their faces.
Ah, doing a Birmingham....

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
After they played us I thought Luton were never going to break 30 points and were therefore nailed on for relegation.

I still don't think they'll break 30 points but I'm not convinced all three of Bournemouth, Burnley and Sheff utd will either so they might stay up.

Stumpy Tim

After they played us I thought Luton were never going to break 30 points and were therefore nailed on for relegation.

I still don't think they'll break 30 points but I'm not convinced all three of Bournemouth, Burnley and Sheff utd will either so they might stay up.
That Luton game had the feeling of a lower league team coming to us in the FA Cup. They needed to change their mentality to actually believe they belong... it feels like they're getting there. Probably still won't be enough, but they're putting up a fight

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

No chance.

They prioritise all games against the bottom teams and try and get 6 points off each.

They are excellent at doing this every season. You don't have to do much the rest of the games to stay up.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Think it will finish something like

16 - Wolves - 43 pts
17 - Bournemouth - 33 pts
18 - Burnley - 26 pts
19 - Luton - 25 pts
20 - Sheff Utd - 22 pts

I'm hoping to not see this bounced on Sunday evening

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No chance.

They prioritise all games against the bottom teams and try and get 6 points off each.

They are excellent at doing this every season. You don't have to do much the rest of the games to stay up.
I'm very much hoping for 6 points off them this season!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So hard to call because of the January transfer window.

Last NYE Plucky were imho as good as down, but they found £50m down the back of the sofa and with some new highly-rated loanees, added 5 outstanding players to the squad. The first team was transformed.

I'll just predict the three promoted clubs Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Luton. Poor defences key.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Until they get to the magical 40 points, I'm not ruling out Brighton and Hove Albion.

#TrustTheTracker
I know it's a toungue-in-cheek comment, but you haven't needed 40 points for about 15 years. I think that the highest points total of a relegated team since we've been in the PL has been 35 by Burnley 2 years ago, and I certainly can't see that being broken with the bottom four all on 6 and 4 points from 11!

Imagine if we did go down this season though. 24m profit in 21-22 and probable £200m combined profits from last season and this season - I think it's fair to say we'd be in a good position to go straight back up!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If Everton get deducted 12 points, they could be in real trouble.
Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know it's a toungue-in-cheek comment, but you haven't needed 40 points for about 15 years. I think that the highest points total of a relegated team since we've been in the PL has been 35 by Burnley 2 years ago, and I certainly can't see that being broken with the bottom four all on 6 and 4 points from 11!

Imagine if we did go down this season though. 24m profit in 21-22 and probable £200m combined profits from last season and this season - I think it's fair to say we'd be in a good position to go straight back up!
Maybe the points total was tongue-in-cheek, but the overriding point isn't. Fully aware that ANYTHING can happen in football, I'm taking it one game at a time. For example, extrapolate out the current form over the rest of the season (extremely unlikely, but there IS a chance – maybe even worse form) and we're bang in trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here