Relegation threatened sides.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Can ANYONE please explain to me the thoughts behind these teams tactics of timewasting? Let's start with tonight. Yeovil need 6 points to stand any chance of survival, yes that's two WINS. So why at 0-0 were they wasting so much time. If I was a supporter of theirs seeing their striker in the 1st half deliberately taking the longest route off the pitch possible to waste time, I'd feel like running on the pitch and shouting in his face "do you realise we need to ****ing win to stay up?"

As for Blackpool on Monday, it was even worse. You argue a point is a good result away from home and may ensure their survival. But I truly hope their negative tactics and lack of desire to win a game of football results in them being relegated.

This is the business end of the season, and I can honestly say if I was a manager of either of these sides, I'd be appalled at the lack of desire to WIN i repeat WIN a game of football.

Totally agree and let's hope Blackpool have plenty of time to reflect on this during the summer when the League 1
fixtures come out. Their time-wasting was a disgrace.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Huddersfield were a disgrace beyond belief, even trained their ball boys to waste time as well.

I've seen more away matches than home over the last 20 years, and this was the worst time wasting I can remember. I would've been embarrassed to be a Hudds fan.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm surprised by this. I thought they were the least time wasting side I've seen at the AMEX all season, maybe just me.

Have to agree. Their striker, and occasionally their keeper taking kicks aside thought they were a very neat open attacking little team.

I guess one angle for them could be that if we've had a sustained period of pressure then its good to take the heat out or momentum from the situation by slowing things down a tad.

As for the injured striker pretty certain he only did that to give their players the time to re-group from an organisational perspective.

But as for the OPs original sentiment yes I agree that why do it? Not just at this time in the season why do it at all? Fear of losing is becoming so ingrained to managers and players alike away from home that football is in danger of becoming totally sterile. At least with OG I know that his game plan away from home is to contain, retain and counter in the first hour then if we're still in the match bring on the pace and go for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think time wasting is always about playing for a draw. Sometimes it's about controlling the pace of the game, frustrating the opponent, giving your side a break to have a breather to prepare for the next passage of play, etc.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I don't think time wasting is always about playing for a draw. Sometimes it's about controlling the pace of the game, frustrating the opponent, giving your side a break to have a breather to prepare for the next passage of play, etc.

I do get what you are saying but I just think it shows a real lack of urgency. All I'd ask from the Blackpool or Yeovil players if I was their manager or a fan is that they give me everything and have no regrets. Every minute counts for these guys to score a goal to keep alive their championship status. There is no way Blackpool can say they have done that. I just hope they join Yeovil and fall through that trap door

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports