Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refuse to buy....

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Only two things I wont do,

1. Step foot in the Goldstone retail park,
2. Go to Forfars or fresh or whatever there calling it now.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
It's incredibly difficult to avoid directly or indirectly paying towards Sky, let alone Murdoch's empire as a whole. If you have freeview and watch matches at a pub with dodgy European sports channels then maybe...

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Yeah, I switched from Abbey over to Alliance & Leicester, who then got bought out by Santander so I switched again. They are a horrible organisation.

i had a similar abbey national story but this may make you feel a bit better. i too lost my job so ran up an o/d of 1500 quid . told them id lost my job so they instantly stopped my overdraft which meant charges all over the place. i tried reasoning with them but they wouldnt have it. so i put all my cards cheque books statemtnts etc in the bin and burnt them. i moved out a month later and to this day have not heard anything from them . i can get credit so ive not been blacklisted and i can use their cashpoints so id imagine its been written off. this was about 10 years ago

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I refuse to use my Nectar card.

It all stems form a few years back when I handed it over and the garage attendant swiped it though but it didn’t work, so she tried it again. and again, again, I said no matter its not important, but she saw this as a challenge and her personal crusade to get it working, ! No matter how I protested asking for it back so I could be on my way, she would not give it up !. Was probably only a few minutes but seemed like ages and I left the petrol station fuming at being held up unnecessarily.

Since then refuse to use one, but constantly get asked for “my Nectar card” and when explaining I don’t have one, I get a application form thrust in my direction as if they on commission to sign you up.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I refuse to buy The Sun because it is a despicable piece of shit that spreads bigotry, hatred and racism, whilst promoting ignorance and stupidity as virtuous.

:bowdown::thumbsup::bowdown:

I second that emotion.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I wll never shop at Sainsburys after the sock incident.

10 years ago I was working there as a manager and after a Friday night with my dirty nurse girlfriend went into work at 7am needing clean socks.
As the tills were not open I grabbed the cheapest mulitpack of socks and proceeded to put on one pair leaving the rest in the deputy manage'rs office with my name on them ready to buy when the shop was open.
An area manger's visit sparked panic in the branch and by the time he went it was 6pm and I had pulled a 11 hour shift and was keen to go home.

So I did and enjoyed what little was left of Saturday.

I got a phone call Sunday from the duty manager asking why there was a packet of socks in his office. I explained and said I would pay for them when I was next in.

First thing Monday I was suspended for theft as I had left the branch with out paying for them.

2 weeks paid while my career went down the toilet.

I was cleared but ultimately destroyed, I ended up on Nightshift in a shitty smaller older store, out of sight - out of mind.

My face clearly didnt fit in their wanky organsation.

So now f*** em, I spend all my money in Tescos. I will drive past Sainsburys to get to another store.

and I hate Jamie Oliver.........

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Forfars, Jack Wills clothing (note the Hollister thread).

Thats pretty much it, apart from The Sun for many of the stories its written past (and present even), but i've never had any reason to buy it anyway so its no problem. Oh and the Daily Mail for the same reasons.

I know a couple of people who refuse to use the goldstone retail park, but it doesnt really bother me, especially now we have our new ground.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
i had a similar abbey national story but this may make you feel a bit better. i too lost my job so ran up an o/d of 1500 quid . told them id lost my job so they instantly stopped my overdraft which meant charges all over the place. i tried reasoning with them but they wouldnt have it. so i put all my cards cheque books statemtnts etc in the bin and burnt them. i moved out a month later and to this day have not heard anything from them . i can get credit so ive not been blacklisted and i can use their cashpoints so id imagine its been written off. this was about 10 years ago

If they didn't make contact with you and you didn't acknowledge the debt, it became statue limited after 6 years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd say that's more than silly and quite insulting.

you say that, But it a generational thing. My great uncle was held in a Jap POW camp seemly, a huge chap he was, when he came back, he was 7 stone and was dead inside a year. ( according to my Gran) The family never bought anything Japanese for years afterwards.

I don't have anything that I deliberately will not buy although I am always slightly uncomfortable about buying Israeli goods...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Office the shoe shop, totally inept at running a mail order / internet order service, does not follow or understand distance selling regulations!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I will not buy the Daily Mirror, nor would I use it if I ran out of Andrex...after they printed faked pictures of Iraqi's being abused by British Servicemen during the time Piers Morgan was editor. That fabricated story placed the lives of our Servicemen at considerable risk, greater than they were at that time in Iraq, it was an act of gross stupidity.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Only two things I wont do,

1. Step foot in the Goldstone retail park,
2. Go to Forfars or fresh or whatever there calling it now.

Ditto both of those and add to the list any product or service provided by the Halifax simply because their television adverts are so f***ing terrible that I don't want them to think that they actually work and then make more of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here