Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Refund information for season-ticket holders

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think we’d be lucky to get 5,000 households buying at that price which if that was averaged over the season equates to £1.75m less costs so maybe £1-1.25m to the club?

The Newcastle game was watched on mainstream Sky Sports by 1m but my understanding is average viewing figures on the normal package games is roughly 500k.

Clearly our games v Top six will attract more and my assumption is money goes to the home club but still I’d expect v low purchase numbers.

Agreed - apart from the bit in bold - I think PB indicated the revenue would be shared equally among clubs to avoid imbalances in the number of games subject to PPV.

I'll probably pay to watch it, but it's quite likely there could be 3-4 other STHs with me and I suspect that will be the case with many STHs/members - 5k max sounds about right to me (from our side at least - obviously would be 500k if we were playing Leeds).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry if I'm being dense - but would I have to request a refund 5 separate times, or is it that they're sending the emails out on batches?

You'll have 5 opportunities to request the refund.

So, if circumstances change over the next few months you are still able to request the refund even if you don't need to now.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I thought the interesting thing from the Q and A, was that despite all the spleen spitting venom on here, only 48 people were actually concerned enough to email, and only 8 were against the concept of PPV. EIGHT out of in excess of TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders, so far from the club having got it wrong, If only 8 were bothered enough to contact the club I would argue this forum got it wrong over PPV and the clubs responses.

I have also seen twitter posts and comments saying how the club have performed a U Turn due to the fan pressure over refunds and PPV, . No such thing, the club never said they wouldn't refund,but were constantly reviewing the situation and as Barber said last night, there is no way you could come up with, and implement the refund scheme in a few days. Its obviously been months in the planning, was the announcement even brought forward as the board meeting was planned ages ago, not as a response to PPV and Big Picture announcements

This shows how the impression given on NSC forum (or any forum) is actually NOT always the majority view of the whole fan base. Sometimes this is forgotten on here, NSC is only one segment of a much larger following.

Once again, the club have made the best out of a bad situation, given there is no way the club can meet everyones needs and requests , the club once again seem to have found a way to cater for as many as its possible to do

Its easy to criticise the club, as many have done, but how many other clubs have done what Brighton has to keep fans informed, over this period.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Absolutely delighted at the club's change of heart and agreement that ST monies will be refunded if / when requested. A little sad that it took the course that it did but very happy that the club did the right thing in the end.

If only the ST refunds and the PPV charges had been announced together......but it's history now. Job's a good 'un and we move on.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I thought the interesting thing from the Q and A, was that despite all the spleen spitting venom on here, only 48 people were actually concerned enough to email, and only 8 were against the concept of PPV. EIGHT out of in excess of TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders, so far from the club having got it wrong, If only 8 were bothered enough to contact the club I would argue this forum got it wrong over PPV and the clubs responses.

I have also seen twitter posts and comments saying how the club have performed a U Turn due to the fan pressure over refunds and PPV, . No such thing, the club never said they wouldn't refund,but were constantly reviewing the situation and as Barber said last night, there is no way you could come up with, and implement the refund scheme in a few days. Its obviously been months in the planning, was the announcement even brought forward as the board meeting was planned ages ago, not as a response to PPV and Big Picture announcements

This shows how the impression given on NSC forum (or any forum) is actually NOT always the majority view of the whole fan base. Sometimes this is forgotten on here, NSC is only one segment of a much larger following.

Once again, the club have made the best out of a bad situation, given there is no way the club can meet everyones needs and requests , the club once again seem to have found a way to cater for as many as its possible to do

Its easy to criticise the club, as many have done, but how many other clubs have done what Brighton has to keep fans informed, over this period.

Quite.

Considering how the spiv up the road is treating ST holders I think the club should be commended for the way it's dealing with this.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I don’t really understand why people have a problem with PPV. It’s an opportunity to see your club play when not picked for Sky or BT. An extra choice as I see it. I paid a lot more in the last few seasons going to away games.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I think this is the right solution - and it properly answers a concern of mine on another thread about the club holding the money and making up the rules as they go along. (And for which I was advised by one respondent to "go and support another club" !!)

The club hold in excess of £800 of mine - and have been badgering me for another £1750 to pay for this season. I just ignored the requests because it seemed pretty obvious to me, reading the news and with my limited understanding of the proposed ballot system, that I'd only be sending them money I'd have to argue with them to send straight back.

This solution fixes it properly.

Where 1901 membership is concerned, I'd now hope the club recognises that of the current 5-year commitment, one year will have been completely lost, and that the 1901 5-year renewals should be delayed for one more year - ie: to commence in the 22-23 season. The way the world is right now, and with football likely to be at war with itself for a while, a 5-year commitment to pretty much anything seems a bit optimistic really.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They're PB's numbers not mine, and I'd imagine he'd have a reasonable view of what's expected..............:shrug: He said they agreed on the basis of a) it allows us to be able to see games we otherwise (legally) couldn't and b) it delivers a small amount of revenue to the club

As regards an average - for every Leeds/Liverpool game, there is a Burnley/West Brom - and with the former far more likely to be televised anyway, it's always the less attractive games that will be on PPV. Liverpool had 75% of their games televised.

Yeah I'm probably wrong PB will be well informed ( but he may well have downplayed the potential upside)

Did he clarify how long he expected before fans are allowed back?
I can see it being only worth £1m if he's expecting PPV to be unnecessary before the end of the year, rather than the end of the season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah I'm probably wrong PB will be well informed ( but he may well have downplayed the potential upside)

Did he clarify how long he expected before fans are allowed back?
I can see it being only worth £1m if he's expecting PPV to be unnecessary before the end of the year, rather than the end of the season.

He doesn’t really have an expectation at the moment as far as we heard.....he was very proud and happy about how the test event went and thought we’d done enough to prove it works. He’s also frustrated at the current inconsistency (Palladium audiences being allowed, and being able to watch live games on screen in pubs etc for example). Seems as though there is a lot of lobbying going on to get fans back in some way.

I think the 1-1.5 games worth was based on the rest of the season but can’t recall exactly- might have been for the next couple of months.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I think I follow all 8 of them on twitter.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

Look at the replies to the club on Facebook and Twitter announcing the West Brom and Spurs games via PPV.

A lot more than 48. The 48 were just the people bothered enough to email the CEO (and escalated complaint if you like).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Look at the replies to the club on Facebook and Twitter announcing the West Brom and Spurs games via PPV.

A lot more than 48. The 48 were just the people bothered enough to email the CEO (and escalated complaint if you like).

Still a fairly small number in the greater scheme of things but a lot of fairly nasty and misguided stuff as usual from ‘Mr Angry of Facebook’.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Still a fairly small number in the greater scheme of things but a lot of fairly nasty and misguided stuff as usual from ‘Mr Angry of Facebook’.
These are complaints within a few days of the announcement. If a few hundred people have complained directly to the club, some via the CEO, then there's clearly an issue up for review. Especially when you add to that the negative reaction from other sources - fans on here, Fan Facebook groups, WAB blog, social media accounts etc. Yes a lot of it is 'Mr Angry' but a lot of it is justified, look at some of the excellent debate on here on the subject.

Then throw in the general dismay in the football world about the pricing point of a PPV and it clearly put the club under pressure to release funds to STHs who need their money back.

I actually think the criticism was justified and the club should be commended for listening to supporters, making the decision and even doing a q&a so quickly. I didn't think the q&a was necessary but if Barbs managed to talk for 2 hours plus there must have been a lot of questions on the subject.

If you make a mistake this is how it should be dealt with, quickly and effectively with minimal fuss. Good to see.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
it clearly put the club under pressure to release funds to STHs who need their money back.

Did it ? Weren't the club working on a refund scheme well before the announcement of the PPV plans (for which they had little advance notice). ?
Not denying negative feedback about PPV - I agree - the optics of it, and the costing - all worth kicking back about. And made even worse because a refund scheme wasn't quite there. But this idea that the club only considered and launched refunds *because* they were put under pressure to do so over the weekend. Thats not true is it ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
These are complaints within a few days of the announcement. If a few hundred people have complained directly to the club, some via the CEO, then there's clearly an issue up for review. Especially when you add to that the negative reaction from other sources - fans on here, Fan Facebook groups, WAB blog, social media accounts etc. Yes a lot of it is 'Mr Angry' but a lot of it is justified, look at some of the excellent debate on here on the subject.

Then throw in the general dismay in the football world about the pricing point of a PPV and it clearly put the club under pressure to release funds to STHs who need their money back.

I actually think the criticism was justified and the club should be commended for listening to supporters, making the decision and even doing a q&a so quickly. I didn't think the q&a was necessary but if Barbs managed to talk for 2 hours plus there must have been a lot of questions on the subject.

If you make a mistake this is how it should be dealt with, quickly and effectively with minimal fuss. Good to see.

Until very recently there was hope/expectation that we would be allowed back at games in limited number. It was only on the 22nd September that this eventuality was ruled out.

The Albion board meeting this week was the first one scheduled since then, and the first time what is a pretty significant change to the club's cashflow could be discussed at the level required.

You can choose to believe me or not when I say that I have it on very good authority that a refund, and the specifics of the mechanics of the return of cash, was on the Albion board meeting agenda long before the PPV news broke and people started sending angry emails.

I've had many disagreements with Paul Barber over the years, and I imagine I was removed from the Christmas card list some time ago, but I can find no fault in any of the way the Albion have acted around any of this.

I'll add one more thing: Paul Barber is not afraid of making unpopular decisions, and is not one to give in to pressure. There's no way on earth the club are returning, potentially, millions of pounds because of whipped-up social media frenzy and some emails from "angry of Brighton". Anyone who thinks so is being a little bit silly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did it ? Weren't the club working on a refund scheme well before the announcement of the PPV plans (for which they had little advance notice). ?
Not denying negative feedback about PPV - I agree - the optics of it, and the costing - all worth kicking back about. And made even worse because a refund scheme wasn't quite there. But this idea that the club only considered and launched refunds *because* they were put under pressure to do so over the weekend. Thats not true is it ?

It is, to use a technical term, utter bollocks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some people are content, some people moan, some like to be a victim. Well done our club for catering for all.

Even us ambivalenters get a look in.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here