Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Referring to Albion fans as 'seagulls'.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I'm proud to be a Cottager.

I suppose this is indicative that people are talking more about BHAFC and want a quick way of describing their fans, like "Gooner". All they've done is give you the same nickname as the club.

What irritates me is that when people say 'seagull' they are usually referring to a Herring Gull. There is no such bird as a Seagull. Other gulls around here (eg Black-backed, Common) aren't as aggressive to humans.
You lost me when you went mad at ‘they are usually..’ - it’s a f***ing seagull 😂

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've used it a couple of times recently, such as in the Joe Marler thread, but it's not a term I've used very often.

I would usually use the term "Albion fan" but I think describing someone as being s Seagull - the capital "S" is key - is broader than that.

For example, it's nice to refer to ex-players who get it and retain an emotional attachment to the club after they leave as being one of us. They're not Albion fans in the traditional sense.

Bruno said "Once a Seagull, always a Seagull" as he signed off as a player and, regardless of what anyone thinks of him now, it sums up what it means: you remain part of the broad Brighton & Hove Albion family - the football club is in your blood.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I live in Dorset these days so always refer to myself as a Brighton fan, but when I was a Brighton resident I was Albion.
A couple of old guys in my local pub refer to me as a Seagull.
What I have noticed over the last couple of years is the amount of people who (when they see the badge on my coat) will come up to me and talk to me about how much they respect Brighton and love the way we play football.
I have no preference on what they call us, I just love the fact we have become a talking point for so many and in such a positive way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here