Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Referee Sunny Sukhvir Gill (v Sheffield United)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The only player who I recall having a 'miraculous' recovery was JPVH who got up because he was needed - but he was limping when getting back into position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are apoplectic about him and also how all we do is dive!
They're not wrong.

Goodnight spends so much time lying down I'm surprised he doesn't come onto the pitch carrying a duvet.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Unsurprisingly, a ref thread has appeared on the Sheffield United forum.

I'll retire there. My point is made.

Its already racist by post 3, which must be some sort of record.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I agree, the ref was excellent, he let tthe game flow, spot on with the big decisions. VAR didn't help him, taking so long over what were fairly clear and easy deciisions.
It was Salisbury on VAR so no surprise that he took so long to decide on every decision, including theirs which was blindingly obviously onside just with one glance on a replay. Useless

The ref was excellent today and very calm too.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We're often quick to criticise, so I want to be equally quick to praise.

I was really impressed with today's referee. I appreciate it may appear easy to say that when we've benefited from two penalty decisions, but I thought throughout the game he was really calm and assured.

And he was brave enough to make both penalty decisions - I wouldn't have been at all surprised for an established Premier League referee to not award the second one, and let VAR deal with it on his behalf.

Impressively he also let play continue after a foul several times, before pulling it back when a clear advantage had not been obtained - leaving it longer than many refs seem to.

From a quick search, it looks like he only reffed in the Football League for the first time at the beginning of last season, becoming the first South Asian to referee in the Football League since his own father.

If today was representative of his overall quality, he's going to progress towards the Premier League quickly.
"Another referee promoted well above his ability to fill inclusivity quotas. Absolutely miles out of his depth.

Either that or match fixing it was that bad."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If it wasn’t conceding 5 good goals and an inept ref, Sheffield Utd would be in the FAC draw. Fine margins.
I wanted them to score that third at the end. 3-5 win is not an Albion scoreline I can recall.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
We're often quick to criticise, so I want to be equally quick to praise.

I was really impressed with today's referee. I appreciate it may appear easy to say that when we've benefited from two penalty decisions, but I thought throughout the game he was really calm and assured.

And he was brave enough to make both penalty decisions - I wouldn't have been at all surprised for an established Premier League referee to not award the second one, and let VAR deal with it on his behalf.

Impressively he also let play continue after a foul several times, before pulling it back when a clear advantage had not been obtained - leaving it longer than many refs seem to.

From a quick search, it looks like he only reffed in the Football League for the first time at the beginning of last season, becoming the first South Asian to referee in the Football League since his own father.

If today was representative of his overall quality, he's going to progress towards the Premier League quickly.
Whilst I thought we deserved to win I thought the ref had a shocker. I expected both our penalties to get over turned. I’ll be surprised to see that ref make it to the PL on that performance - other than if the FA want to be seen to be promoting Asian refs - which is a good thing , just not that one. Sorry Suni

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm a massive critic of most professional refs but he did his job without any fuss and no complaints. A few morons around us were moaning at him when the play stopped but that was due to waiting for VAR.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Wilder should be fined and banned for his disgusting comments. He had another go in the MOTD interview.
The ref was excellent.
Yes. Really not sure where he felt he was 'out of his depth'? Not sure he did anything wrong - and Wilder didn't actually point to anything he did wrong.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Honestly, I felt a bit embarrassed today. One, our falling over and waving arms whilst down as if dead, but the getting up and running, was seriously embarrassing. And two, the ref gave us almost absolutely everything. I think the home fans have a point.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Whilst I thought we deserved to win I thought the ref had a shocker. I expected both our penalties to get over turned. I’ll be surprised to see that ref make it to the PL on that performance - other than if the FA want to be seen to be promoting Asian refs - which is a good thing , just not that one. Sorry Suni
I’m a bit mystified as to why you think that second penalty would be over turned …where’s the error let alone a clear an obvious one

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought there was 5 mins in second half when he seemed to lose it and it looked like some SUFC. players were go to injure one of ours, then it stopped. I do agree some of one of our players made a meal of it but the same player kept on being fouled ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here