Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ref blaming

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can't see the objection to VAR recommending the ref review footage for judgement/opinion incidents like the Wellbeck penalty and Cucurella hair pulling.

He can still make the decision based on what he saw and with the advantage of what the VAR coverage can show him.

The only time VAR actually makes a decision is on matters of fact - ball crossing line / offside etc... and that seems fine too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't see the objection to VAR recommending the ref review footage for judgement/opinion incidents like the Wellbeck penalty and Cucurella hair pulling.

He can still make the decision based on what he saw and with the advantage of what the VAR coverage can show him.

The only time VAR actually makes a decision is on matters of fact - ball crossing line / offside etc... and that seems fine too.

But VAR does not make any decision about the ball crossing the line, that is a different automated system!!

As for your first point, I fully agree. I think if the ref had been advised to take another look at both incidents, a penalty would have been given and Romero would have been sent off!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
But VAR does not make any decision about the ball crossing the line, that is a different automated system!!

As for your first point, I fully agree. I think if the ref had been advised to take another look at both incidents, a penalty would have been given and Romero would have been sent off!

It does for touch and side lines.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Attachments

• Screen Shot 08-16-22 at 02.10 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 08-16-22 at 02.10 PM.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 60

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Back on topic, I think most refs get most decisions right enough. It's the incredibly wrong ones that are causing the problem. Firstly, they are so blindingly obvious that it beggars belief they get them wrong. Having got them wrong, it incredible that the assistant ref doesn't tell them. One person seeing it wrong just might happen. The assistant ref is surely now called an assistant ref to assist the ref when he obviously gets it wrong and he has bloody great big coloured flag to signal it. If the assistant was gazing somewhere else, or on the opposite side of the pitch. The ref has a spare ref on VAR duty with cameras available to show what a ground full of fans and millions in armchairs have seen all over the world. If the ref doesn't know he missed an incident, surely the VAR can have a word in his ear and/or suggest he takes a look at the monitor. I like VAR unlike probably a majority of fans, but if the assistants won't help the refs and the VAR won't assist the ref, it just will lead to ref blaming and rightly so. If they do a great job for 88 minutes and make one or two absolute blunders in the other 2 minutes, their full support team should help them out, but if the Welbeck 'penalty' didn't invoke VAR involvement due to some kind of bar that the incident didn't reach, then frankly they might as well switch it off.

The logjam that prevents change is this: The referee's position is inviolate by definition, and he must make the decision. He can't be told by VAR or the lino that he's wrong. All they can do is suggest and encourage. If that's the system then wrong decisions are unavoidable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I found this quite interesting and it does go some way to explaining the absolute shite refereeing in some PL games and hence the reaction of some players and managers, however inexcusable they might be. It doesn't explain why VAR decisions are so inconsistent though.

Apologies if already posted, long thread

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...sedgntp&cvid=dfacd1d490e04777904b83fb3782a6c0

The reason he mentions is the retirement of a couple of refs you and others have described as "absolute shite" over the years. Are they suddenly great now when they've retired, or is this just a continuation of the average bloke out there always through all times have labelled all the refs as shite?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Going to eat the sport from the inside.

Must be punished very harshly if there's going to be anyone at all willing to do the job in due time.

If you dive down the newspaper archives, one thing gets obvious: every referee in every country in every sport has been shite at least since Gutenberg invented the printing machine in 1450.

This strikes me as quite odd and makes me believe that it is really our perception of refereeing that is entirely ****ed up. We simply don't understand how difficult it is. A flaw in the human brain.

As such, you have to expect that common people for the next 500 years are also going to consider every referee as a shite one. That is fine I suppose, or rather: it is what it is.

But when players and managers puts all the blame on the referee after any game they didn't win, it fuels the situation. The Tuchels of the world are for whatever reason seen as people you should listen to, and so the fans do - and at some point or another it is going to end really, really badly as one of the hundreds of death threats top refs & their families recieve are going to turn into reality. At that point it is going to be very difficult to find people willing to do the job at any level.

I really hope the PL (and the EFL for that matter) goes further to protect the referees. Of course, some balanced criticism could be acceptable, but when managers and squads group up to do verbal gangbangs on the refs in the media after games, it is borderline the act of inciting violence towards the involved ref, and should be punished with a 10 game ban or similar.

You have much to learn. Always blame the ref. And if you’re watching, call him a wanker.

It’s not difficult.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
deleted, decided I can't be arsed

Last edited:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Hopefully this is a good start if refs start to communicate their reasoning behind controversial or borderline decisions. The policy of saying nothing just drives a wedge between fans and officials. It won’t end the debate around controversial matters but if they start explaining why they made certain decisions ( even if they are wrong as Mike Dean has admitted) they may actually get treated with a bit more respect from fans and players.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here