Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Reduced Fresh Mussels from Supermarket : Advice Needed

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Don't do it.

Mussels are risky enough if you eat them from a top restaurant, let alone reduced stuff from a supermarket.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
If thou botherest to read Leviticus *cough* thou wouldst know that eating shellfish is an abomination that must result in death by stoning :) (Lev 11)
Likewise, refrain thee from any work at all on the Sabbath (Exodus 35), getting thine hair trimmed (Lev 19), or verily, planting two different crops in the same field (Lev 19).
Refrain from wearing garments made from two different kinds of thread for likewise thou must be stoned, yeah unto death.(Lev 24)
Blaspheme ye not, lest thou be stoned (Lev 24).
Consort ye not with ladies of menstrual unseemliness for they are in no way clean and thou mayest be cast out from the people. (Lev 15)
If thou hast a defect in thy sight (e.g. glasses) thou may not approach the altar of the Lord. Yea, neither crookback nor dwarfs may approach or stoning doth shirley await thee. (Lev 21)
Leviticus states also that thine slaves must only be purchased from neighboring nations, so Irish, Welsh, Scottish and possibly French slaves are fine, but Belgian ones not, else thou riskest stoning. (Lev 25)
The book of Exodus (Ex 21) commands us that indeed, we may sell our daughters into slavery. It's all good, verily.
Finally, layest thee not with another man. That is a definite no-no. (Lev 18) And thou can guessest the dire sanction therein.

Thou mayest kiss the hem of my garment for this advice and for the sake of Yahweh, I counsel thee most urgently to steer one wide berth to circumvent the dread molluscs and consumest thou not the Lord's abomination. Here endeth the word of the Lord.
:moo: :hilton:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
If you need to lose weight, go for it!
huge-fart-smiley-emoticon.gif
:shit:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thou mayest kiss the hem of my garment for this advice and for the sake of Yahweh, I counsel thee most urgently to steer one wide berth to circumvent the dread molluscs and consumest thou not the Lord's abomination. Here endeth the word of the Lord.
So you are saying that you are the Lord?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If thou botherest to read Leviticus *cough* thou wouldst know that eating shellfish is an abomination that must result in death by stoning :) (Lev 11)
Likewise, refrain thee from any work at all on the Sabbath (Exodus 35), getting thine hair trimmed (Lev 19), or verily, planting two different crops in the same field (Lev 19).
Refrain from wearing garments made from two different kinds of thread for likewise thou must be stoned, yeah unto death.(Lev 24)
Consort ye not with ladies of menstrual unseemliness for they are in no way clean and thou mayest be cast out from the people. (Lev 15)
If thou hast a defect in thy sight (e.g. glasses) thou may not approach the altar of the Lord. Yea, neither crookback nor dwarfs may approach or stoning doth shirley await thee. (Lev 21)
Leviticus states also that thine slaves must only be purchased from neighboring nations, so Irish, Welsh, Scottish and possibly French slaves are fine, but Belgian ones not, else thou riskest stoning. (Lev 25)
The book of Exodus (Ex 21) commands us that indeed, we may sell our daughters into slavery. It's all good, verily.
Finally, layest thee not with another man. That is a definite no-no. (Lev 18) And thou can guessest the dire sanction therein.

if they smell like fanny , don't eat them , if they smell slightly salty you could perhaps simmer them in a mixture of lemon juice , olive oil , tomato puree , cayene pepper and garlic......salt and pepper...if they still smell like fanny , put them in the radiator of your mates car.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Friend of mine developed a full-blown seafood allergy after being sick from some dodgy mussels.
Just saying :shrug:

Seriously I never eat mussels, oysters or sea urchins unless they are fresh and there's an 'r' in the month which is what my old man taught me. I wouldn't ever buy them in a packet from a supermarket bargain or otherwise! Personal choice of course.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I bought some fresh mussels reduced from Supermarket deli counter. The fact that they're reduced means they are already on the turn so need to be extra careful. The instructions say discard any open or broken shells. If I did this I would be discarding nearly all of them as most of them are open meaning my original bargain would no longer be a bargain. It also says to tap half open shells and if they don't close immediately discard them too.
If I followed all of these instruction to the letter I would be left with about 10% of my original investment. As they were originally reduced by about 70% without doing the maths (which no doubt some smart arse on here will do for me) I have ended up paying significantly more than the original unreduced price per kg.
How strict do you think I need to be in following the instructions? Is the Supermarket just covering themselves by being over cautious?
Has anyone on NSC cooked and eaten open shelled mussels and survived?
Looking forward to hear from you if you have.

Take them back. Reduced or no, they shouldn't be sold if they're off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

BIt naughty quoting from The West Wing but not crediting the source!!!

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
Well, thanks for everybody's concern but i'm about to go for it. Rechecked mussels doing the tapping thing. Some that were ok this morning seemed to have died during the day, but rest seem ok. Being as vigilant as possible. Decided to go with Moules a la Creme which is basically Moules Mariniere with cream. Recipe: Fry shallots in butter until soft, add mussels, garlic, wine, salt n pepper. Simmer for 5 mins. Add cream. Serve and garnish with parsley. I think its a dish worth dying for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here