Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redknapp

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I guess the Championship has been a more "typically English" league in recent times than the Premier League ... quite physical, often quite long-ball. You do need to be able to mix things up a bit to get out of this division.

In time maybe it will become a bit more continental, as sides like Brighton and Watford rely more on foreign imports. That will probably lead to more foreign managers.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As someone who has obviously seen him at work week after week, can you tell me what Redknapp's Plan A is and what he does when things go wrong? I'm genuinely interested, as obviously I've never had a reason to follow any of his teams closely.

In his final year at Spurs it was just attack, which is great when it works, no doubting that.

However it doesn't work in big away games, thus our less than impressive record at Man Utd, City, etc.

The main difference between Sexy AVB and Harry was the way he used the bench, AVB will make a change in the middle if teams park the bus to try and unlock them, Redknapp just threw forwards on which doesnt work, at times we had 5 forwards on getting in each others way.

He also has his favorites to the point of injury, he refused rest/rotate/players leaving players like Walker and Ekotto playing with injuries, you play 6 more games in the Championship so that will be a nightmare.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
That list makes me want to vomit. Adkins, Rodgers, MM and Di Matteo only...the rest can sit in the away team dug out only.

I'd take any of these, despite my joy of tika taka. Steve Bruce was close but I don't think I could watch his big fat head every week.

Malky Mackay
Brian McDermott
Nigel Adkins
Paul Lambert
Brendan Rodgers
Chris Hughton
Roberto Di Matteo
Mick McCarthy
Billy Davies

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agreed. It is an absolute dog of a list. Lambert, Rodgers and Di Matteo for me. I don't think I could hack Nigel and his middle management act week after week.

They do know how to get out of this league though.

I would suggest a manger like Redknapp wouldnt, I know he got promoted with Portsmouth but they spent a fortune.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
He lives on Sandbanks, Poole. Nowhere near London or Brighton, but he does have a helicopter!

I'm going to say it - Harry will be our next manager. I'm not overly happy about that, but I think he will be

I don't think you clearly read exactly what I put, I am completely aware of his home residence, hence why I said "Brighton won't exactly be a lot quicker in travelling terms than say London is from where he lives"

Not that it matters really, I still don't think he will end up at The Amex, and if he does then so be it, it's the team I support not any one individual in it.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
I don't think you clearly read exactly what I put, I am completely aware of his home residence, hence why I said "Brighton won't exactly be a lot quicker in travelling terms than say London is from where he lives"

Not that it matters really, I still don't think he will end up at The Amex, and if he does then so be it, it's the team I support not any one individual in it.

Bondy will struggle with all the roundabouts round Chichester

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
In his final year at Spurs it was just attack, which is great when it works, no doubting that.

However it doesn't work in big away games, thus our less than impressive record at Man Utd, City, etc.

The main difference between Sexy AVB and Harry was the way he used the bench, AVB will make a change in the middle if teams park the bus to try and unlock them, Redknapp just threw forwards on which doesnt work, at times we had 5 forwards on getting in each others way.

He also has his favorites to the point of injury, he refused rest/rotate/players leaving players like Walker and Ekotto playing with injuries, you play 6 more games in the Championship so that will be a nightmare.

fair points although to be fair to harry he ended the away whodoo s at le filth and Liverpool and won at Citeh to get us champs league

To be unfair to him his lack of plan b was totally apparent in 2 consecutive end of season collapses and yes you are right, whereas avb might put on Tom carroll or the Hud to change things, harry would just chuck on defoe to do his shift and shoot or (god forbid) crouchy so dawson could try and smack his face with long balls

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting. So we could go from a boring and cautious Plan A manager to a ridiculously open and naïve one. Great!

You're right about one thing, and that is that AVB is a VERY, VERY sexy man. I'd love to see him crouching in the Amex technical area one day.

Jose and AVB in the Premier League.

Id love to be the forth official between those two

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
AVB was very unlucky to finish 5th on 72 points. Spurs got 3 more points than the previous season when they finished 4th - same goals scored (66). That's some achievment when you consider in 2011/12 Spurs had Modric, Van Der Vaart and an Adebayor that gave a shit.

2 years ago Spurs finished 5th with only 62 points.

AVB has also got an extra 10% out of Bale nobody knew was there. He really is a very good manager, but that's not to say Harry is a bad manager even though he's inferior to AVB. In Harry's last season at Spurs they only shipped 41 goals, so 5 less than this season. In terms of the Albion, if he had a defence of Kucsczak, Bruno, Greer, Upson, Bridge and protection of Bridcutt and Spanish Dave I don't see him changing very much. Harry did a good job of improving Lennon and you wonder whether he could do the same for KLL and Buckley.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
AVB was very unlucky to finish 5th on 72 points. Spurs got 3 more points than the previous season when they finished 4th - same goals scored (66). That's some achievment when you consider in 2011/12 Spurs had Modric, Van Der Vaart and an Adebayor that gave a shit.

AVB has also got an extra 10% out of Bale nobody knew was there. He really is a very good manager, but that's not to say Harry is a bad manager even though he's inferior to AVB. In Harry's last season at Spurs they only shipped 41 goals, so 5 less than this season. In terms of the Albion, if he had a defence of Kucsczak, Bruno, Greer, Upson, Bridge and protection of Bridcutt and Spanish Dave I don't see him changing very much. Harry did a good job of improving Lennon and you wonder whether he could do the same for KLL and Buckley.

Harry and Lennon fell out massively thanks to Harry c unting him off to the press - yes good defensive record in his last season but then he had King and Koboul which avb did not, as classy as Vertongen is he is not as good a defender as the two named. Again excellent point re modders, vdv and an actual trying adebayor. Honestly he might not do the worst job but you would end up hating him you really would

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Harry had Kaboul who is a beast and BAE- I believe Him and Verts would have beaten that record, he also had a non donkey Walker whose confidence was shattered by playing with a broken toe last season

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
how about we get Keano in, and if he loses at home he has to fight his way out of the Hikers Rest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here