Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Red Card - Sheff Utd

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sheffield United 1-1 Brighton

Lewis Dunk is not happy at all about that challenge. If today has proven anything it's that if you don't get sent off by the ref on the pitch you've got to do something pretty horrific for VAR to show you a red
[22/02, 18:29] Paul: PENALTY APPEAL

Sheffield United 1-1 Brighton

Big penalty appeal from Brighton now as Ezequiel Schelotto's cross is charged down by Ben Osborn.
That hit him flush in the hand. No penalty given.
That was surely more of a handball than either of the big calls at Turf Moor. Baffling..

Both quotes from bbc sports.. so not just blue and white tinted glasses. Every comment from Chris Waddle was against us in their commentary

Chris Waddle, a washed up ex footballer, if both decision were against the Toon then they would have been both definitely a penalty and a red card, also be would be going on about an excellent away point.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, I really don’t get this ‘they both went in out of control’ argument. You don’t ignore the foul just because Dunk was not fully in control.

Genuine question; do you send them both off?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I knew Phil Thompson was thick, I didn’t realise he was that thick though

He’s wrong.

Both the BBC TV and radio5 teams felt it was deliberate by Potter today to abandon the “nicey-nicey passing game, where opponents happily pick us off”.

So there’s been an about turn, survival needs must, but it came from Potter.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I knew Phil Thompson was thick, I didn’t realise he was that thick though. There is absolutely no way that Potter has lost faith in his preferred style of play, he’s just clever enough to know you need to vary it depending on who you are playing. Potter is a quick learner.

I know, its just his ineptitude of the pundit, he's having his Andy Warhol moment :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Why is everyone so obsessed what pundits and media think about this or that? "The radio commentator said", "three pundits think..".

Reading the balloon thread peoples main issue seemed to be "this is catastrophy because the press is going to talk about it!"... so what? Do the press have some sort of magical powers meaning you are in deep shit if you upset them? Are these fat gossiping tabloid wankers able to summon demons or something?

What on earth did media do to deserve this priestlike status?

Phil Thompson, in this case, is a human with two eyes and a subjective brain, similar to most people (the exception being people who lost their eyes or sight).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chris Waddle, a washed up ex footballer, if both decision were against the Toon then they would have been both definitely a penalty and a red card, also be would be going on about an excellent away point.

Whether it be internationals or club matches, Waddle’s a purist who hates the way we played today. It’s not an anti Albion thing, he’s always been outspoken about his passion for football played on the deck, possession craved.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why is everyone so obsessed what pundits and media think about this or that? "The radio commentator said", "three pundits think..".

Reading the balloon thread peoples main issue seemed to be "this is catastrophy because the press is going to talk about it!"... so what? Do the press have some sort of magical powers meaning you are in deep shit if you upset them? Are these fat gossiping tabloid wankers able to summon demons or something?

What on earth did media do to deserve this priestlike status?

Phil Thompson, in this case, is a human with two eyes and a subjective brain, similar to most people (the exception being people who lost their eyes or sight).

Evening poindexter :wink:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Those quotes are from the BBC Football live page. Waddle on 5 Live argued that it was a red card in the commentary - "he's gone over the top" - and although a bit sniffy about our chances of staying up concluded.
"Brighton weathered the storm, they defended well, put bodies on the line...Brighton will be pleased with a point"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000dr85

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
1f08075b41074192fece034cf3bf0b3e.jpg

Looked a red to me

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The point of the Radio5 team is that Lundstram got there second, took the opponent and endangered his safety. Intent or bad luck doesn’t come into it. He was not in control when he impacted on Dunk.

Dunk wasn’t in control when he slid in after a poor first touch.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It was but not when playing away with a weak ref and a hostile crowd. VAR made a few cock ups today in other games too didn’t it?

It did the spurs one was terrible such an obvious red yet it took twenty replays for the VAR to not give it then after the game admit they made a mistake and should have been red.

Nothing short of a farce now

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
How can people claim it's a 50/50? When he made contact with Dunks knee, Dunk had slide for the ball, made the tackle, the ball had ricocheted off their player, all before contact was made. He was late, went in over the ball, with some force. Red all day long.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Really don't understand the rules of this sport any more...
Arm out, away from body, blocks the ball's progress... Why is this not handball?
Tackler's leg comes in above the height of the ball, hits someone on the knee because he cannot pull out. This is almost a textbook definition of 'not in control'. Why is this not a card?

In both instances, 2 qualified referees have looked, with the benefit of slow-mo and different camera angles, and neither incident warrants action. WTF?

The isn't a dig at VAR or indeed the referees themselves (particularly). Just when did the rules change so much?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I knew Phil Thompson was thick, I didn’t realise he was that thick though. There is absolutely no way that Potter has lost faith in his preferred style of play, he’s just clever enough to know you need to vary it depending on who you are playing. Potter is a quick learner.

He said we played well. I thought he was pretty fair as we had changed our flavour of tick tacs:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here