Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Record Ban

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
RECORD BAN IMPOSED ON ARTEST

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest has been banned for the remainder of the season for his role in Friday's brawl with supporters of the Detroit Pistons.

Artest jumped into the stands to confront the Pistons fans after he was struck by a bottle of water thrown from the crowd, sparking a huge brawl that caused the game to be abandoned.

Several of his Pacers team-mates joined him in the melee and the NBA has also handed out suspensions to Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal.

Artest's ban, the longest in NBA history for a non-drug related offence, will cause him to miss the final 72 games of the season. Jackson has been suspended for 30 games and O'Neal for 25.

"What he (Artest) did was unforgiveable," said NBA commissioner David Stern. "It was a horrible scene and it is up to us to see it is not repeated.

"I have been a commissioner for 21 years and this is the worst game I have ever seen.

"I spent the weekend reviewing more tapes than I have in many years combined. It is my responsibility to decide on penalties for player conduct.

"We have to make the point that there are boundaries in our game. And one of those is the boundary that separates the players from the court."

Indiana's Anthony Johnson who also banned for five games, while four other players received automatic one-game bans for leaving the bench when the brawl erupted.

Artest will be suspended without pay, costing him an estimated $5m.

The previous record non-drug suspension was the 68-game ban handed out to Latrell Sprewell in 1997 for choking coach P.J. Carlesimo.
:eek:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Seems a little harsh in my opinion. Ben Wallace of Detroit pretty much started it all off and yet has only got six games.

Having said that, you can't wade into the crowd and start hitting people.

One thing is for sure and that's that it screws up any chance Indiana had of challenging this season, so in that respect its actually done Detroit a lot of good as only them, Miami and possibly Orlando are now serious contenders in the East.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Go Raptors!

Thay came back from 20 down to beat San Antonio last night. Rafer Alston (aka streetball legend Skip To My Lou) scored 20 as they took the fourth quarter 33-6.

Star player Vince Carter scored four, but if they can beat a great team without a contribution from him I guess that's a good sign.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
samparish said:
Thay came back from 20 down to beat San Antonio last night. Rafer Alston (aka streetball legend Skip To My Lou) scored 20 as they took the fourth quarter 33-6.

Star player Vince Carter scored four, but if they can beat a great team without a contribution from him I guess that's a good sign.

And they've got the player with the best name in the leage...

Michael BOSH!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
At the same time you cannot throw bottles of water onto the court.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
My guess is that the fans responsible will be identified and banned like they would for throwing things on to the pitch/court over here. Police are investigating the incident too, I feel its highly likely that Artest will be charged as he waded into the crowd and hit the wrong guy. Jermaine O'Neal could be in trouble too as he decked someone, but they ran on court to attack him which will work in his favour.

One player (can't remember who, plays for another team) probably summed it up well by saying "you think people won't want some NBA money here?"

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I thought this was going to be about the new version of Sussex by the Sea.

Cairnsinho

Jul 14, 2003
For anyone remotely interested here's the incident as it went out on US TV. Shame you don't get to see Artests foul on Wallace that sparked it, but keep an eye out for Artest smacking the water boy when he has a little too much to say.

Return match-up in Detroit could be fun, scheduled for Christmas Day.

nbahoopsonline.com/Pics/video/fight2.asx

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Cairnsinho said:
For anyone remotely interested here's the incident as it went out on US TV. Shame you don't get to see Artests foul on Wallace that sparked it, but keep an eye out for Artest smacking the water boy when he has a little too much to say.

Return match-up in Detroit could be fun, scheduled for Christmas Day.

nbahoopsonline.com/Pics/video/fight2.asx

Bloody hell! I'd heard it was baad, but nothing on that level. Makes what Eric Cantona did a few years ago seem tame in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here