Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Recommendations for a pre-match day-out in Croydon?

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I thought I'd give you all an update on my day out in Croydon.

In a nutshell there is nothing to see or do. There is however at least three McDonalds and three Wetherspoons, oh and a lot of flyovers. There also seems to be a lot of 15 year old girls pushing prams.

End of report.

I was expecting to see a picture of you in a helmet and Flak jacket like most reporting from a warzone.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
I know exactly what it is - and I don't think we'll be sitting down so won't need cushions - thanks for the advice anyway.

BTW I've probably been to Selhurst more times than you have.

I doubt you have been to Selhurst more than me. I've been going since 1979

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
More Palace lies... you take the drum to away games and you have to manufacture an atmosphere at home.... Your so called atmosphere is the biggest myth in football.

Well the drum was not at West Ham or Liverpool, and the atmosphere was definitely good there

At least we dont have to hand out song sheets or put words to songs on the screens

We have fans, not customers

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Palace had clappers on multiple occasions before we went down that strange road (before your time as wasn't in PL). Palace ran Groupon deals for years to temp fans in. Goal music, goal scorer call and response. A drum FFS!! Creating an ultra group to deal with the total lack of atmosphere and interest, hiring goons in from spurs to go woah woah. Handing said hired ultras whatever seats they wanted after they went on the most massive flounce seen from a 'support base'. That is some rap sheet before getting onto changing club colours to look like Barcelona and changing the nickname to something completely irrelevant to the club because someone thought it sounded cool.

You follow the most tin pot and irrelevant club in the league, continually trying to find an identity. You should keep your head down re atmosphere and clappers

Tin pot? We have an identity we dont need to create one. Careful when you talk about nicknames, dolphins anyone? We used to play at a ground called the nest, so eagles is not irrelevant

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Should have gone to the Immigration Department always good for entertainment.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Tin pot? We have an identity we dont need to create one. Careful when you talk about nicknames, dolphins anyone? We used to play at a ground called the nest, so eagles is not irrelevant
Tin pot - absolutely. Desperately searching for an identity. Still, after all these years. Dolphins? Absolutely relevant, as are seagulls.

I get that it's hard to forge an identity in a city with so many football clubs, I really do. No excuse for being so unsatisfied continually though. It shows a shallowness that is utterly pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I doubt you have been to Selhurst more than me. I've been going since 1979

Bloody JCL’s

I can top that…
First went to Selhurst in 1975 when we lost 3-0

Christ we were awful that day!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A visit to the demilitarised United Nations zone that separates Croydon from the rest of London is always worth a visit.

Their one way system is a bit annoying, but can you sample local Croydon delicacies such as "hotdogs" and "fizzy drinks".

It's known locally as "IKEA".

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I thought I'd give you all an update on my day out in Croydon.

In a nutshell there is nothing to see or do. There is however at least three McDonalds and three Wetherspoons, oh and a lot of flyovers. There also seems to be a lot of 15 year old girls pushing prams.

End of report.

One of those pubs is the top rated one in Croydon. The Croydon Advertiser links to a review of it that's worth a read. The headline is "I visited the top rated Croydon pub on Trip Adviser. Why I won't be going back"

https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/visited-top-rated-pub-croydon-20916321

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You famously had clappers at the play off semi in an attempt to manufacture an atmosphere for a game you had already won judging by the hotel bookings that had to be cancelled

We manage an atmosphere home and away, with or without drums and megaphones

Thank God you are BHA

Oh thank God for muppets like you. You really make it so easy to laugh at your club and fans.

Really, thank you.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Oh thank God for muppets like you. You really make it so easy to laugh at your club and fans.

Really, thank you.

Oh woody, you are more than welcome if you are so easily pleased.

Do you have any idea what the general perception is of Brighton amongst the rest of the footballing world? Thought not

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
For those that went last night, how did you enjoy your experience? looked like you enjoyed the last couple of minutes. Its good fun celebrating a win at your rivals ground isnt it? What? Oh, only a draw? Sorry guys

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Should have headed to downtown Mogadishu, much nicer and the locals much much more friendlier and civilised!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Didn’t bother with that had a day out around Borough Market and it’s pubs. Direct train from London Bridge to Norwood junction approx 20 minutes. Much more pleasant way to spend the day.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

But without that sliver of land we cant develop the ground. Work cant start until that is resolved. In 2018, it wasn't going to be a problem, then Sainsburys saw an opportunity to hold us to ransom, and decided the sliver was worth way more than they originally thought.
Remind me again how long it was between the Goldstone and the Amex?

So holding Zaha to ransom, because you want want you think he is worth, is not the same as Sainsbury's are doing to you? The irony.

Are they just supposed to bend over and give poor little palace what they want? Not a very good argument tbh.

Where is the money ring fenced btw? Like i said, you already have a stadium, you have had nearly a billion pounds and spent it on overage players on big contracts instead of putting lipstick on the pig.

We were homeless, and without the greatest owner in the world, we wouldn't be where we are today. I know it agitates you, and facts are not Palaces strongest point, but we had more restrictions in our way then a slither of land. And when we did get agreement, the prices rose considerably, nearly treble in price.

So suck it up buttercup and realise that Parish only has his best interest in his heart, not the fans. Tony, on the other hand, totally get us and is head and shoulders above Parish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here