Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a VPN provider please O/T

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any expats out there who can recommend a VPN provider to enable watching Iplayer and BBC sport videos from abroad?

I'm pretty sure there are a few of you who use VPN?

Thanks

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Any expats out there who can recommend a VPN provider to enable watching Iplayer and BBC sport videos from abroad?

Thanks

I tried one called ExpatShield and it seemed to screw things up somewhat, so avoid that one. Have only just managed to uninstall it all!

Not much help I'm afraid!

Keeny01

Sep 24, 2008

Thanks

Used a co called VPNUK (dot) net for a good few years. Very solid service, never had any issues and use it to watch BBC/ITV/SKY etc daily, but you can't get some sites like TVcatchup.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Used a co called VPNUK (dot) net for a good few years. Very solid service, never had any issues and use it to watch BBC/ITV/SKY etc daily, but you can't get some sites like TVcatchup.

I use this one too..

No complaints.. Any issues, their service desk is quick to resolve them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, it's a jungle out there if you use Google to search.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Think it’s a case of you get what you pay for. All the free ones are loaded with pop ups and are really slow. Agree with KZN’s comment about Expat Shield – who needs viruses when you can download this little beauty.

This site review 5 of the better VPNs available

I use Strong VPN and have never had any problems.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Does anyone have any idea whether a VPN can handle poor internet connections?

The problem I have is the connection here is flaky and often large downloads gets interrupted and you have to start again. There is not much point in buying a VPN service if the files I want to download are so big that they cannot be completed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Icy Gull, do you have a vpn capable router? Do you have someone in the UK that has an internet/vpn router that would be obliging?
If yes to these two questions, you could create a tunnel between your two routers and send only traffic for BBC etc. down the tunnel and not use the tunnel for anything else, such as NSC. This way you will need no software or have to pay anything.

DanielT

Does anyone have any idea whether a VPN can handle poor internet connections?

The problem I have is the connection here is flaky and often large downloads gets interrupted and you have to start again. There is not much point in buying a VPN service if the files I want to download are so big that they cannot be completed.

Unjani!

Can't you get a download manager that can resume downloads? (ahh flashback to 16mb Netscape download on a 14.4 modem!)

williamparker786

Feb 2, 2012
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a network technology that creates a secure network connection over a public network such as the Internet or a private network owned by a service provider. When you’re using a cheap VPN, you are not using your ISP bandwidth quota because all of your connection are routed through the VPN. Since this VPN service doesn’t impose any bandwidth limit, you can download anything you want

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a network technology that creates a secure network connection over a public network such as the Internet or a private network owned by a service provider. When you’re using a cheap VPN, you are not using your ISP bandwidth quota because all of your connection are routed through the VPN. Since this VPN service doesn’t impose any bandwidth limit, you can download anything you want

How do you think that the data gets from the VPN service provider to your computer? It will be via your router and ISP, so they will know how much data you are downloading. What VPN actually does is encrypt all of the traffic so that it cannot be read. The ISP bandwidth quota will still be hit by the encrypted traffic but it will not be readable by the ISP, however, they will still know how much data is transferred.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
and another point, re: VPN performance....my DSL connection gives me 6mbps but when i use my ukvpn connection, i get somewhere between 3 and 4mbps. quite a significant drop but still more than enough bandwidth to stream video etc, etc. for what it's worth.....

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
and another point, re: VPN performance....my DSL connection gives me 6mbps but when i use my ukvpn connection, i get somewhere between 3 and 4mbps. quite a significant drop but still more than enough bandwidth to stream video etc, etc. for what it's worth.....

Not sure if this is due to the overhead of the encryption or the ukvpn site throttling the traffic, or both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here