Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Reasons to be cheerful….

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Although I applaud the sentiment and I'm a big fan of Mr Byrne, do you think there's a danger of such sites encouraging people to bury their heads in the sand? There is so much going on, not least the actual undermining of democracy in this country. It might make you feel slightly more optimistic about the future, but a lot of people don't even realise how bad things are

By any measure of any point in history things really aren't that bad.

What you call "burying heads in the sand" I call looking after myself, friends and family and getting on with my life. Immersing oneself in bad news really won't make my like any better.

IMHO the invention of 24hr news and then social media, twitter being the worst by far, has caused people to castrophise and live in a distorted reality.

Anything that tries to redress the balance can only be a good thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

What you call "burying heads in the sand" I call looking after myself, friends and family and getting on with my life. Immersing oneself in bad news really won't make my like any better.

IMHO the invention of 24hr news and then social media, twitter being the worst by far, has caused people to castrophise and live in a distorted reality.

Agree. In fact globally, there is less violent crime, less ilnness, less conflict (believe it or not), less prejudice, more equality, less poverty and a better standard of living for more people. It may not seem like it, but on a timeline, we are doing well. If we can get climate change under control we will be in good shape. Although figures like Trump and Johnson make it feel like we are heading in the wrong direction, in fact these are just the last gasps of a disappearing world of straight, white, privilege.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Exactly.

Watching/listening to wall to wall noise about: Ukraine, China, Trump, domestic politicians you may detest from the left or right, broadcasts slyly portraying Omicron in a vaccinated population as bad news, only serve to drag down the human spirit.

You can keep informed on facts, ensuring they are facts, but still truly live a life each day in between that.

Enjoy interests, keep fit, talk about positive stuff.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have finally taken the leap of leaving Twitter.

Seemed mad that I was allowing a f**king algorithm to make me so miserable and depressed every day.

It was very liberating.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Good move. I came off all social media about four years ago. First to go was Facebook. I have never been on Twitter and I ditched Instagram too.
I don’t miss any of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good move. I came off all social media about four years ago. First to go was Facebook. I have never been on Twitter and I ditched Instagram too.

I’m able to able to use Instagram as ‘old school’, literally as place for posting occasional holiday, garden or wildlife photos, and admiring those of positive other people/businesses I follow.

I’m vaguely aware there was a shift a few years ago, where instead of being just photo sharing, posts became politicised etc (I’m not talking about Brexit/Remain type stuff) with a load of subjective narrative and hate. AKA social media.

Boring innit.

I avoid it with ease.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Forums like NSC, while not social media in the strictest sense, are also not great for MH, and while I appreciate it can be a valuable resource etc.as members will tell you, it effects the brain and dopamine levels etc.albeit in a more subtle (or not) way. Step away from it for a week or two and it's seen through different eyes, or take things like 'the best song you've heard today' or Wordle thread, what drives them is a desire to be validated, to display our peacock feathers, no different to any other social media in that arguably unhealthy aspect.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Forums like NSC, while not social media in the strictest sense, are also not great for MH, and while I appreciate it can be a valuable resource etc.as members will tell you, it effects the brain and dopamine levels etc.albeit in a more subtle (or not) way. Step away from it for a week or two and it's seen through different eyes, or take things like 'the best song you've heard today' or Wordle thread, what drives them is a desire to be validated, to display our peacock feathers, no different to any other social media in that arguably unhealthy aspect.

Would disagree about Best Song You Have Heard Today thread as it is just spreading the joy and improving peoples knowledge (certainly mine) of different genres I would not normally listen to - say Rockabilly or Soul...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh god this thread will do.

I enjoyed this, others might too.
It might even make posters cheerful (momentarily)

[tweet]1501827642085019650[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here