Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich [Merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
£80million, £56million, £20million... These players missed penalties for Real Madrid. Nightmare night for Real.

Congratulations to Bayern Munich, a home Champions League final against a weakened Chelsea and with their donkey in midfield suspended. Could it have gone better?

The Champions of Europe will not be domestic Champions. They need to revert to the European Cup name, make it a fairer title.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What conclusions can we draw?

Play four across the back in a rigid zonal formation with two holding midfielders and even the best team can find you hard to break down. The snag is that creating your own chances is severely limited.

How do you defeat this system. Accurate crosses from deep might work. Round the outside and hard cross the centre for a striker to run in. Or crosses to the far post for header back across goal will work because the defender is meant to keep close to the centre half (West Ham). The Bayern defender was lured out of Real's second goal and a threaded pass was good enough. But this was just awful defending. Or hump numerous balls into the channels and let the big forwards outjump the defence. Or with an appalling success rate if the striker cuts in a shoots from the edge of his box, a right footed striker like Chopra on the left.

Or if the tricky striker can collect the ball and run down the channels like Suarez did against the Albion at the Amex.

Tenacious defending can hamper a winger like Kazenga, With Vicente the only thing is to try an channel his play into blind alleys, but he knows this and can fool them, but if they double up on him, we need a quick player he can thread the ball to. Navarro in the same situation passes square (except once when fed by Vicente, he shot and scored!)

Last edited:

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I f***ing loved it when Jose stormed down the tunnel after Real lost on penalties. Not so special now Mourinho? Why weren't you consoling your players as any dignified manager would? You can't, can you? Because it's always about one person. YOU! Please don't come back to England to manage because you're an arrogant tool. :lol:

Bayern have some class players who will hopefully SLAUGHTER Chelsea in the final.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Uefa shot themselves in the foot again. They should wipe the cards for the semi finals. They are gonna have a champions league final missing 6-7 of the best players.

Agreed. It's ridiculous that a player can get booked for an innocuous challenge and potentially miss the biggest game of his career. It's in UEFA's interest too surely to have the best players featuring in the final.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I f***ing loved it when Jose stormed down the tunnel. Not so special now eh Mourinho. :lol:

Bayern have some class players who will hopefully SLAUGHTER Chelsea in the final.

Yeah. Don't you hate the way he went to the Bayern dressing room to individually congratulate their team. What a wanker.

Also, Chelsea to win the final. Don't understand the anti-English bias on here.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah. Don't you hate the way he went to the Bayern dressing room to individually congratulate their team. What a wanker.

Also, Chelsea to win the final. Don't understand the anti-English bias on here.

If that's true then I retract my comments but I've never liked Jose Mourinho.

Peace. :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agreed. It's ridiculous that a player can get booked for an innocuous challenge and potentially miss the biggest game of his career. It's in UEFA's interest too surely to have the best players featuring in the final.

I think the yellow cards are fair enough, forget about those when you reach the semi-finals. It's a great shame people like Roy Keane and Paul Scholes missed out back in 1999, and there are probably a dozen more examples.

John Terry, however, deserves to miss the final. No excuse for his random act of violence. What a complete proll that man is.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
13079010.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I f***ing loved it when Jose stormed down the tunnel after Real lost on penalties. Not so special now Mourinho? Why weren't you consoling your players as any dignified manager would? You can't, can you? Because it's always about one person. YOU! Please don't come back to England to manage because you're an arrogant tool. :lol:

Agree.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was just reading that Chelsea will receive just 17,500 tickets for the game in Munich. Seems a bit low if you ask me.

Still, it's only Chelsea. f*** em.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was just reading that Chelsea will receive just 17,500 tickets for the game in Munich. Seems a bit low if you ask me.

Still, it's only Chelsea. f*** em.

I presume it's the same for Bayern?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I presume it's the same for Bayern?
I've no idea. It just seems a little low for a stadium that holds 80,000. Clearly, far more locals are going to be able to get their hands on tickets than Chelsea supporters. Perhaps therefore, it would have been fairer to raise both team's official allocations to around 25,000. I believe Man Utd and Chelsea were both given 25-30,000 when the final was held in Moscow.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Well, I'll be supporting Chelsea in the final because I'd love Di Matteo to win that trophy, he seems a fantastic man.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
3 Bayern players suspended too. Surely Uefa must rethink the suspensions system. That's 7 of Chelsea's and Bayern's first team suspended.

Why re-think the suspensions system? Players know the rules and if they're stupid enough to amass the required yellows (or a red) that means they miss the biggest game in their careers that's too bad. They do need to revise the appeal system though and while they're at it, bring in a way to punish the divers/cheats who get players booked or sent off. If an unwarranted yellow causes somebody to miss the final then fair enough, but if yellows or reds were warranted then tough shit.

The major re-think needs to be on how to eliminate diving and cheating (including all of the imaginary card waving we see too much of).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think the yellow cards are fair enough, forget about those when you reach the semi-finals. It's a great shame people like Roy Keane and Paul Scholes missed out back in 1999, and there are probably a dozen more examples.

John Terry, however, deserves to miss the final. No excuse for his random act of violence. What a complete proll that man is.

Yeah, red cards should mean they miss the next match whether it's a final or not, but the bookings thing just seems absurd. I wonder if UEFA will look at it now seeing as both Chelsea and Bayern are going to have a lot of key players missing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why re-think the suspensions system? Players know the rules and if they're stupid enough to amass the required yellows (or a red) that means they miss the biggest game in their careers that's too bad

Some of the cards can be for fairly mild issues though and given they accumulate over 10 games or so you can be unlucky with a ref and end up on a knife-edge in later games or even worse miss the final. I'm all for punishing players but the time has to fit the crime and missing the biggest club game in Europe for petty issues is not fair and stupid. It undermines the tournament as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports