Reactions to Wigan game - We won't go down and, obviously, Mcghee should stay but....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
We won't go down and, obviously, Mcghee should stay but....

even the most loyal of you would say that, currently, we are SHIT.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Thing is (frustratingly), the lads CAN play at this level, the question is..."Why are we playing shite now?"

???

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Cereal Killer said:
Cos Wigan are way better than us, although that does not excuse the Plymouth game last week:nono:

Or Stoke prior to that!!

:nono:

tonytw

Jun 1, 2004
A long way away
i believe the team just think its a matter of getting 6 points from the remaining games, NOTHING IS GUARANTEED !!!! theres been way to much importance put on this magical 50 points !! theres only 8 games left, and most of those are against top opposition, 3 games ago i felt certain we would stay up, im now not so sure,

the full harris said:
Ninnian Park anyone?
That was a fun afternoon wasn't it!

Yeah, and Sunderland and Millwall was SHIT too.

Oh, we won those.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't at the game tonight, and I take no pleasure at all in saying this but I feared on here yesterday Wigan would expose us tonight for what we are - a very mediocre Championship team, still with a chance of staying up only through a combination of playing above the sum of our parts, and the poverty of the rest of the division.

We are doing outstandingly well to be where we are – but it's no disgrace to be losing to the Latics. They are a fine side, and have several players who would be at home in the Premiership.

Agreed, first and third goals were Prem class - great football. Second and fourth, McGhee will have to bollock the missing markers.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I think the formation doesn't help - we have always looked better (certainly defensively) playing 3-5-2. No-one really had a stinker tonight, although McCammon and Oatway have had better days, Wigan were just that good.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Repugnant Toad said:
No-one really had a stinker tonight
Dan Harding, although someone should have let him know we were in the stripes.

Sorry Toad, you invest too much magical powers in formations. You've said Virgs played well up front, 3-5-2 means putting him at the back, and that's a waste. I'd rather him up front earning one of the two-ish wins we need. We will stick with the two big guys up front - they were our positives tonight - and Leon trying to supply them.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Playing one of the best young centre backs in the league in his best position is far from a waste. Leaking 11 goals in 3 games suggests we're struggling in defence at the moment. Don't underestimate the magical powers of formations, they can be kind of important.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Sorry, but 5 defeats in the last 7 games is relegation form ... something has to change ....

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Re: We won't go down and, obviously, Mcghee should stay but....

the full harris said:
even the most loyal of you would say that, currently, we are SHIT.
yes , at the moment we are :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We had the chances to level the game. No doubt Wigan could have stepped up a gear if necessary but did anyone honestly think that this was a game we could win? From where I sat at the wrong end of the North Stand the 1st goal looked easily saveable but from what others have said, it gave Shabaan no chance. You can't legislate for goals like that as it was hit very sweetly on the volley. From that moment we were on a hiding to nothing against a team who have hit a rich vein of from and head the table.

Heads didn't drop and we won't meet another team with Wigan's capabilities until the last game of the season. We have had a shit run but I still believe in the players and the manager can pull this around over the next few games.

The doom and gloom is a complete over reaction imo and will be put right by a decent performance next Monday. One point will do fine just to re-install a bit of confidence.

No-one said that this was going to be easy and we were lulled into a false sense of security until three games ago!

Repugnant Toad said:
Playing one of the best young centre backs in the league in his best position is far from a waste. Leaking 11 goals in 3 games suggests we're struggling in defence at the moment. Don't underestimate the magical powers of formations, they can be kind of important.

Indeed so, but you have to ask yourself the tough question of whether the 11 goals can be blamed on the formation? I didn't see the Stoke game but I saw the other 9 goals and it smacks to me a bit of grasping at easy solutions. I would put the emphasis on the fact that we came up against better teams who put in better performances than us, one of which was helped a lot by poor officials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports