Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ to Chelsea ???

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
So if he’s successful and if Chelsea want a new manager and if there’s no better options and if there aren’t any other clubs who want him will they come sniffing around?

I dunno, maybe.

He’s won 3 games.

Yes he has won 3 games, but let’s compare his time with us and Potters time and Chelsea - Potter has won 7 of his 14 games in charge of Chelsea in all competitions- I have watched most of those and obviously watched all of ours -
RDZ has made minimal changes to the starting 11 - and he’s introduced his ideas and methodology, the players are relaxed and together and seemed to have totally bought into his way of playing and it’s now paying off, goals are a plenty, we aren’t panicking at the back anymore, we are quick in turning defence into attack, we seem braver in everything we do ! under Potter we always seemed nervous, too cautious and lacking ideas in the final third, exactly how Chelsea are playing at the moment, in all their games so far under Potter I don’t think they have blown the opposition away.
It’s weird how’s it’s worked out, Potter laid the foundation and RDZ has improved us and IMO has been more of a success here than Potter has been at Chelsea even though we have only won 3 games !

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Yes he has won 3 games, but let’s compare his time with us and Potters time and Chelsea - Potter has won 7 of his 14 games in charge of Chelsea in all competitions- I have watched most of those and obviously watched all of ours -
RDZ has made minimal changes to the starting 11 - and he’s introduced his ideas and methodology, the players are relaxed and together and seemed to have totally bought into his way of playing and it’s now paying off, goals are a plenty, we aren’t panicking at the back anymore, we are quick in turning defence into attack, we seem braver in everything we do ! under Potter we always seemed nervous, too cautious and lacking ideas in the final third, exactly how Chelsea are playing at the moment, in all their games so far under Potter I don’t think they have blown the opposition away.
It’s weird how’s it’s worked out, Potter laid the foundation and RDZ has improved us and IMO has been more of a success here than Potter has been at Chelsea even though we have only won 3 games !

I’m not going to worry about Chelsea coming in for RDZ for the same reason I’m not going to worry about Man United coming in for Carl Rushworth or how we’d cope with relegation.

What’s the point of the good times in football if we spend it constantly worrying about made up scenarios that might never happen? Half the forum seems to have this problem where they’re just waiting for the next person to go. It’s like some people take some perverse pleasure in it.

I love football because it’s an escape from the worries of day to day life. Fretting who is going to steal a manager who hasn’t even proved himself here yet just ruins that. Why do people on here only seem to be happy if they’re finding the next door and gloom scenario? It’s an illness.

3 games.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Boehly and long-term project sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Why? Hasn't one of the head coaches at one of his American sports team beeb there about seven years and recently got a contract extension?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Let’s calm down, even if and a big if Potter is relieved of his duties before next season there is absolutely no chance Bloom will allow freely RDZ to talk to Chelsea. I’m pretty confident bloom or as a minimum those around him have the emotional intelligence to release this is overstepping the mark for the fan base, regardless of the fee.

Sure if there’s a release clause there’s nothing we can do, but if that’s the case why worry about something you can’t control.

RDZ is very early in his tenure and has done relatively well to date m, but there will be a period where we don’t get the rub, abit like when he started, totally normal.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I’m not going to worry about Chelsea coming in for RDZ for the same reason I’m not going to worry about Man United coming in for Carl Rushworth or how we’d cope with relegation.

What’s the point of the good times in football if we spend it constantly worrying about made up scenarios that might never happen? Half the forum seems to have this problem where they’re just waiting for the next person to go. It’s like some people take some perverse pleasure in it.

I love football because it’s an escape from the worries of day to day life. Fretting who is going to steal a manager who hasn’t even proved himself here yet just ruins that. Why do people on here only seem to be happy if they’re finding the next door and gloom scenario? It’s an illness.

3 games.

Hey fella, you misunderstood my intentions of my OP - I’m far from a doom and gloom merchant!
I’m proud of our club, what we have achieved and the manager we now have - like you I think he will be massive for us !
I was merely provoking discussion about his potential success with us and how Chelsea, who potentially may have picked the wrong horse with Potter, may come in again and take RDZ and his team.
If it does happen, it happens it’s football and I have trust in Bloom and Barber that they already have coaches on their radar that can come in take the reigns and be bigger and better than those who have been before him!

Like you, I love football too, I love the debate, the discussion with my fellow Brighton fans and fans of other clubs - I’m 51 years old and have now learnt to listen to and understand all opinions, I love it, it’s what the beautiful game is all about!

Hope we are all good, life is too short ❤️

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I really like him and I think he’ll be a great manager for us.

Doesn’t change the fact he’s currently won 3 games in English football and some of our fans are already talking about losing him.
Potter won 4 games here this season before Chelsea came for him, but maybe it was the 12 wins in 38 PL matches last season that grabbed Boehly's attention?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
FFS can we not?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I can see De Zerbi going back to Shakhtar at some point in the future - I think he has unfinished business there - I also get the impression he’s the sort of manager that forms genuine deep bonds with his team players and is passionate about getting any clubs he manages onto an upward trajectory - personally, I don’t think he would move just to advance his career/get more money unless he felt he couldn’t take Brighton any further - we are a way way off that yet. But never say never …
Doubt it what's the point. Their league is abysmal and they rarely do anything in Europe. He was poor in Europe with them as well.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I think RDZ could turn Brighton into a real force. Brighton could become the Newcastle of the South. We could get 50,000 crowds. But without murderous ownership. We’re turning into a powerful club. One with huge influence with our player purchases but then again with the way we look after our new players, coaching staff, planning, inventiveness, brilliant football, local support, community welfare and general love.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think RDZ could turn Brighton into a real force. Brighton could become the Newcastle of the South. We could get 50,000 crowds. But without murderous ownership. We’re turning into a powerful club. One with huge influence with our player purchases but then again with the way we look after our new players, coaching staff, planning, inventiveness, brilliant football, local support, community welfare and general love.
We just need a 10,000 capacity NS Kop now.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Doubt it what's the point. Their league is abysmal and they rarely do anything in Europe. He was poor in Europe with them as well.
A little research if you had bothered to take the time would have proved you completely wrong in your assessment of both De Zerbi‘s possibility of one day returning to Shakhter and of his record there - RDZ never wanted to leave Ukraine when he did, nor leave what you refer erroneously to as the ‘abysmal league’ - he was forced out when Putin invaded - so committed was he to Shakhter he stayed until the absolute last minute. He wasn’t ’poor’ with them, he barely had started but in less than a season he had the club at the top of the league and the Supercup in the bag. Ok Ukraine will never win the WC but they have (had) a really good national team and both Shakhter and Dynamo have usually reached the group stages or at least qualified for the UEFA Champions.

My point about me thinking him not being the sort of manager who dumps a team just for more money is also backed up here:

Bologna were one side whose interest was concrete. They offered De Zerbi the chance to succeed Sinisa Mihajlovic, who was fighting leukaemia for the second time in three years.

“I’d like to, but I can’t do it after Sinisa. Money can’t buy everything,” De Zerbi reportedly told Bologna when turning the job down due to not wanting to replace Mihajlovic in the circumstances.’

let’s just enjoy the present - he’s not going anywhere anytime soon

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A little research if you had bothered to take the time would have proved you completely wrong in your assessment of both De Zerbi‘s possibility of one day returning to Shakhter and of his record there - RDZ never wanted to leave Ukraine when he did, nor leave what you refer erroneously to as the ‘abysmal league’ - he was forced out when Putin invaded - so committed was he to Shakhter he stayed until the absolute last minute. He wasn’t ’poor’ with them, he barely had started but in less than a season he had the club at the top of the league and the Supercup in the bag. Ok Ukraine will never win the WC but they have (had) a really good national team and both Shakhter and Dynamo have usually reached the group stages or at least qualified for the UEFA Champions.

My point about me thinking him not being the sort of manager who dumps a team just for more money is also backed up here:

Bologna were one side whose interest was concrete. They offered De Zerbi the chance to succeed Sinisa Mihajlovic, who was fighting leukaemia for the second time in three years.

“I’d like to, but I can’t do it after Sinisa. Money can’t buy everything,” De Zerbi reportedly told Bologna when turning the job down due to not wanting to replace Mihajlovic in the circumstances.’

It sounds like RDZ loves working at clubs where he can express himself.

He’s found himself at just the right place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure I heard on the radio in the days after Potters switch to Chelsea that regardless of where they finish in the league, his job is safe as the owner wants him to build something there and sees it as a long term project.
icegif-91.gif

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Thanks for the history lesson I did know all this. As nice a guy as de zerbi is.....going back to shakhtar on some romantic football notion is nonsense. He may go back one day if his career goes down the pan.

And what I stated was true. The Ukrainian league is terrible, and that includes pre war. And de zerbi had a bad run in Europe. Strangely enough they've done better in the champions League this season. 6 points in 6 games compared to de zerbis 2 points.

I love de zerbi so far but some of the gushing on this board has been a bit ott in the last few games !

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It sounds like RDZ loves working at clubs where he can express himself.

He’s found himself at just the right place.
Yes, I can see why TB thought he’d be a good fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here