Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ recent interviews

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I commented on how RDZ looked during the post Bournemouth match interview, pointing out how we are concerned about the players wearing out, but no one seems to worry about the manager. So he looked stuffed during that one, but no where near as bad as after Villa, I know we had just been pulled inside out, but he looked beaten. Its got me thinking the kind of pressure he will be under, Three matches every week, three teams to analyse, three match ups to make, new players to train etc and him being such a perfectionist. I know the other managers pull this off year in year out, but they have larger squads, probably more back room help and much more experience. No real question just putting my thoughts out there wondering how the rest of you see the situation.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He looked like he was nearly in tears after villa and his voice was almost gone.

I think he needs a week for each game to prepare as he's so meticulous so this is absolutely screwing him at the moment. How are we supposed to fly back from Marseille and have 2 training sessions before Liverpool, it's so difficult for him. I feel for him , but he needs to become more pragmatic unfortunately we can't go all guns blazing every game.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I was thinking similar on watching his pre-match interview. I put it down to the fatigue of having to answer the same questions over and over.

I'm sure like most managers, RDZ is all about the training pitch and the matches themselves.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The fella puts a lot of pressure on himself. International break soon and I hope he awards himself a few days in Butlins or something
I thought he looked a bit cream crackered in interviews lately. Just need to keep supporting the fella even when it goes a bit pear shapped, like saturday.

Luckily he's at a club where the presure is a lot less then others.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He said in one of those long read interviews posted on here recently that he’s so obsessed with football he prefers having 2 games a week.

The man is just ridiculously intense, the games will take so much out of him. I know how drained I am after coaching kids teams games so I can’t imagine what it’s like for a PL manager! 😂

He’s such a perfectionist and so dogmatic in his view on how the game should be played. When it doesn’t go to plan as it hasn’t in the past 4 games, including Bournemouth where we got away with one, he just takes it incredibly personally. A couple of good performances and results and he’ll look very different.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What does concern me is with the amount of fixtures the lack of proper training we will be getting, I think it’s starting to show in the performances, AEK we looked hopeless most of the game, bournemouth we won but were poor and RDZ admitted himself we won through will to win not game plan, and obviously woeful against Villa.

Training is absolutely vital to a team who play this style of football, you need absolute focus and confidence and I do wonder how losing a couple of days training a week will affect out style of play. If you compare our style to Villa for example, then missing a couple of days trainings a week might not affect them as much because they are capable of playing a much more pragmatic game style at times if they need to.

We’ve had a great start to the season of course that can’t be overlooked but I think if we look at the overall signs we can’t pretend we don’t see them.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
You wouldn't have thought so after comments made post Villa ???
We have diamond here, so let's look after him.
I didn't go, thankfully, but could of watched on TV. Last season my Mum past away on the day we played Villa last year, I was with her not at the game, but for some reason it's left a bad feeling about the fixture, so I decided to go out on a motorbike ride rather then watch it.

I would imagine there would have been some very frustrated fans on saturday and the reactions straight after the game would have not been that great. I try to not read SM and definitly not comment after a defeat, just because a few day later I know I will not feel the same.

But we deifiently need to look after him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What does concern me is with the amount of fixtures the lack of proper training we will be getting, I think it’s starting to show in the performances, AEK we looked hopeless most of the game, bournemouth we won but were poor and RDZ admitted himself we won through will to win not game plan, and obviously woeful against Villa.

Training is absolutely vital to a team who play this style of football, you need absolute focus and confidence and I do wonder how losing a couple of days training a week will affect out style of play. If you compare our style to Villa for example, then missing a couple of days trainings a week might not affect them as much because they are capable of playing a much more pragmatic game style at times if they need to.

We’ve had a great start to the season of course that can’t be overlooked but I think if we look at the overall signs we can’t pretend we don’t see them.
That's what pre-season is for. Plenty of clubs play with a very specific style which contains numerous and finite details about how to play each role on the pitch. City are the most obvious yet, come the final few months of the season, they have little opportunity to train because they're playing two games a week for months.
It's actually more difficult for a Potter-style manager, who is adaptive and fluid in his approach, and sets the team up with the opposition in mind. Pep and RDZ have a clear and rigid way of playing, so that's been coached into the players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On watching the post-match interview on the club website, two things:
1, I don't think RDZ is close to tears. He's disappointed in the immediate aftermath of a bad loss, but seems OK beyond that
2, RDZ is used to combining European with league football -- this isn't new to him (it might be a new application of it, granted).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
On watching the post-match interview on the club website, two things:
1, I don't think RDZ is close to tears. He's disappointed in the immediate aftermath of a bad loss, but seems OK beyond that
2, RDZ is used to combining European with league football -- this isn't new to him (it might be a new application of it, granted).

He can barely open his eyes. Maybe that's just tiredness but he wasn't like that before the game.

I've said on another thread but it was fascinating to see emery pre game. He was soooo confident, bordering on huge arrogance. The pundits asked if he was worried about Brighton and he just smirked. He seems to have de zerbis number big time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He did look absolutely shot after the Villa game in the interview, he was almost lost for words.
Sadly he is a victim of his own success and striving for perfection with quite frankly a small budget and lack of quality depth to the squad is hitting us hard at the moment, the wall of noise from the Ultras on Thursday will be intense and then to face Liverpool at 2pm on Sunday with less than 68 hours later will be torturous, I would not be surprised by another heavy defeat on Sunday.

He is man full of passion and pride, this could break him and he could walk, if we do not rally round and look after him.
Give him that, and he will honour us with loyalty, please, please, don't jump on the squad and him if we struggle over the next few games.

He is a treasure.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I didn't go, thankfully, but could of watched on TV. Last season my Mum past away on the day we played Villa last year, I was with her not at the game, but for some reason it's left a bad feeling about the fixture, so I decided to go out on a motorbike ride rather then watch it.

I would imagine there would have been some very frustrated fans on saturday and the reactions straight after the game would have not been that great. I try to not read SM and definitly not comment after a defeat, just because a few day later I know I will not feel the same.

But we deifiently need to look after him.
Sorry about yr mums passing.
Villa not really a great reminder.
As RDZ keeps saying in interviews....
"WE ARE BRIGHTON"
So if the fans can't work that out then....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think he’s just got to get the balance right on the squad rotation. The more we rotate at the moment, presumably the more training we need to get it right. Maybe we need to accept a little bit of tiredness for the sake of consistency.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You wouldn't have thought so after comments made post Villa ???
We have diamond here, so let's look after him.
This, absolutely. RDZ is not Potter.

Potter thought he had an easy life because he could be home in time for tea. With his family. In Hove. He wasn't wrong. And he loved it. Until he got greedy.

RDZ has only recently, reluctantly, left a warzone. He's still grappling with the language. He's a long way from his family. And still he's operating at a level far above anything Potter could ever have dreamt of.

Club needs to safeguard RDZ from himself. Order him to take some downtime, whether he wants to or not. The alternative is burnout

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The pressure of RDZ is coming from himself ... from his own extraordinary drive.

He has good people around him. He has a leader on the pitch who understands his vision. It's OK for a leader to set the vision, appoint capable people and let them implement the detail sometimes

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He said in one of those long read interviews posted on here recently that he’s so obsessed with football he prefers having 2 games a week.

The man is just ridiculously intense, the games will take so much out of him. I know how drained I am after coaching kids teams games so I can’t imagine what it’s like for a PL manager! 😂

He’s such a perfectionist and so dogmatic in his view on how the game should be played. When it doesn’t go to plan as it hasn’t in the past 4 games, including Bournemouth where we got away with one, he just takes it incredibly personally. A couple of good performances and results and he’ll look very different.
Exactly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here