Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ pillaging Shaktar

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
True that, Brighton could probably not afford him if it wasn't a war. Traditionally Shakhtar has put very high price tags on their players...
I'm sure the Shakhtar fans are delighted.

The reason this is different to Chelsea wanting eg Trossard is that Brighton gains something from it. It makes it a lot easier to accept.

Anyway, I fully expect Brighton to sign a left-footed central defender in January unless Colwill steps forward from the shadows. If you want to play out from the back as consistently as RDZ wants his boys to do, you're eventually going to need a left-footed CB to really make it work or too often there will be situations where players need to use their lesser foot to make a difficult pass... which can have some negative outcomes (despite Webster having a very good left foot).
"Managers never go back for their old players" @Swansman

"Potter won't go to Chelsea". Also @Swansman

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Managers never go back for their old players" @Swansman

"Potter won't go to Chelsea". Also @Swansman
Yeah they usually don't and as far as I know Caicedo, Trossard, Sanchez and the other nine or ten players Chelsea are supposed to sign in January seems to still be in Brighton and this Ukrainian bloke appears to still be at Shakhtar unless I'm missing something.

"There's no pandemic, all of those who are claiming it is are idiots" @Guinness Boy

"Ben Foster predicts Brighton to be relegated and must be right because his blog has many readers" - also @Guinness Boy

People don't always get it right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really pleased with this rumour.

I’ve been banging on about Matviyenko since RDZ took over. The perfect replacement for Burn meaning we can send the ‘insurance policy’ back to Chelsea.

Cultured left foot. Great age and experience.

With regards to Mudryk, Shakhtar want €80m+. I suppose if we make £50m from Tross and spend it all on this guy, it’s possible but that’s not us. I’d write this winger off straight away.
I think I remember us being speculatively linked with Mudryk a while ago, but the price was only (only, ffs!!) £20M then. Time has moved on..........

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Although to be fair if he can get Mudryk from Shaktar as well that’d be good

If we're talking about slightly unrealistic former De Zerbi players then I'd have to go with Domenico Berardi.

Would absolutely thrive in this team but it's a bit outside the realm of possibility.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think I'd rather he didn't 'pillage' Shaktar - or anybody else for that matter. For me, that's the other stage of getting over Potter leaving that I'll have to get over ................

After that Leicester match I was so buzzing about the future - apart from the lads who started, the list of players waiting to return from injury, working through loans or the youth teams waiting to make their breakthrough (think Moder, Mitoma, Enciso, Sarmiento, Kozlowski, Ferguson, Gilmour - and even Lamptey to return to full fitness) was so exciting I kind of didn't want any new players to come in!

I know Roberto will of course want to bring in some of 'his own' players, Shaktar or elsewhere - I accept and appreciate that - but who in our present team or squad do I want to replace? None really, at the moment to be honest - a couple of players from Shaktar? They would almost feel like intruders!

Need to re-adjust my thoughts - January and next summer will be exciting!

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I think I'd rather he didn't 'pillage' Shaktar - or anybody else for that matter. For me, that's the other stage of getting over Potter leaving that I'll have to get over ................

After that Leicester match I was so buzzing about the future - apart from the lads who started, the list of players waiting to return from injury, working through loans or the youth teams waitng to make their breakthrough (think Moder, Mitoma, Enciso, Sarmiento, Kozlowski, Ferguson, Gilmour - and even Lamptey to return to full fitness) was so exciting I kind of didn't want any new players to come in!

I know Roberto will of course want to bring in some of 'his own' players, Shaktar or elsewhere - I accept and appreciate that - but who in our present team or squad do I want to replace? None really, at the moment to be honest - a couple of players from Shaktar? They would almost feel like intruders!

Need to re-adjust my thoughts - January and next summer will be exciting!
We need to add a centre back to the squad.
We sadly need to replace Mwepu.
Both the above need to be in January and be first team squad level straight away.
Oh and I still think we need a striker……

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pillaging? He's linked (allegedly) with one player.
Is anyone linked with showing interest in a Ukrainian player a pillager?

The title of your thread is sensationalist and unfair on RDZ.
I suspect it was meant ironically, in connection with the vitriolic condemnation of another manager for pillaging his former club, as discussed on NSC.

But I could be wrong about that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Both the above need to be in January and be first team squad level straight away.
Yes and no ..............

Turns ....... bench warming now. Minutes soon. Presumably sending Colwill back in January.
Yes ........... but Moder, Kozlowski........
Moder is.
Oh and I still think we need a striker ..............
I'm getting fed up with this - it's been a mantra for years now - and we're still in the PL, for a 6th. season, and in the top half. We just don't buy £40-£50M strikers (and their wages) - it's not how we do things.
Cough - Enciso; cough - Ferguson. Loan for Undav?

Yes, always good to improve the team, so incomings are inevitable, and quite right too - and no doubt we will bring in somebody(s) - probably that we've never heard of!. The idea of this sort of shopping list of positions we need to fill, though - not for me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Centre back looks likely. Colwill back to Chelsea mos
Yes and no ..............

Turns ....... bench warming now. Minutes soon. Presumably sending Colwill back in January.
Yes ........... but Moder, Kozlowski........
Moder is.
Oh and I still think we need a striker ..............
I'm getting fed up with this - it's been a mantra for years now - and we're still in the PL, for a 6th. season, and in the top half. We just don't buy £40-£50M strikers (and their wages) - it's not how we do things.
Cough - Enciso; cough - Ferguson. Loan for Undav?

Yes, always good to improve the team, so incomings are inevitable, and quite right too - and no doubt we will bring in somebody(s) - probably that we've never heard of!. The idea of this sort of shopping list of positions we need to fill, though - not for me.
Turns... hmm. Think we might see him on loan somewhere before really getting much minutes. But who knows, maybe gets the chance against Arsenal and shows he's up for it?

I think you're right Colwill might go back - he would have played a lot for GP by now considering they just have 2.5 fit central defenders.

A new CB wouldn't surprise me.

Think we'll see a new midfielder as well perhaps but kind of depends on how it works for Alzate at Standard and Moders rehab etc. Either which way, one of Caicedo and Ali Mac are likely to leave in the summer and it could be wise to start schooling a replacement before that happens.

Re: strikers... if there's a good one available but like you, I also struggle to see why the club would be desperate about it. Welbeck, Trossard, Undav, Enciso and Ferguson is arguably more than enough unless you can find a really, really good one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Tut tut former manager goes back to previous club to sign their best players. Shaktar might struggle to replace him at the moment as well….

A small number of players whom the 43-year-old covets have already been discussed internally and an option he is particularly keen to pursue is the Shakhtar Donetsk defender Mykola Matviyenko.

De Zerbi managed Matviyenko at Shakhtar and sources with knowledge of the situation say he is determined to recruit the left-sided centre-back, who could around €20million (£17.2m).

Has he got lost and driven past the Amex?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Indeed.

This was the story being reported widely at the weekend.

£85m!
Probably worth it as well. He's going to be some player.

I think Mudryk and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (at Napoli) are a sign that the first "golden generation" of post-Soviet (in that this is the first generation to have been born in ex-Soviet states without ever being under Soviet control) players are about to break through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here