Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ in

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Win 2-0 away on Thursday and he's going to be the best thing since some bloke made a bit of leather into a spherical shape and put air in it.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yes, keep him. I don’t think his current style of football is good enough to get him in a Champions League side for another season tbh and I would be surprised if he left for anything less. De Zerbi ball‘ is exciting and has got us so far but there are systemic weaknesses in its DNA imo.

- so I would like him to stay and develop with us further in some key areas:

• De Zerbi’s style of football concedes too many goals still and until he works out how to protect our inside channels from counter attacks when our full backs play a high press on the touchlines (a key component of us playing out from the back) , leaving so much space behind us, we will keep conceding too many goals. This was a problem at Sassuolo too and Shakhtar.

• Another key aspect of RDZ’s DNA is the deep double pivot in our build up - losing Caceido and Mackie together was a blow that I think he felt deeply, it must have been like pulling the rug from under him. I would love RDZ to have time to rebuild that strength with either Baleba or getting in someone new as the double pivot player that sits back if the other moves out to support a high press or regain in midfield (Gilmour’s role now) - when the oppo plays round that high press and cuts inside to the space the double pivot has vacated. Gilmour, despite being technically excellent, is the not player for that deep pivot defensive position that Caciedo held, he‘s the one half of the DP that breaks forward, the position traditionally occupied by Mackie so RDZ is still having to adapt his system to accommodate the loss of Caceido and find a player that can defend the space behind the ball when we press forward.

• RDZ‘s overloads central attacking areas (with his inverted wingers cutting inside to support the strikers and midfielders) which is his preferred line of attack. However, it is a problem when we retain long periods of possession in the oppo half, as teams then have time to drop into a low block - it is our possession based style of football IMO that push teams back into a low block, not a proactive “sussed” tactic on their part as a way of trying to beat us, contrary to what some folk seem to suggest. The only way through that once they do that, is intricate, fast, short passes and stretching the block - both Ferguson, Pedro and Adingra need to improve in these areas - Facu I think gets it as does Welbeck. I would like to see RDZ have time to improve players in these areas because if he can crack the vulnerabilities in a fullback system that leaves us open in the left and right channels behind the ball (and in central back areas if the double pivot pushes forward) and how to stop teams dropping into a low block in response to long periods in possession when pressing high, I think he could crack it at Brighton.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Is there someone seriously saying RDZ out?

Even the originator of the RDZ out thread isn’t saying “out”.
Some folk are saying they are not bothered if he leaves or suggesting we’d be better off without him. Some are saying he will leave because he has not got the players he asked for. Yes, some posters have more or less said he might as well go.

This thread, I’m assuming, is based on a presumption we should make an effort to keep him from leaving in the summer if that were in our control, even if it means the board spending money to get him the players he needs - that is the context.

I outlined why I personally think it is worth fighting for him to stay and why allowing him time to develop could benefit us in the long run (both in terms of any subsequent transfer being done on the back of success being financially better for us and for us if he can sort out the systemic weaknesses in our game.)

A balance to all the De Zerbi attacking sentiments perhaps?

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s a mark of how we think as a society that viewpoints always have to be categorized by some form of polarity. To hold two opposing views and argue for both is no longer seen as a strength. But I see many posters doing just that, which is encouraging.

RDZ has held a godlike status, fueled by some results, a style of play that is refreshing and statistically dominant when it comes to possession, a media whose obsession is with creating heroes ready for the slaughter, and an attractive and abrasive Latin personality. However, he’s fallible, and we’ve seen those weaknesses long before the media.

Weaknesses do not make a manager a liability though. It may be a cliche but every challenge is an opportunity, and now that teams have worked out how to play against (and exploit) our possession-based play and attempts at the higher press, we need to change. What we are not yet seeing is a change in play or a depth of play. For example, with an Everton or Fulham we perhaps need to think about playing without the ball a bit more. We need to draw them out. And we need our transition play to be lightening fast. I don’t see that happening.

Now, this might not be the right thing to do, but we do need another way of combatting what opponents do. That’s why we have brilliant coaches like RDZ. But he’s not responded yet. Perhaps he feels the players he has only have discipline and intelligence enough to work in one way (note: he will understandably never denigrate his players in public.) Either way, now is the time he will earn his money.

This is what these threads are about. How does our RDZ up or change the game, or see us through this. At the moment we’re “just a sh1t Man City” to coin a phrase. We’ll get there. He’ll get there.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If anyone wants swaying to out I do have in my possession a video of RDZ at a Coldplay concert in Italy , belting his lungs out to 'fix you'.
Really?! :ohmy:

Only acceptable if he was thinking of Solly March whilst singing it.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
I love him. He’s our greatest ever manager. But I actually think it might be time for him to leave this summer to avoid a Poyet occurring.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is there someone seriously saying RDZ out?

Even the originator of the RDZ out thread isn’t saying “out”.

Lol…well there is one post that is as good as saying RDZ out 😉

“Continuously rotating the goalkeepers when Steele is clearly a f***ing liability.

Persisting with Webster who is a donkey.

Roberto is clearly leaving at the end of the season, so doesn't care anymore.

The players are aware he is leaving and their performance's are clearly affected by this.

Roberto, if you are going, then go now. We are a sinking ship. We can get someone like Allerdyce in until the end of the season to steady the ship.”

Wonder who this could be 🤔

Ps who is this Allerdyce?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It’s a mark of how we think as a society that viewpoints always have to be categorized by some form of polarity. To hold two opposing views and argue for both is no longer seen as a strength. But I see many posters doing just that, which is encouraging.

RDZ has held a godlike status, fueled by some results, a style of play that is refreshing and statistically dominant when it comes to possession, a media whose obsession is with creating heroes ready for the slaughter, and an attractive and abrasive Latin personality. However, he’s fallible, and we’ve seen those weaknesses long before the media.

Weaknesses do not make a manager a liability though. It may be a cliche but every challenge is an opportunity, and now that teams have worked out how to play against (and exploit) our possession-based play and attempts at the higher press, we need to change. What we are not yet seeing is a change in play or a depth of play. For example, with an Everton or Fulham we perhaps need to think about playing without the ball a bit more. We need to draw them out. And we need our transition play to be lightening fast. I don’t see that happening.

Now, this might not be the right thing to do, but we do need another way of combatting what opponents do. That’s why we have brilliant coaches like RDZ. But he’s not responded yet. Perhaps he feels the players he has only have discipline and intelligence enough to work in one way (note: he will understandably never denigrate his players in public.) Either way, now is the time he will earn his money.

This is what these threads are about. How does our RDZ up or change the game, or see us through this. At the moment we’re “just a sh1t Man City” to coin a phrase. We’ll get there. He’ll get there.
They are accepted facts that we need to play forward much faster (and wider) to beat the low block and that we need a DM beast to sit and shut down the counter attack when we lose possession in the final third. I'm sure they are recognised and accepted by RDZ but he doesn't currently have the (fit) players to execute efficiently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here