Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RBS chief to get £963,000 bonus

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That really is very excessive, but if contractually agreed he has a right to be paid it.

Dandyman

In London village.
That really is very excessive, but if contractually agreed he has a right to be paid it.

Is that like contractually agreed pension rights ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is that like contractually agreed pension rights ?

Yes, basically if a signed contract that says what you should be paid and what bonus then so be it. Ours are variable

Dandyman

In London village.
Yes, basically if a signed contract that says what you should be paid and what bonus then so be it. Ours are variable

Good stuff. My pension and it's terms are part of my contract, but your mate Dave seems to want to do away with it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good stuff. My pension and it's terms are part of my contract, but your mate Dave seems to want to do away with it.

Shame on you then as he doesn't want to do away with mine.........

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Why so little?

With the current rates of tax it would have made more sense to pay him at least double. What strange times we live in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Capitalism is a f***ed up thing

not really. consdier three points: this isnt the chap who wreaked them, he will have been set objectives to meet to get his bonus and his bonus is in shares. if he's met those objectives, benefiting the company and its owners (us), then he is deserving of the renumeration. owning shares, he has a substantial interest in the business.

whats wrong is in those companies where the bonus is standard or objectives set so low as to be easily achieved, especially were they are "save the business X" which leads to a round of redundancy. of course, that might be the case here too, but i dont think so, i understand he is ahead of the planned rebuilid of the company into one that can be re-privatised, with nice payback for the owners (us again).

capitialism is great when it works properly.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I can't never see how anything other than capitalism will work. Human nature is by its very definition selfish. Therefor you will NEVER be able to share all that a society has with everyone. Should people think that the RBS bonuses are too much then go bank with someone else. Pull your money out and vote with your feet. Go on - grow balls and do it.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Peanuts by comparison with many that work for him in the investment and corporate banking divisions, plus it's all in shares and will probably not be exercisable for 3+ years. TBH if we want RBS to recover this is the least you'd pay for someone to lead it.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Well, given how RBS has done, despite banks' exposure to EU debt, and other banking system problems, surely he deserves a bit of money.

I think analysts should be getting something at least, don't read about quantitative analysts

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Its not as if their in the shit and hes getting a £1m pay off. Hes turned them around and getting what hes conractually obliged to. No problem here from where Im concerned.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Its not as if their in the shit and hes getting a £1m pay off. Hes turned them around and getting what hes conractually obliged to. No problem here from where Im concerned.

Well yes - I agree to a certain degree, however 82% of this company is owned by the tax payer. The tax payer (and the Government if you believe what they say) are against it.

The board have threatened to resign and the Government has backed down. Should have called their bluff.

So much for strong leadership.

He got shares last year. He's the chief honcho of RBS and he's presided over a year when the value of the shares went down. So they pay him a bonus of more shares to reward his "success"?

If he carries on like this, how long before the company collapses and everyone congratulates themselves that we are, at least, "retaining top performers"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here