Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I he is truly given the all clear than he's fit for any side. If not....he has by definition more than an ordinary chance of dropping dead on the pitch and will therefore have to retire. There is no middle ground here.
You don't sound like you're guessing?

Could there be some instances where a player could need surgery and then receive the all clear? Or could he have a condition where things are ok at the moment, but he needs constant monitoring in case things change?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Regardless of what happens next, it seems to me that while they don't want to admit it, Zurich (the charlatans) agree with our club. If they knew he was fine (which is what they claim) then there'd be no need to do these tests.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Regardless of what happens next, it seems to me that while they don't want to admit it, Zurich (the charlatans) agree with our club. If they knew he was fine (which is what they claim) then there'd be no need to do these tests.

There's every need to do the tests, and then some, going forward, now the issue is in the public domain.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would guess that an insurance company would have the final say in any medical uncertainty dispute!

This is absolutely significant. The Albion, like all clubs, will insure their assets. If the club have picked up a medical issue in a screening, then they're very unlikely to be able to get cover for him, which is a massive risk when you're spending £10m plus on a player.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Depends how faith affects people. Kemy and Best both lost the plot finding Islam.

I'm pretty sure both of those individuals had "plot" issues some time before they found their particular god.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top notch reporting there AN, where do you get your stories from

[tweet]909413205943955456[/tweet]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perhaps if the Albion had spent 3 weeks doing more medical tests instead of bibbling about £2m they might have come to the same conclusion.

Hi SB

More medicals ? To be clear then. You think the club should have ignored their medical (which none of us are fully privy to) or it was of no value and spent £10m and signed him anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi SB

More medicals ? To be clear then. You think the club should have ignored their medical (which none of us are fully privy to) or it was of no value and spent £10m and signed him anyway.
Good of you jump in with both feet!

The bait was, had the club not spent 3 weeks going from £8m to £10m with their offer, they could have had 3 weeks longer assessing the medical situation.
That'll be the same amount of time Zurich have had to come to the conclusion RD is fit to play while being monitored.

Still all water under the bridge now, what with Hemed, Murray and Baldock spearheading this campaign.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Could there be some instances where a player could need surgery and then receive the all clear? Or could he have a condition where things are ok at the moment, but he needs constant monitoring in case things change?

Knowing HWT and his profession, he's not guessing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Knowing HWT and his profession, he's not guessing.
Sure, but Connor Goldson would fit into the middle ground, right? Wasn't fit to play, but didn't have to retire either, had to have surgery instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I do research on heart disase so I know a few things, but I am not 'in the know' with respect to this player...

First of all, like everyone else here we don't know what his condition is. There is a range of possibilities. If he has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart), that is not secondary to aortic stenosis (narrowed blood vessel that leaves the heart - can be widned - Goldson), he's in the same boat as a couple of the poor lads who dropped dead on the pitch (unusually large heart for no special reason other than genes, first diagnosed by autopsy...). I really think this, therefore, is unlikely. These days the clubs are a bit more aware of this and so certain tests will be done as a matter of routine. Some conditions are more prevalent in certain populations, and so there ought to be a greater amount of diligence and hence early diagnosis. But even if he is basically well, he'd probably be uninsurable.

Whatever he has was diagnosed. Whatever he has has not, as far as I am aware, been addressed with surgery. Given the 'difference of opinion' situation, my guess is, if it is cardiomyopathy (and I stress we do not know this) he has a big heart but not big enough for it to yet be clear whether it is just a bit on the big side for an athlete, or it is teetering on the pathological. Most athletes get an enlarged heart to a degree - exercise makes muscle cells bigger. This is normal.

What else might it be? It is unlikely he has catecholamine-dependent ventricular arrhythmias (stress or exercise causing irregular heart beat) because these are potentially serious, yet easily treatable with beta blockers (albeit these cause fatigue which may be incompatible with being a footballer). There are genetic conditions related to mutations of genes that code for ion channels in the heart (electrical stuff - basis of the ECG) but these are symptomless and would not represnt a condition until the person becomes ill (and 'ill' here could be sudden cardiac death).

So I am unsure why the kerfuffle but if he is uninsurable for whatever reason, he be wise to find another job.

BTW, hole in the heart and diabetes are not in the frame - if symptomless and managed, respectively.

:bigwave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do research on heart disase so I know a few things, but I am not 'in the know' with respect to this player...

First of all, like everyone else here we don't know what his condition is. There is a range of possibilities. If he has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart), that is not secondary to aortic stenosis (narrowed blood vessel that leaves the heart - can be widned - Goldson), he's in the same boat as a couple of the poor lads who dropped dead on the pitch (unusually large heart for no special reason other than genes, first diagnosed by autopsy...). I really think this, therefore, is unlikely. These days the clubs are a bit more aware of this and so certain tests will be done as a matter of routine. Some conditions are more prevalent in certain populations, and so there ought to be a greater amount of diligence and hence early diagnosis. But even if he is basically well, he'd probably be uninsurable.

Whatever he has was diagnosed. Whatever he has has not, as far as I am aware, been addressed with surgery. Given the 'difference of opinion' situation, my guess is, if it is cardiomyopathy (and I stress we do not know this) he has a big heart but not big enough for it to yet be clear whether it is just a bit on the big side for an athlete, or it is teetering on the pathological. Most athletes get an enlarged heart to a degree - exercise makes muscle cells bigger. This is normal.

What else might it be? It is unlikely he has catecholamine-dependent ventricular arrhythmias (stress or exercise causing irregular heart beat) because these are potentially serious, yet easily treatable with beta blockers (albeit these cause fatigue which may be incompatible with being a footballer). There are genetic conditions related to mutations of genes that code for ion channels in the heart (electrical stuff - basis of the ECG) but these are symptomless and would not represnt a condition until the person becomes ill (and 'ill' here could be sudden cardiac death).

So I am unsure why the kerfuffle but if he is uninsurable for whatever reason, he be wise to find another job.

BTW, hole in the heart and diabetes are not in the frame - if symptomless and managed, respectively.

So you reckon he's got a dodgy ticker, yes?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It sounds like having a large heart can be either quite distinct or quite slight, with everything in between. If he has a slightly large heart, it may be ok (within normal deviation, as Zurich said - noting that we don't know he has a large heart at all, it's just a possibility), or around the edge of what's considered at risk. An insurance company wanting to take no part in any risk is different to what a player would choose to do. I'd hate to have to find another job if I was a talented footballer. Of course health is more important, but if experts think you'll be fine that would be a tough decision.

Thanks for the detailed reply :thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Big 'ead! :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here