Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Serious question was there a reason it was built off Brighton rather than say Beachy head?

From EoN's website...

"This site was identified following the Government’s Offshore Energy Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA), which looked at the potential for a new round of large-scale offshore wind farms in UK waters. Nine zones were identified and The Crown Estate, who owns the seabed around the UK, launched a tender process known as ‘Round 3’. E.ON was successful in being awarded exclusive development rights within what was initially known as Zone 6 off the Sussex coast. The initial SEA looked at a whole range of environmental and technical criteria establishing the area as suitable for wind farm development; including wind speed, water depth, distance from shore, environmental designations, aggregates extraction zones and major shipping lanes."

The site between Brighton and Worthing evidently came out on top.

The sad thing is that the final project is a massively scaled back version of the original, approved plan.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No they're not.

Unless of course, you're equally 'bloody outraged' at the gas power station in Southwick, or the radio transmitter in Whitehawk, or the array of aerials on Truleigh Hill and Devil's Dyke? No? Funny that. Stop pretending to be cross; it doesn't wash.

In my opinion they are a blot on the landscape. If you think they improve the view from the promenade, then you're most welcome to your opinion.

I agree about the transmitters on Truleigh Hill. Outrageous that they were allowed to be built there. Haven't seen any at Devils Dyke. Power station at Southwick is OK. It's in an industrial area. Haven't noticed the transmitter at Whitehawk - try to avoid the area.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In my opinion they are a blot on the landscape. If you think they improve the view from the promenade, then you're most welcome to your opinion.

I agree about the transmitters on Truleigh Hill. Outrageous that they were allowed to be built there. Haven't seen any at Devils Dyke. Power station at Southwick is OK. It's in an industrial area. Haven't noticed the transmitter at Whitehawk - try to avoid the area.

You've never noticed the transmitter above Whitehawk? Good grief. You can see it for miles - hence why it's there...

So a gas power station (as a specific power producing method) isn't a blot on the landscape, but 116 wind turbines (as a specific power producing method) are?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You've never noticed the transmitter above Whitehawk? Good grief. You can see it for miles - hence why it's there...

So a gas power station (as a specific power producing method) isn't a blot on the landscape, but 116 wind turbines (as a specific power producing method) are?

The power station is one structure located in the industrial area around Shoreham Harbour. It's not exactly beautiful, but then neither is all the stuff around it. So it kind of fits.

The wind farm stretches for SEVEN miles at sea and adds ugly man-made structures to an otherwise unspoilt seascape. If you can't figure out the difference, then I suggest you have a problem.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The power station is one structure located in the industrial area around Shoreham Harbour. It's not exactly beautiful, but then neither is all the stuff around it. So it kind of fits.

The wind farm stretches for SEVEN miles at sea and adds ugly man-made structures to an otherwise unspoilt seascape. If you can't figure out the difference, then I suggest you have a problem.

Oh dear.....this is worrying....but i kind of agree most of that....gulp

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Minimum three pages added with a response like that, did you not know TLO is always right ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Your desire for ugliness is all-consuming. It's not where Southwick power station is located that we're talking about. It's the view of it, which you can see from miles away. That's what we're talking about - and with Rampion as well. I see Southwick, and I see a pollution-belcher, sticking up like a stunted i360.

Out to sea, I see 116 beautiful constructions, producing electricity without polluting the environment, using an never-ending free supply of energy. I find beauty in that.

Besides, the horizon off the Sussex coast was pretty boring without them.

Minimum three pages added with a response like that, did you not know TLO is always right ?

Something worthwhile you wish to add?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

seascapes such as those off the coast of Sussex as sooo dull. just water as far as you can see till the horizon. look a boat! (man made too) whats that right out there, is it a rig, a lightboat (mad made)? otherwise there is nothing. now we have a substantial point of interest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Instead of the potential for producing 700MW of electricity (as per the original approved plan), it will 'only' be able to produce 400MW.
But on the positive side, the technology is continuing to improve, so if something better is available in a few years, they haven't wasted so much. One of the links you gave said the turbines will be twice the size in the 2020s.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I live within view of them and think they're fine. They're a positive thing.
What I do have a problem with is the ****ing "apartments" going up on the other side of us that has blocked a third of my view of the Downs and looks like a prison. It's not even affordable housing, luxury apartments. We've already started getting your homeless out west, we don't want your toffs as well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
seascapes such as those off the coast of Sussex as sooo dull. just water as far as you can see till the horizon. look a boat! (man made too) whats that right out there, is it a rig, a lightboat (mad made)? otherwise there is nothing. now we have a substantial point of interest.

I find an uncluttered horizon more interesting ..and the sea especially when it’s windy or stormy can be amazing ....on the other side of the coin would I prefer a nuclear power station such as Hinckley Point....no ta

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The view from the back of my house is something like this. I can't say they improve the view,although it could have been worse.

_56857052_56857002.jpg

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Your desire for ugliness is all-consuming. It's not where Southwick power station is located that we're talking about. It's the view of it, which you can see from miles away. That's what we're talking about - and with Rampion as well. I see Southwick, and I see a pollution-belcher, sticking up like a stunted i360.

Out to sea, I see 116 beautiful constructions, producing electricity without polluting the environment, using an never-ending free supply of energy. I find beauty in that.

Besides, the horizon off the Sussex coast was pretty boring without them.

Something worthwhile you wish to add?
Out to sea,I see 116 eyesores on what was once a beautiful unspoilt horizon. I also see a possible shipping disaster waiting to happen .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here