Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rampion wind farm - Turbines will be 689 feet tall !!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Except it doesn't work like that, the whole process of maintaining chalk grassland involves long periods of sheep grazing and removing certain invasive scrub plants, you don't just lay a piece of turf.

The original chalk grassland was maintained from the 13th century onwards by huge flocks of sheep and created an eco system that was quite distinct from other areas. The flocks have dwindled, pushed out by economic reasons and a return to arable farming. With less sheep around the grassland becomes prey to scrub and bracken which pushes out other flora and fauna. What remained was then churned up during the Second World War by the Downs becoming a huge military training ground particularly artillery and tanks. A return to arable farming post war has meant very few areas survive and it is only in the last decade or so that attempts to get chalk grassland back to its former state have been made, even then these are in very few areas, Lullington Heath is the biggest in East Sussex

The 'original' chalk grassland is not original at all though is it? The 'downs' were originally covered with trees and I'm surprised no'one has ever really started a campaign to replant them and restore to their original state when plenty of other 'conservation' projects have less merit but more effort

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
All the Cressidas and Tarquins who are bemoaning the potential 'spoiling' of our sea view, by these structures. If you swapped the word 'turbines, for 'sculptures' and told them Sir Anthony Gormley had designed them, they'd be all over it.

Poor effort, SAG doesn't identically copy his own work 200 fold does he?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In addition, it will create more than 750 new jobs. Brighton needs more jobs that aren't seasonal or service sector.

I really cannot think of one negative about this project, especially considering I personally will appreciate the new view, which seems to be the only real negative the NIMBY's can think of.

The tea boy is the only talent from the area that is likely to have the right qualifications though? And these jobs are construction only I would guess, once up & running it'll be down to 20 odd just looking at a bank of screens or toeing out with a can of WD40 when it's nice and calm

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Poor effort, SAG doesn't identically copy his own work 200 fold does he?

You don't know your Gormley, he has used repetition a number of times. Check out Another Place from 1997 and Event Horizon from 2007.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Permanently polluting the lands we live, feed and drink off with carcinogenic chemicals, which then leads to further pollution as the gas is used - or environmentally friendly windmills that double up as artificial reefs for sea-life.

No brainer for me.

I'm a keen sea angler and as far as I'm concerned this is not only a great source of cheap clean energy, this is going to give the marine eco system a place to flourish rather than be scoured by beam trawls. It's all good in my book, I'm with you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here he is - the man with the doom mongering of super tankers just randomly hitting things whilst out at sea all the time

Quite.
How on earth do tankers currently navigate all the existing obstacles and other ships?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The 'original' chalk grassland is not original at all though is it? The 'downs' were originally covered with trees and I'm surprised no'one has ever really started a campaign to replant them and restore to their original state when plenty of other 'conservation' projects have less merit but more effort

Try reading the first sentence of my original post again because that answers your question.

For the record neolithic man cleared the Downs of trees, there then followed many centuries of arable farming before the lure of wealth in the 13th century saw the peasants kicked off and replaced by sheep. They then shaped the land for the next 7 centuries.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Well no, originally it would have been Molton lava and then after that seabed, but I can't see anyone trying to recreate those environments. Come on mate, if it's been the way it is for 800 years, I think it's worth keeping it that way. BUT then again plant some trees because as I said earlier in the thread, the greatest threat to the planet with global warming is the depletion of forests.
Still we could go back to when the downs was just a bunch of gases after the Big Bang!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well no, originally it would have been Molton lava and then after that seabed, but I can't see anyone trying to recreate those environments. Come on mate, if it's been the way it is for 800 years, I think it's worth keeping it that way. BUT then again plant some trees because as I said earlier in the thread, the greatest threat to the planet with global warming is the depletion of forests.
Still we could go back to when the downs was just a bunch of gases after the Big Bang!
I don't. The Downs are the way they are because ever since humans arrived on these islands we've exploited and shaped the environment for our own purposes. What is being proposed is no different from what our ancestors did (in fact you could argue that it's not nearly so damaging), and the only reason people are opposed is because we now have a modern notion that the Downs should be 'preserved'. And the only reason we have that conceit is because our modern lives now mean that we are several stages removed from the daily grind of having to work hard just to ensure our very survival. But the bottom line we still DO need to ensure our survival, and the Downs have to play their part, it's not sufficient to say they should stay as they are because they 'look pretty'. We need the clean(ish) energy, we need the living space, hard decisions have to be made.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Downs have to play their part? Eh? What does that mean?
Sorry this whole idea is daft and will do next to nothing in reducing greenhouse gases which is the ultimate aim here. As I have stated there are many more ways of producing clean energy and reducing greenhouse gases.
This is nothing more than politcal cock showing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here