Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raith Rovers and David Goodwillie

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
thats a twist not heard in reports.

There was muted condemnation of Clyde at the time, however, Clyde were two divisions below at the time he joined and are part time. This is his re-introduction to full time football.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Just to nit-pick, it's not slander but libel - which is much more serious.

It amazes me how many dimwitted Palace fans type libellous nonsense about Dunk.

I reported one on twitter 2 days ago for making 4 separate tweets calling Bissouma a rapist. I've had the usual reply from twitter this morning saying he hasn't broken their rules. There, in a nutshell, is why there is so much toxic stuff on social media.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Whilst I wouldn't want this scum anywhere near our club, why is this all coming to a head now?
Over the last decade he's played for: Blackburn, Palace, Dundee Utd, Blackpool, Aberdeen, Ross Co, Plymouth and Clyde.

Because, at his original trial he wasn't found guilty. Since being found guilty in the civil case in 2016 he has only played for Clyde and now Raith Rovers.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Raith have confirmed he won't be selected and are looking at the contract:

Raith Rovers have released a statement about their signing of David Goodwillie following strong criticism of the club in the last few days.

Addressed from chairman John Sim, it reads: "I firstly want to apologise wholeheartedly to our fans, sponsors, players and the wider Raith Rovers community for the anguish and anger caused over the past few days.

"We got it wrong.

"In reaching our original decision, we focused far too much on football matters and not enough on what this decision would mean for our club and the community as a whole.

"Over the past couple of days, we listened carefully to the fans who have got in touch and I’m very grateful for their honesty. As chairman, as a board and as a management team, we have all learned a hard but valuable lesson.

"This very unfortunate episode is something that we all bitterly regret and we are now wholly committed to making things right. I can therefore confirm that, following a meeting of the Raith Rovers board, the player will not be selected by Raith Rovers and we will enter into discussions with the player regarding his contractual position.

"We share a desire to do what is best for our club and will be doing everything in our power to regain the trust and confidence of the Raith Rovers family."

-----------------------

Suspect he isn't going to go quietly or cheaply.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Raith have confirmed he won't be selected and are looking at the contract:

Raith Rovers have released a statement about their signing of David Goodwillie following strong criticism of the club in the last few days.

Addressed from chairman John Sim, it reads: "I firstly want to apologise wholeheartedly to our fans, sponsors, players and the wider Raith Rovers community for the anguish and anger caused over the past few days.

"We got it wrong.

"In reaching our original decision, we focused far too much on football matters and not enough on what this decision would mean for our club and the community as a whole.

"Over the past couple of days, we listened carefully to the fans who have got in touch and I’m very grateful for their honesty. As chairman, as a board and as a management team, we have all learned a hard but valuable lesson.

"This very unfortunate episode is something that we all bitterly regret and we are now wholly committed to making things right. I can therefore confirm that, following a meeting of the Raith Rovers board, the player will not be selected by Raith Rovers and we will enter into discussions with the player regarding his contractual position.

"We share a desire to do what is best for our club and will be doing everything in our power to regain the trust and confidence of the Raith Rovers family."

-----------------------

Suspect he isn't going to go quietly or cheaply.

Also suspect the chairman isn’t planning on resigning!
Despite basically saying earlier this week “yeah, he is a rapist. But he scores loads of goals so who cares”.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Good on them (finally) but what stupid ********, a shitstorm of their own making. They are now going to have pay him a settlement fee, possibly to the value of his contract.

Can't see many clubs wanting to take him on for next season.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I would suggest the furore is because it appears Raith have fans that do find this distasteful and they are in a position to publicise that fact.

And also that this transfer was mooted before Christmas and their was huge opposition to it at that point.

Add that to the fact that Raith's biggest sponsor is Val McDermid, a strong advocate for women's rights and Raith are very keen (until this point justifiably so) to emphasise their place in the community particularly their support for girls' and womens' football. Raith have built a reputation as being more than just a local club and for the board to force through this transfer in the face of such hostility from people both inside and outside the club "for footballing reasons" seems incredibly perverse.

Edit: Just seen the update. What a shitshow! I almost put in my post above that this was so stupid that there must be more to it that met the eye; that it almost seemed like the equivalent of burning down the ground to get the insurance money. Seems not - just idiots in charge...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
And also that this transfer was mooted before Christmas and their was huge opposition to it at that point.

Add that to the fact that Raith's biggest sponsor is Val McDermid, a strong advocate for women's rights and Raith are very keen (until this point justifiably so) to emphasise their place in the community particularly their support for girls' and womens' football. Raith have built a reputation as being more than just a local club and for the board to force through this transfer in the face of such hostility from people both inside and outside the club "for footballing reasons" seems incredibly perverse.

Edit: Just seen the update. What a shitshow! I almost put in my post above that this was so stupid that there must be more to it that met the eye; that it almost seemed like the equivalent of burning down the ground to get the insurance money. Seems not - just idiots in charge...

Dunno how reliable the attendance figures are but since return of the year their home gates have been 500, down from an average of 1,700 odd before the signing was 'mooted ' (love that word).

If this is true and people were already voting with their feet at the prospect of him signing ... and they still signed him ... Then ... Yep idiots.

Stunk the place out, alienated fans and sponsors and in the end the only person who benefits is a convicted rapist who'll end up getting some dosh for doing nothing. Jesus wept.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where was all this outrage when he was playing for Clyde?

Does it matter? Why don't you ask the Clyde fans / womens team / sponsors etc.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Dunno how reliable the attendance figures are but since return of the year their home gates have been 500, down from an average of 1,700 odd before the signing was 'mooted ' .
The drop in gates is because the Scottish government has limited Scottish gates to 500.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Took them long enough but wonder where he stands from a contract point of view? Will they now have to pay up the contact as surely they can’t sack him because they’d knew all along of his past

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Does it matter? Why don't you ask the Clyde fans / womens team / sponsors etc.

I think it matters because I don't think the man deserves to have his career ended by public opinion. He wasn't criminally convicted of the crime he's being punished for and that doesn't sit very well with me. I don't know the guy and everything that's available about him in the public domain is negative. But the general principle stands for me, I think this is a wild overreaction.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I think it matters because I don't think the man deserves to have his career ended by public opinion. He wasn't criminally convicted of the crime he's being punished for and that doesn't sit very well with me. I don't know the guy and everything that's available about him in the public domain is negative. But the general principle stands for me, I think this is a wild overreaction.

He hasn't had his career ended by public opinion.

He can still play football for anyone who is prepared to take him on.

If no club wants to take him on.....then his own actions have created that situation. Nobodies fault but his own.

It's a good omen that perhaps at last, a number of very very well paid footballers might just consider their actions in future.

I'm well aware this might happen to any club with any player. Now, a club will know that sponsors , supporters, and families will no longer accept this shocking behaviour....no matter who you are or how much you are worth in the transfer market.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

He was found guilty of rape, by a civil court. Yes - not a criminal conviction but certainly not innocent.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He hasn't had his career ended by public opinion.

He can still play football for anyone who is prepared to take him on.

If no club wants to take him on.....then his own actions have created that situation. Nobodies fault but his own.

It's a good omen that perhaps at last, a number of very very well paid footballers might just consider their actions in future.

I'm well aware this might happen to any club with any player. Now, a club will know that sponsors , supporters, and families will no longer accept this shocking behaviour....no matter who you are or how much you are worth in the transfer market.

That's obviously not the case - Raith took him on but the court of public opinion has resulted in them dropping him and being lumbered with his contract. I think you're setting an incredibly high bar for young men to meet. It's easy to sit back having never been in that position and judge, but personally I think the reaction in this case has been well over the top and has effectively ended his career which doesn't sit well with me. Not that it matters - I'm not particularly invested in the case or the cause, just giving an opinion.

He was found guilty of rape, by a civil court. Yes - not a criminal conviction but certainly not innocent.

I'm not in a position to comment, and I haven't and I won't. He should never have put himself in the position to be accused, he should have known better and it's a black mark against his character but I'm not comfortable jumping the assumptions that others are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here