Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Raise a glass to the extended Albion family who wont see 2013

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Tomorrow i say farewell to a lovely man who was taken from the football family at the age of 44. This man had the extreme misfortune to meet up with me in our 20s after knowing each other in our teens. He was then brainwashed into the loves and ways of the Albion. Our first date - yup, some crappy lower league fixture in Jan 96.... But to his credit, he adopted the boys as his own despite being a Sunderland fan at heart. Thinking back over the years we were together I recall the tedium of the 1995/6 season and literally sitting on the terrace steps of the North Stand with him as no one else was there to watch the dross. The protests, the abandoned match v York City, the ARCHER OUT campaign - which we also took to the Worthing Bears basketball too. The Donny match - the tears, the elation and of course, Hereford away. A few trips to Gillingham and then home to WIthdean. Season ticket holders in the South Stand F Block, Row S... next to the Vicar, not far from Lush. Swindon, Cardiff...promotions... escape from relegation. We saw it all together. Even when we split up, our friendship remained...and football still ensued, culminating in the away trip to the Stadium of Light. He was soooo chuffed to finally be there and they bloody well won and chips and curry sauce was dead cheap.
Life moved on and thankfully he met and married a lovely lady; it was a privilege to be at his wedding. I am pleased to say that he did achieve the Amex experience once, last season, versus Sunderland of course!
And so, a wonderful life ended, but so many memories left behind. In his coffin is the Sunderland teddy I bought him that day at the Stadium of Light, a little bit of the football life that was so prominent for so many years. Private goodbyes have been said, many tears shed, but tomorrow I shall wear the Albion and say my final farewell to a best mate and say a 'sorry' for dragging him through the seagull torture! So, if you are having a glass of something later, join with me in raising a glass to Tim Grinstead. RIP Timmy x

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Nice, but sad story.

Glad to see you are also one who believes that men & women can be good mates too.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Sorry for the loss of your friend , that is a lovely tribute.
I lost my best friend last week just before Christmas , maybe to some not the biggest loss in the world but to me after 17 and a half years, gut wrenching ........... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356556773.369732.jpg
Jenny.....,the first dog pictured in the Amex.
Sorry to hijack your thread. Shaun .

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
A word too on behalf of Rick Peckham who passed away just before Christmas after losing his battle with MND. There was a lovely tribute read out during halftime at the Millwall game. He was a wonderful bloke who truly loved the Albion and through family connections became close to the Board but this never stopped him being an ordinary supporter as well. He was also a driving force behind local theatre in Mid Sussex and the Burgess Hill panto in particular which often contained more than one passing reference to the Albion. Cheers Rick.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those who've lost close ones here, I feel for you, especially as these characters were taken so young.

Sounds like you have some great memories of times with them, including following the Albion together.
At least they got to see the club in safe hands, and in the magnificent stadium.

All the best for 2013.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here