Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rail News

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Services via Quarry Line (Purley - Earlswood Fast) being cautioned due to a landslip

Services via Falmer cautioned due to a landslip

Services via Polegate cautioned due to earlier flooding

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Virgo's Haircut said:
Services via Quarry Line (Purley - Earlswood Fast) being cautioned due to a landslip

Services via Falmer cautioned due to a landslip

Services via Polegate cautioned due to earlier flooding

Crikey! The Fat controller has been loose with his cards.

Any straight reds today?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone know what was going on at Burgess Hill this morning?

I saw hundreds of people coming off a northbound train and queuing up outside in Station Road. I assume they were waiting for a bus.

Another landslip? The wrong kind of snow? Leaves on the line?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
edna krabappel said:
Anyone know what was going on at Burgess Hill this morning?

I saw hundreds of people coming off a northbound train and queuing up outside in Station Road. I assume they were waiting for a bus.

Another landslip? The wrong kind of snow? Leaves on the line?
Someone had a heart attack on a train - it was about two trains in front of mine. Apparently they were in a bad way and had to be treated on the train rather than be moved. We waited for about 50 mins for the train to move, it's pretty understandable though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Man of Harveys said:
Someone had a heart attack on a train - it was about two trains in front of mine. Apparently they were in a bad way and had to be treated on the train rather than be moved. We waited for about 50 mins for the train to move, it's pretty understandable though.

Had a heart attack......and in a bad way.

Blimey. A double whammy! :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

I did see the ambulance in the car park come to think of it. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Hope the person was ok- there's never a good time to lose someone, but it always seems particularly cruel at this time of year.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Buzzer said:
Had a heart attack......and in a bad way.
I'm guessing it was a polite way of saying that they'd died. To his credit, the driver did a good job in keeping us informed, which, when this sort of disruption was happening every other week about 10 years ago, they certainly didn't always.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
edna krabappel said:
I did see the ambulance in the car park come to think of it. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Hope the person was ok- there's never a good time to lose someone, but it always seems particularly cruel at this time of year.
Quite, it's grim. It got me thinking about the defibrillators that you get on station platforms now - are they like the ones in the Bond film? Are they meant to be used for first aid by non-qualified people or just by paramedics, the police etc?

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Man of Harveys said:
Quite, it's grim. It got me thinking about the defibrillators that you get on station platforms now - are they like the ones in the Bond film? Are they meant to be used for first aid by non-qualified people or just by paramedics, the police etc?

Well conductors/guards and I think drivers know nothing about them whatsoever. We only actually know about them, because we've seen them on platforms.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Think you have to be trained. They have them in the front office at John Street police station, and when they got them, everyone got an e-mail saying they wanted volunteers to go on the training course.

Put it this way, if I was feeling a bit grim, I'd want to know that the person about to stick 50,000 volts through me knew their stuff.

Though I suppose if you're at the point of seeing the white light at the end of the tunnel, you wouldn't really care, would you...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Virgo's Haircut said:
Sorry, but have I missed something here?

okay ... a little tasteless, so sorry. But it's a bit of a tautology to say that someone's had a heart attack and that they're in a bad way. :down:

Sorry chaps.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Buzzer said:
okay ... a little tasteless, so sorry. But it's a bit of a tautology to say that someone's had a heart attack and that they're in a bad way. :down:

Sorry chaps.

It's ok, but Santas gift to you, has just got a little smaller.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was on the train on which the man was taken ill.

The ambulance crew thought he had a better chance of surviving if not moved. After about half an hour, we were all taken off the train and advised that busses were being organised.

I looked back down the track at all the trains parked on every signal and wondered how the people on those would be moved.

After a while and no busses, and having visited Fourteenth Eye for a chat in his office, we were advised that we could rejoin the train, but not in the rear section where the man had been treated.

I cannot confirm, but I was told he didn't make it. :down:

Very sad indeed, and at least I was just very late for work.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Barrel of Fun said:
Holy shite. Which train was this? My father catches a 748 or something from Preston Park.

It was at BHill at around 8:45 or so, so probably not the train your father was on. It was all a bit of a mess this morning.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Since1982 said:
It was at BHill at around 8:45 or so, so probably not the train your father was on. It was all a bit of a mess this morning.

Thanks. It is always a worry when you can't get hold of someone and you hear news like that.

Very sad news indeed. :down:

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

Two points:
1. If he was being treated on the train it would not have made any difference surely whether it was a moving train or a stationary train. So why didn't they keep the train going to the next siding while he was being treated. Common sense and would have saved so many people's journeys being disrupted.
2. A reason why they should have kept at least one siding in each station. The train could have been moved off the main line and other trains continued operating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here