Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Radio Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
amazingly there are some services that are close to live. Amazon being one of them sometimes. And per a friend in Holland viaplay also seems to be live live as he was commenting on the Charlton game when I was at the match in real time and last night was a good 25 seconds ahead of my peacock feed.

Should be fairly easy to transmit speech only in real time. Granted BBC are pretty hopeless.
I can see the reason for a delay with video, buffering allows for safety margin especially if streaming over cellular. But for audio its ridiculous

The most live of all is AM radio, then FM, the DAB, then streaming stuff

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Geeky question here.

Can you get radio Sussex outside of Sussex (in London) live?

I want to get Brighton commentary live without delay.

Thanks in advance
It's difficult enough to connect with BBC Radio Sussex INSIDE Sussex sometimes! I can't comment on the far eastern boundaries of the county, (that's all Indian territory to me), but certainly towards the Hampshire border the reception is very patchy indeed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I listen to Sussex on the Radioplayer app, on my phone not sure if it’s delayed or live but the scouser behind the commentary box last night was a treat!
I would have lost my bet of the night though as I thought Warren was a certainty to bring up Maupay not going over to the fans last season… he’s not usually one to forgive and forget
I listened on a DAB radio last night those Scousers were extremely angry to say the least !

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
The commentary is live - the method of delivery though means there is a lag . On analogue radio (FM) - hardly any
Radio waves travel at the speed of light, so you'd have to be a long way from the transmitter to notice a delay!

This reminds me of how I used to enjoy listening to Radio 4 at 6pm as I walked across St James's Park, you'd hear the live transmission of Big Ben on the radio before the sound waves from the real thing reached you.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Radio Sussex doesn't/can't put the commentary on Sounds for rights reasons. Even if they did, it wouldn't be 'live' in the sense that the OP means - there's quite a heavy delay.
Was working fine when I listened to it last night from my home in London :shrug:

The Albion player thingie wasn't working for me for some reason so I was googling like mad for options and somehow found radio Sussex broadcasting the commentary. Don't think you can find it direct through the Sounds UI but that link I provided worked for me.

As for the streaming delay not syncing with the video feed - maybe it would be easier to try and add a little delay to the stream instead? I know Twitch and YouTube have this kind of option so maybe Dodgy Dutch does too?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Geeky question here.

Can you get radio Sussex outside of Sussex (in London) live?

I want to get Brighton commentary live without delay.

Thanks in advance
I can just get Radio Sussex up here in Ruislip, only if the atmospherics are good, otherwise (as mentioned on Everton thread), it sounds like wind blowing through Wozzas teeth.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
On the subject of delays, three of us had the Albion game v Everton in our homes. One listening on FM and two watching via TV. FM called me to say 'what a goal', it was still 0:0 on TV.
In the 2nd half text conversation between me and other TV viewer 'how many you up to', '3' came the reply. I was on 4.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I listen to the game on BBC Sounds app. It used to be unavailable but seems to work this season. Delay is about 45 seconds.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On the subject of delays, three of us had the Albion game v Everton in our homes. One listening on FM and two watching via TV. FM called me to say 'what a goal', it was still 0:0 on TV.
In the 2nd half text conversation between me and other TV viewer 'how many you up to', '3' came the reply. I was on 4.
Unfortunately that is physics. TV likely involved internet / satellites with a delay of up to 2 minutes. FM will be practically real time

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
I live 90 miles away in Dorset and it is on my TV freeview, plus BBC radio Solent ,Berkshire and Wiltshire too, so listen via the TV.

Lawros Lip

Sep 16, 2020
I usually forget to turn text alerts off so, due to delay, get a premonition that one of the two teams have scored.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
No, it does not allow you to listen via BBC Sounds to live commentary. I listened to 5 Live extra last night. It was the Radio Merseyside comms but via DAB, so no delay to speak of.
I drove from Liverpool to the West Midlands this morning so took the chance to listen to the 5Live Sports Extra commentary via the Sounds App - loved it of course. Commentator kept referring to Sarmerento in the first half and EVEN Ferguson for most of the game! Warren should have helped them really - I’m looking forward to how he copes with our new Argentinian!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here