Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Race across the World.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was good, but did basically involve them sitting on buses for two months. Would like to see something similar with a lot of trekking and cycling necessary.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
D

The married couple from Reading were the exception. From episode 1 when she was banging on about how hard it had been on HER that her fella had gone partially deaf.....what about him FFS! That summed her up perfectly, everything had to be about her! She had an episode a couple of weeks ago where her and her husband were featured a lot and I'm guessing that was her moment to shine. I was starting thaw on her a bit and then at the end she just reverted to type just banging on about herself. No wonder he went deaf I think I'd be sticking bangers in my ears just to make sure I didn't have to put up with her moaning.

Great series though, as was the first one. Both are well worth watching on catch up if you missed them.

I wasn't that fussed by the wife but agree some of her comments were odd. Although I don't have experience of this so perhaps it is true, but the stuff about him going deaf and her feeling more like a friend / carer then wife was a bit odd. It never felt like his hearing was holding him back but she was putting it onto him

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was good, but did basically involve them sitting on buses for two months. Would like to see something similar with a lot of trekking and cycling necessary.

The first race was more varied with ferries across the Black Sea or merchant ships, trains and buses.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't know how true it is but I read somewhere online last night that they have 36 hours from when they check into the hotel (it does also say that on the wiki page.....which again I know isn't to be trusted at the best of times). Also I don't think it was really fair that the asian lads used their MP3 players as payment to the taxi driver.

I wasn't overly upset though that woman was hateful throughout. Far from it in fact.

I said to someone a couple of weeks back that I think the program was edited in a way that you went through stages of favouring one of the duos. I certainly did.....but not her. The black couple weren't really in it long enough. The mother and son as lovely as they both were at times you wanted to tell her to grow a set and him to stop being a brat. The brother and sister were kinda similar, at times he came across as a bit of a bully but like all younger siblings she seemed to know how to push the right buttons. The uncle of the asian lads came across as a right arrogant prick to start with but seemed to mellow as the series went on I think he was spot on with his comment last night that the race made him realise its a big world and he is just a very small speck on it.

The married couple from Reading were the exception. From episode 1 when she was banging on about how hard it had been on HER that her fella had gone partially deaf.....what about him FFS! That summed her up perfectly, everything had to be about her! She had an episode a couple of weeks ago where her and her husband were featured a lot and I'm guessing that was her moment to shine. I was starting thaw on her a bit and then at the end she just reverted to type just banging on about herself. No wonder he went deaf I think I'd be sticking bangers in my ears just to make sure I didn't have to put up with her moaning.

Great series though, as was the first one. Both are well worth watching on catch up if you missed them.

Bit harsh on the mother and son as he suffered ADHD so they had that to contend with.

Great series though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I really enjoyed it. I was a bit sceptical about watching this series because I found I didn't like any of the couples in the first series, especially the slightly cocky old Yorkshire couple who won it. This had a much better set of contestants though and I knew they'd be travelling through countries I'd either been to or really want to visit.

I agree with most of the [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] assessment. At the start, the Asian guys were probably my least favourite because they came across as very cocky. By the end my opinion of them had gone full-circle especially after hearing the uncle's story. Kudos to them going up Rainbow Mountain after only spending about a day at altitude, 5200m is seriously high and I was really feeling it when I went there after spending a week at altitude.

I think the mother and son were great. You could see how much of a struggle it was for both of them at the start but he seemed to grow in confidence and really enjoy the experience and I thought she handled it well. I think she knew they weren't going to make it to the end and started to prioritise enjoying the time they had left.

I liked the brother and sister. I think they knew how to get the best out of each other and it took a little time for her to get her confidence. It seemed like they really needed the trip after both dropping out of uni courses and not really knowing what they want to do in life. I was hoping they'd come back and win it after they had that big setback in Chile.

It's hard to disagree with everyone's assessment of the married couple. I thought he was a really nice guy but you've got to ask questions of him sticking with her. I loved how they were talking about being closer after the whole experience but I wonder if that was just for the cameras.

It has made me miss travelling though. I wonder how long it will be before I can plan my next trip to South/Central America.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Bit harsh on the mother and son as he suffered ADHD so they had that to contend with.

Great series though.

True but lets be honest that was the only reason they were on the show in the first place. I don't know a huge amount about ADHD but I would have thought taking someone like that on a trip that involves several mammoth (17+ hour) bus journeys probably isn't the greatest idea.

As I say I think it had been edited in a way to pick up on certain things. With him it was always showing him moaning about being hungry. It even played on it when he went off on his own to eat and he ordered most things off the menu.

Likewise I think it just showed her as a typical mum that was struggling let her little boy go and played on that big time. They were certainly my favourite duo though and I would have loved them to have won it but it became quite apparent from about half way through they weren't going to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really enjoyed it. I was a bit sceptical about watching this series because I found I didn't like any of the couples in the first series, especially the slightly cocky old Yorkshire couple who won it. This had a much better set of contestants though and I knew they'd be travelling through countries I'd either been to or really want to visit.

I really didn't want them to win it, especially the wife. She was arrogant. I was cheering for the father and son. The son really grew up during the journey from a schoolboy to an adult.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
True but lets be honest that was the only reason they were on the show in the first place. I don't know a huge amount about ADHD but I would have thought taking someone like that on a trip that involves several mammoth (17+ hour) bus journeys probably isn't the greatest idea.

As I say I think it had been edited in a way to pick up on certain things. With him it was always showing him moaning about being hungry. It even played on it when he went off on his own to eat and he ordered most things off the menu.

Likewise I think it just showed her as a typical mum that was struggling let her little boy go and played on that big time. They were certainly my favourite duo though and I would have loved them to have won it but it became quite apparent from about half way through they weren't going to.

I think they want people with some kind of back story to be fair. The fact that the son was adopted as a young child means he's already had to deal with an awful lot in life that many people don't even think about. Identity means a lot more to us than we think, and people who are adopted face lifelong questions (he was also born with foetal alcohol syndrome, which causes development delays amongst other issues).

The estranged uncle and nephew; the husband who lost his hearing- I'm sure the couple who dropped out after losing their money early on probably had some vaguely interesting back story too, though I've almost forgotten about them. TV producers want people with interesting stories, rather than seasoned types who sail through life. Where would the fun be if it was full of experienced backpackers?

Anyway, I was delighted to see Emon & Jamiul win. They seemed like cracking blokes, who had a life changing experience. And how lovely to see them donate much of their winnings to a charity, influenced by what they saw on the trip. That's somehow much nicer than imagining the continually whinging Jen spending her share of the twenty grand on a new sofa.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn’t the young lad with his adopted Mum born with foetal alcohol syndrome?
i liked her, didn’t like him to start with, but, he grew on me.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not sure i liked that it turned into a 'who can run up a hill fastest' contest. Not really in the spirit of things - only one team going to win at that point.

Great TV

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I really enjoyed it. I was a bit sceptical about watching this series because I found I didn't like any of the couples in the first series, especially the slightly cocky old Yorkshire couple who won it. .

We referred to him as ‘Neil Warnock”, which for anyone who hasn’t watched that series, tells you all you need to know about him.

Really liked the Dad (‘Keith Hill’) and his young lad. Wanted them to win.

The others were fairly forgettable. The two professional young women were dull, and the pair of posh hipsters were likeable enough, but the show wouldn’t work if the travellers were all as unremarkable as they were.

The producers picked them much better second time round.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I really enjoyed this series apart from the fact that just about every journey was by coach. Got a bit boring in that respect. Not too much hitch hiking going on and very few train journeys. The first series was a bit more varied in terms of travel options.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I wonder where the third series will be, when they can eventually film it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Maybe redoing Around The World In 80 Days with teams instead of Michael Palin would be a fine sequel.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Liked the show - but more for the spectacular geography than the people in it.

I spent a lot of time wondering how the camera operators were looked after - where did they sleep - what about their budget - a couple of times you realised that they were sitting in the back of a car on the hitchhike trip - but they did a good job of obscuring their presence most of the time. Every team must also have had a medic / security guy close by - since on the two occasions the guy fell ill with fits and feeling "grey" the medic appeared very quickly.

Nevertheless - good show - and worht the weekly tune-in.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Liked the show - but more for the spectacular geography than the people in it.

I spent a lot of time wondering how the camera operators were looked after - where did they sleep - what about their budget - a couple of times you realised that they were sitting in the back of a car on the hitchhike trip - but they did a good job of obscuring their presence most of the time. Every team must also have had a medic / security guy close by - since on the two occasions the guy fell ill with fits and feeling "grey" the medic appeared very quickly.

Nevertheless - good show - and worht the weekly tune-in.

Yes, they did mention each team had a doctor travelling with them. I assumed one camera operator would have to travel with them on each bus journey and I guess the rest of the support team would be in a van following behind. They would probably need quite a few people and a lot of equipment. When the brother and sister had to get out of Chile sharpish I think they just jumped in the support van.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I really enjoyed this second series, especially as the whole family can watch it together.

The highlight for me was seeing "Beaky" (as we called the blondie) break down at the end as she was pipped to the post by the two lads. She was utterly gutted at missing out on the £20K prize. Marvellous scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here