Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] R4 and Rob Andrew.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know if anyone else caught the R4 interview this morning and R/A was bland to say the very least. Why S/Smith just give Sussex young players a chance, otherwise why bother ? Sure S/S is a great bat, but he ain't a Murray Goodwin.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I heard it. He also thinks England will win the 6 Nations so suggests his judgement is lacking in more areas than one.

is there any news on when the ground improvements will start or, as was always possible, will the only changes be to give us a monstrous block of flats in place of the Sussex Cricketer and that will be that?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Before he joined Sussex my dad saw him do an after dinner speech at a works thing. He apparently did a minute or two on his rugby career and then bored the shit out of everyone by talking inane management bollocks for the rest of it

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Is there any reason why anyone would invest in SCC? I appreciate its not football but is there scope for someone to develop the asset or at least get a fair return on capital invested? Genuine question as I have no idea how cricket finances work

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Before he joined Sussex my dad saw him do an after dinner speech at a works thing. He apparently did a minute or two on his rugby career and then bored the shit out of everyone by talking inane management bollocks for the rest of it
I did a Q and A, which lasted over an hour, with him at Worthing Rugby Club for the RAF benelovent fund and he was excellent. Maybe the hirer asked him to do the management stuff?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
. Why S/Smith just give Sussex young players a chance, otherwise why bother ?
We’ve signed arguably the best red-ball batsman in the world for 3 games, how can that be a bad thing?

It won’t do the young players you reference any harm whatsoever being in and amongst Smith & Pujara day in day out.

Unless I’ve misread your point.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Is there any reason why anyone would invest in SCC? I appreciate its not football but is there scope for someone to develop the asset or at least get a fair return on capital invested? Genuine question as I have no idea how cricket finances work
I suspect it would be difficult (although not losing millions owning a football club looks quite hard). The main difference I think is that county cricket clubs don't seem to buy and sell players, so developing youngsters like the Albion are aiming to do wouldn't bring in money. It might be of some benefit since some of those players might have loyalty/affection for the club and want to stay, so might bring success/trophies.

Reactions: abc

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I believe that with the exception of Durham, the county clubs are notionally owned by their members.
There's little to no significant financial return for sporting success in county cricket, so no obvious reason for an investor to come in other than a slightly deranged love for the game.
We could of course sell Hove to turn it into flats and make millions.

Reactions: abc

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suspect it would be difficult (although not losing millions owning a football club looks quite hard). The main difference I think is that county cricket clubs don't seem to buy and sell players ..
There's beginning to be some talk around this though. The advent of franchise cricket means that the non-franchise holders are starting to get agitated about the loss of their players. There's nothing concrete proposed - yet - but it's being voiced as an idea (Ian Botham has been vocal about this).

Of course, we could go back to the old days when a player had to spend a year living in the county before he could play for them. I imagine Chris Jordan may not have been so keen to hotfoot it to Surrey if he had to spend a year living in Croydon and couldn't play cricket.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
We’ve signed arguably the best red-ball batsman in the world for 3 games, how can that be a bad thing?

It won’t do the young players you reference any harm whatsoever being in and amongst Smith & Pujara day in day out.

All we're doing is giving a very good cheating batsman the game time to get used to English conditions, prior to an Ashes series......it'll probably rain anyway !

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
All we're doing is giving a very good cheating batsman the game time to get used to English conditions, prior to an Ashes series......it'll probably rain anyway !
If it means 3 wins for Sussex (I understand the game enough to know we still need to take 20 wickets of course), who cares. :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Absolutely this.

I heard the Radio 4 interview live and the line the interviewer was taking was that we were getting Smith ready for English conditions. It's nonsense. He's excellent in those conditions anyway and would simply have gone to another county. Labuschagne is playing for Glamorgan.

On the other hand, recent Sussex history had us dominating with the ball before the batflids threw it away. We've gone a bit too full circle for my liking but we'll surely lose fewer games if we can rack up a large number of runs quickly and our younger players can only benefit from better players around them (so long as it doesn't involve yellow sandpaper).

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
Absolutely this.

I heard the Radio 4 interview live and the line the interviewer was taking was that we were getting Smith ready for English conditions. It's nonsense. He's excellent in those conditions anyway and would simply have gone to another county. Labuschagne is playing for Glamorgan.

On the other hand, recent Sussex history had us dominating with the ball before the batflids threw it away. We've gone a bit too full circle for my liking but we'll surely lose fewer games if we can rack up a large number of runs quickly and our younger players can only benefit from better players around them (so long as it doesn't involve yellow sandpaper).
Not wanting to derail this thread.
Am still waiting for an explanation about this poster mocking mental health, fat shaming, alternative shaming and sexism.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Absolutely this.

Exactly. Seen loads of Yorkshire fans moaning about it, the bloke averages 60 in tests. Is 3 games for Sussex really going to scupper Englands chances eh.. :rolleyes: he’s mustard with or without this spell with us. Everyone knows that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here