Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quote from Forest owner!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"The last eight games hurt. We spent lots of money this season and we expected to be top of the league. I was really disappointed."

Unfookinbelievable! FFP my arse and thank god we have TB. What is it with these poxy foreign owners?
and what interest rate is that 'lot's of money' being repaid at?

Would it happen to be a Venky/Tan 7 or 8%?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They do indeed.
I imagine it would be very difficult to stop though
I don't see why. UEFA (and the bodies underneath them, like the FL) should be able to make almost any rule they like. If a club wants to be in the league they have to agree to abide by the rules set by UEFA. If those rules say that for the purpose of FFP, all sponsorship money has to be agreed with the FL in advance, then the FL simply say what figure is acceptable. If the FL can't be sure that the deal is at arms length, then they reduce the figure used to an average level.

Like PSG's deal with the QATAR tourism board - what a farce. UEFA should simply say that that deal can't be used for FFP purposes.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If a rich man wants to spend his money buying players and paying wages for his chosen football team, I don't see what's wrong with that.

FPP should be in place to stop clubs getting into mountains of debt in the forlorn attempt to get promotion to the Premier League.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If a rich man wants to spend his money buying players and paying wages for his chosen football team, I don't see what's wrong with that.

FPP should be in place to stop clubs getting into mountains of debt in the forlorn attempt to get promotion to the Premier League.

I suspect FFP was brought in partly to stop these foreign owners ploughing in the cash then jumping ship when they get bored with their new toy.

It has left a few clubs high and dry - Pompey anyone?

We really are very fortunate to have a mega-rich owner that actually loves the club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find it very scary how someone can spend X tens of millions on a new business and not know all details of the industry it is in. Makes you wonder how successfultheir other ventures are.

I tend to believe they want the associated glory of being part of the football community. These guys watch English football on TV and are seeing the glamorous side of it- the winning goals, the titles, the adoration of the fans, and they think that's what's missing in their lives. You don't get that sort of reflected glory from making your fortune in the petro-chemical industry.

I also suspect that, being such rich men, they're also not used to people saying No to them, so they imagine they can just pick themselves an English club, walk in, and demand everyone comply with their bidding. And are genuinely surprised when sometimes they don't get what they want, or that the team doesn't immediately win every game.

English clubs are playthings to these men, something with which to boost one's ego/ public profile amongst their own countrymen. Nothing more. It's why they don't blink when sacking a manager after only a week in charge, or changing the historic club colours, or trying to alter the club's title to some Mickey Mouse nickname.

Not saying for a second that all British owners are great (hell, we of all clubs know that well enough), but any supporters of a non-top-4 club who have caught the eye of some foreign billionaire these days should, in my opinion, be extremely nervous.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I don't see why. UEFA (and the bodies underneath them, like the FL) should be able to make almost any rule they like. If a club wants to be in the league they have to agree to abide by the rules set by UEFA. If those rules say that for the purpose of FFP, all sponsorship money has to be agreed with the FL in advance, then the FL simply say what figure is acceptable. If the FL can't be sure that the deal is at arms length, then they reduce the figure used to an average level.

Like PSG's deal with the QATAR tourism board - what a farce. UEFA should simply say that that deal can't be used for FFP purposes.

European business legislation would prevent them from saying one club can spend so much, and another can't.

Unfair competition and all that.

Football clubs are all now run as businesses, and if any of them challenged FFP in the European courts, it would almost certainly have to be scrapped.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
European business legislation would prevent them from saying one club can spend so much, and another can't.

Unfair competition and all that.

Football clubs are all now run as businesses, and if any of them challenged FFP in the European courts, it would almost certainly have to be scrapped.
So in your opinion, it would never be possible to have FFP rules, as a European court wouldn't uphold it. I would find that surprising given the amount of time and money that's been spent on it, not just by the football leagues, but also by clubs and their legal advisers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Absolutely.

Providing it is their money they are SPENDING not LOANING to the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here