Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quizz Answers - Name the couples in these songs.

tom

Jul 9, 2009
Kinks - Waterloo Sunset?

Terry meets julie, waterloo station
Every friday night
But I am so lazy, don't want to wander
I stay at home at night

Beatles - Ob-La-Di,*Ob-La-Da?

In a couple of years they have built
A home sweet home
With a couple of kids running in the yard
Of Desmond and Molly Jones.

Steely Dan - Haitian Divorce ?

Babs and Clean Willie were in love they said
So in love the preacher's face turned red

tom

Jul 9, 2009
The idea was that you saw the quiz question thread first then thought about the answers and then came here - rather than come straight here.

Oh well , back to the old drawing board then.

tom

Jul 9, 2009
The idea was that you saw the quiz question thread first then thought about the answers and then came here - rather than come straight here.

Oh well , back to the old drawing board then.

Unlike the bloke who invented the drawing board, of course. He would have had to have got it right first time.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Unlike the bloke who invented the drawing board, of course. He would have had to have got it right first time.

Unless he was trying to design a new drawing board and got it wrong, then he would have to go back to the old drawing board.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Unless he was trying to design a new drawing board and got it wrong, then he would have to go back to the old drawing board.
But surely the reason why he was trying to come up with a new drawing board was that there were fundamental issues with the old drawing board that made it unsuitable for going back to - otherwise why bother?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
But surely the reason why he was trying to come up with a new drawing board was that there were fundamental issues with the old drawing board that made it unsuitable for going back to - otherwise why bother?

Quite - but if he failed to design a new drawing board then the old drawing board is his only option, regardless of whether it was unsuitable or not.

He could have been looking to design a drawing board that fundamentally changed the way a drawing board was to be used and, having failed to do so, had to go back to the way things had always been done, on the old drawing board, and try again to come up with an innovative new drawing board that would render the old drawing board obsolete.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Terence Stamp and Julie Christie in Waterloo Sunset, don't know the others.
Alternatively:
Ray Davies started writing this a few years before The Kinks recorded it. At first, it was called "Liverpool Sunset," but when The Beatles released "Penny Lane," he changed the words so it wouldn't look like a rip-off. Waterloo Bridge is in London, and the lyrics are about a guy looking out of a window at two lovers meeting at Waterloo Station. Davies used to cross Waterloo Bridge every day when he was a student at Croydon Art School.
Or:
It is often claimed that the line, "Terry meets Julie, Waterloo Station every Friday night" is about the relationship between actor Terence Stamp and actress Julie Christie. However, Ray Davies denied this in his autobiography. He subsequently revealed it was "a fantasy about my sister going off with her boyfriend to a new world and they were going to emigrate and go to another country."
According to Kinks biographer Nick Hasted, Terry was Ray's nephew Terry Davies, whom he was close to in early teenage years.
Or:
Ray Davies (From Uncut magazine January 2009): "It came to me first as a statement about the death of Merseybeat. But I realized that Waterloo was a very significant place in my life. I was in St. Thomas' Hospital when I was really ill as a child, and I looked out on the river. I went to Waterloo every day to go to college as well. The song was also about being taken to the Festival of Britain with my mum and dad. I remember them taking me by the hand, looking at the big Skylon tower, and saying it symbolized the future. That, and then walking by the Thames with my first wife (Rasa, who left Ray, taking his two daughters, in 1973) and all the other dreams that we had. Her in her brown suede coat that she wore, that was stolen. And also about my sisters, and about the world I wanted them to have. The two characters in the song, Terry and Julie, are to do with the aspirations of my sisters' generation, who grew up during the Second world War and missed out on the '60s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here