Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quirky things that you like about Football.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Queeing up at the newstand in Churchill Square while waiting for the bus home to get the late Argus with the day's results and Vinicombe's match report!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This. s-l1600.jpg That Shirt !!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Any football ground (not stadium) that is in the middle of their town/city and its very obvious that the entire home support are walking to the ground. Rotherham, Newcastle, Pompey etc.

Wolves, Burnley... there is nothing quite like a mass movement towards a ground through residential streets. And it really helped when away from home, because you just followed that mass. And also, there was no need to worry about how long you needed to leave to get to the ground from the pub you were in - you just followed when everyone else left. Nowadays, the lads in the pub are just as likely to be watching the telly rather than going to the ground.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That Shirt !!

Featuring Graeme Crawford who let in seven at the Goldstone (I think they wore the away strip of white shirt with red 'Y' that day) - which brings up another quirk, mis-heard chants. My friend used to think that when the oppo keeper was keeping us at bay the North Stand were singing 'Send for Crawford' in honour of hapless Graeme. It was, of course, 'Sammy Morgan'....

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think a lot of the quirky things are gone: two I used to like were the old Northampton Town ground where one side had no stand and the cricket pitch behind it and the splendidly named Gay Meadow, for its proximity to the river (and the bloke in the coracle employed to retrieve balls) as well as its name.

What's left? I still like the cottage in Craven Cottage and the bloke in the top hat who waves to the crowd at Peterborough games

...and where you couldn't really see one of the goals.

The beech hedge alongside the touchline at Brechin City is still there
6065931459_3f61600725_o.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sorry - double post

Attachments

• 6065931459_3f61600725_o.jpg
    6065931459_3f61600725_o.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

theboybilly

Observing a club come from way down the football pyramid to build a lovely (if small) stadium and briefly outshine the bigger local clubs who would never have thought a league game between them was ever possible. Also becoming a firm favourite away for many Brighton fans - Burton Albion

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Clicking through a turnstile on a Saturday afternoon knowing that fans in 46 other grounds were doing exactly the same thing at the same time; almost a collective act of worship but with far less optimism.
Being able to find an unfamiliar ground by looking for floodlight towers.
Terrible, ill-judged, half-time entertainment.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Featuring Graeme Crawford who let in seven at the Goldstone (I think they wore the away strip of white shirt with red 'Y' that day) - which brings up another quirk, mis-heard chants. My friend used to think that when the oppo keeper was keeping us at bay the North Stand were singing 'Send for Crawford' in honour of hapless Graeme. It was, of course, 'Sammy Morgan'....

Could that have been an Easter fixture ? Pretty sure that i have seen York play in that kit.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Heard that it is meant to be rather good ? As for pies went to a non-lge game around Buxton,Matlock Town area and the pie was like you had in school served from the metal tray that had been cut into slices !
Bloody lovely on a cold night game. They also have a delicacy called Aggborough soup, which is basically liquid shepherds pie....:lolol:

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Brentfords ground with the atmosphere in the 4 pubs, which will be no more soon.
Not much quirkiness left but years ago football was loaded with it.
I really miss pylon floodlights especially half a mile from the ground you are walking to.

Really think Brentford are making a big mistake. I love that ground, has so much character. Away end is a bit shit though.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Someone posted about Northampton Town,well The Hotel End when full could make a sound and yet you had access to the cricket pitch.HOTEL END.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here