Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick rant on the video relased of motorcyclist who died on the A47 yesterday

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On my push bike I assume drivers are going to do the stupid thing. At that sort of speed you certainly reduce the margin for error.

When I was learning to drive in Worthing 40+ years ago, some of the best advice my driving instructor gave me was "presume everyone else on the road is an idiot". For the most part I have stuck with that. I guess it would be called "defensive driving".

All credit to the mother, though, for allowing it to be used.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TBH I also jump on people for duplicate threads but usually when they are days/weeks apart. Not within 30 mins of one another. I would say that is quite clearly an error and not a 'Look at me' thread, which I have never before written and never would.

Fair enough mate. Apologies for jumping on you quite so fast. My fault.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I feel my original argument of the way it has been broadcast has been lost slightly. It was that I was annoyed about, and I agreed that he was travelling above the legal limit.

However, the driver has been prosecuted demonstrating that he was a fault, however the media and now on here people are jumping on the speed of the motorcyclist as the fault. People drive at varying speeds on roads. You cannot assume that a vehicle will be going the speed limit, and should look properly.

Vegster you quote also seems to resemble someone who hasnt watched the video. He could have only been 40-50 yards or so when the car turned, certainly not far enough to be a "black dot"

There was only one of the two left to prosecute though. Travelling at that speed through a junction like that is surely an offence of dangerous driving ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
On my push bike I assume drivers are going to do the stupid thing. At that sort of speed you certainly reduce the margin for error.

The footage reminded me of earlier today, cycling down to Hove seafront on the Fifth Avenue cycle path, one that is somewhat downhill and so you can pick up some speed and a boy no more than ten is about to walk straight into the cycle lane and only my desperate and booming shout made him step back just in time to prevent a nasty collision. Cycling in towns is like being in a video game, constantly aware and on alert for hazards from cars and people, car doors opening etc.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Regardless of who was at fault, that video has hit me and I know I will be driving more carefully directy as a result of having watched it, and I think that is what everyone should be doing rather than having a row about it...

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Tragic to see a human die so needlessly - deciding to drive at a crazy speed is needless. There's no knowing what could meander into the road at any time, a dog, a child, even a squirrel could cause a fatal accident when you're being reckless on a big speeding lump of metal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here