Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your point is that they'll reap massive destruction, wiping out hundreds of millions in the process?

I was referring to the 1962 crisis. Russia put lots of missiles into Cuba all aimed at American cities. Kennedy stood firm and Kruschev had to withdraw them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was referring to the 1962 crisis. Russia put lots of missiles into Cuba all aimed at American cities. Kennedy stood firm and Kruschev had to withdraw them.

Had heard of that. But we had got our wires crossed. There's a difference between the distance between point of delivery and impact on the one hand, and the range of impact once deployed. I was initially referring to the latter.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Holding our own in WW2 until the Yanks finally joined us (thank to Japan's war mongering) showed that we had the resilience to stand.

Yes but what's that got to do with the cost of sliced bread? I'm as patriotic as the next man but you might as well quote Rourke's Drift or Agincourt; the focus is on current day global socio-economic realities not long past glories.

As for global significance, we have a head of state who is also head of state in 32 countries and is head over 54 countries in total, which is a large proportion of the world's population. This is done, not by force, but by cooperation. Never underestimate the power of good relationships with other countries.

I certainly don't, I believe that are critical; and good relationships with other countries have diddle squat to do with waving a big stick and nuclear deterrence. If you're not going to be my friend then I'll hit you?

The creation of the League of Nations, EEC, UN was all about creating, fostering and cementing inextricable links between nations so that World War would not happen for a 3rd time. Countries economies around the world have become symbyotically intertwined and this will continue. Vested interest and economic reality stops Russia nuking the UK. They've invested countless billions invested here, families of the Russian elite own properties and businesses and live in England, why would they destroy it and the future of their children and grandchildren? Why would they risk the lives of their families? Why is George busy kow-towing to the Chinese? Tie them in, bind them economically and we survive and flourish on their coat tails. I've no doubt that similar moves are being or will be made with India, the next global economic juggernaut.

Nuclear deterrence was the way of the world (and it's left a fearful legacy should the weapons or fissionable materials fall into terrorists hands); economic deterrence is the way of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here