Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Question for NSC's electricians - washing machine in bathroom.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
When I first arrived in the States I was surprised at having electrical outlets in the bathroom. Apparently it's perfectly safe as long as they are protected by a circuit breaker and also their voltage is less at 120V.

I've never been convinced somehow as I don't think electricity and water / steam mix and never use them.

Bathrooms in Australia have sockets in them too. I use mine all the time. My daughter’s first apartment had the washing machine and tumble drier in the bathroom but almost all homes have laundry rooms.

Aussies find it most bizarre that people take their dirty underwear into the kitchen to put into the washing machine! And don’t ever mention carpet in a bathroom. They find that totally weird:eek:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My first thoughts, as an old time electrician, was 100% NO.
But times have changed now. Apparently ring mains are no more, but that's another subject.
Bodians comments of "The cable went through the wall, and the sockets were in the kitchen - so no live electrics in the bathroom" obviously forgets that a washing machine is full of electric circuitry all with 240v running through.
So my thoughts are simple. Do you have hot baths or showers resulting in a steam filled bathroom. Yes, then forget it.
Ring mains are still a thing mate.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know nothing about electrics but I do know that if you are at some time in the future looking to sell your house , it is very off putting for buyers to see a washing machine in a bathroom or a boiler in a bedroom .

Put your boiler downstairs enclosed in a unit that you can access easily and your washing machine in a utility room . If you don’t have a utility room , see if you have space to get it fitted in your kitchen behind a kitchen unit so it doesn’t stick out and is seamlessly intergrated .

You’re welcome…
And if you live in a flat??? Space is of a premium these days although it’s mainly the dryer I come across in bathrooms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here