Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Question for drivers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Massive Ipads for dashboards :nono:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I'm writing an article and I'm looking for a driving analogy. What's the hottest new feature for a modern car to have - the 'must-have' for a driver who wants the latest fad.

And what was the previous hottest fad?

Ultra-rapid charging points for electric cars.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I took a McLaren 570GT around Silverstone for 5 laps about 6 weeks ago. My god that car is an absolute ANIMAL. I also did 5 in an Aston Martin, but the McLaren was just ridiculous.

First time I'd driven a paddle-shift, and I absolutely loved it. No clutch, just a shift up / shift down (7 gears). The bravest I got (when I took the courage to glance down at the speedo) was around 140-ish mph on the Hanger Straight - I could've easily cut diamonds in my sphincter round those corners. Driving back to the hotel in my Honda felt rather ho-hum after that. I'd love a paddle-shift transmission, great fun.

As an aside, I found some cup-holders in the central console once when I had absolutely no idea they were there. I can't tell you how exciting that was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I took a McLaren 570GT around Silverstone for 5 laps about 6 weeks ago. My god that car is an absolute ANIMAL. I also did 5 in an Aston Martin, but the McLaren was just ridiculous.

First time I'd driven a paddle-shift, and I absolutely loved it. No clutch, just a shift up / shift down (7 gears). The bravest I got (when I took the courage to glance down at the speedo) was around 140-ish mph on the Hanger Straight - I could've easily cut diamonds in my sphincter round those corners. Driving back to the hotel in my Honda felt rather ho-hum after that. I'd love a paddle-shift transmission, great fun.

As an aside, I found some cup-holders in the central console once when I had absolutely no idea they were there. I can't tell you how exciting that was.

My (5 year old) BMW has got paddle shift but I confess I’ve hardly ever used it. Re cup-holders though, even after 5 years I’m finding things on it I didn’t know existed (not indicators [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] because I didn’t get them added when choosing the optional extras)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ultra-rapid charging points for electric cars.

If you can find one that works.
Or is not in use.
Or as a Tesla owner finding out Tesla have now opened them up to any EV users.
Or finding out some charging points work out roughly same per mile as Diesel

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Just buy a Honda CR-V - it's got an auto box, plus paddle shift gear change if you want to take control and drive it like a McLaren :)

(Oh, and it has cup holders, too.)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I've driven a few flappy paddle cars. The novelty soon wears off. The fact is the pooter knows when best to change and for 99% of us will get you from A-B or round a lap, quicker and more efficiently than us doing it manually. Good fun though.

ABS is probably the best safety development in the last few decades, everything else just seems to be developed to rebalance all the infotainment distractions

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In my mid life crisis purchase some years ago, I had the delightful combination (as standard fittings) of cassette player, multi CD player and reversing sensors :wink:

I still have it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Is that semaphore indicator arms, like my great aunt had on an old Austin A35 in the early 1970s?

images (12).jpeg

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm writing an article and I'm looking for a driving analogy. What's the hottest new feature for a modern car to have - the 'must-have' for a driver who wants the latest fad.

And what was the previous hottest fad?

I watch a lot of car reviews (sad I know) and have had many cars and I always look for cruise control. Most cars these days come with it as standard.

I'd say the latest fad and the previous latest fads are always based what technology can offer at the time. Once upon a time it was power assisted steering or anti-lock brakes but now it's things like 360 degree cameras for parking, self parking assist, road sign recognition or lane departure warnings etc.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Speed Limiter - for those of us, like me, who have fallen foul of speed camera's the speed limiter does come in very useful. Quick to set from a button on the steering wheel. Putting your foot to the floor does override it should you feel the need....

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I loved the adaptive cruise control on my 2016 Prius (except when the computer would occasionally decide the car in front in heavy traffic was a lot closer than it was in reality and haul the brakes on *hard* - at least it never did the opposite!). Miss it on my Zoe, but adapted to using the speed limiter smartly instead.

As far as the latest newfangled thing: you can now get cars where the side mirrors have been replaced by little cameras on each side and you get a video feed to screens mounted inside of the car. Saves on drag and thus more efficient, along with having other benefits.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I would like to see new cars have CD players in them. No need to have taken them out of most new models surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here