Question about train fares

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aug 21, 2011
Hi I am planning to go to London on Friday, what is classed as off peak?? Can I catch a train before 09.00 as long as I dont get into Victoria before nine or do I have to wait until after 09.00 to catch the train.???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You need to be at Victoria on or after 10:00 hrs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i challenge you to find a station outside of London you can leave after 9:30 and arrive in London terminals after before 10...

tbh, i recall its stipulated as arrival after 10am, certainly thats what i was going to answer.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
i challenge you to find a station outside of London you can leave after 9:30 and arrive in London terminals after before 10...

tbh, i recall its stipulated as arrival after 10am, certainly thats what i was going to answer.

I was stating that off-peak starts after 9.30. However, as long as you're arriving on or after 9.50 in London you can catch any train.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
From the Southern website:

Off-Peak Day
If you're going to complete your journey in a Day check out our Off-Peak Day tickets.

Avoid the crowds by starting your journey after the morning peak period (09:30am) and come back anytime the same day to save money.

Remember all trains after 09:30 are permitted and on some routes you can start earlier. For journeys from outside the London Travelcard Area you can travel on trains that arrive in London Bridge or Victoria at 09:50 or later.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
You haven't a clue what you're talking about

Great contribution. You best scurry along and tell Southern that their website is wrong. That you cannot catch any train outside of the London travel card area as long as you arrive on or after 9.50. Or that other routes are from 9.30 for off-peak travel.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No. Anywhere. As long as you leave after 9.30

Does that explain why I can get the 09.08 Burgess Hill to Victoria at off peak rates!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Southern website:

Off-Peak Day
If you're going to complete your journey in a Day check out our Off-Peak Day tickets.

Avoid the crowds by starting your journey after the morning peak period (09:30am) and come back anytime the same day to save money.

Remember all trains after 09:30 are permitted and on some routes you can start earlier. For journeys from outside the London Travelcard Area you can travel on trains that arrive in London Bridge or Victoria at 09:50 or later.

Thus proving Aadam was making a simple answer unnecessarily complicated!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Thus proving Aadam was making a simple answer unnecessarily complicated!

Not really. You can travel off-peak from 9.30 but if going to London you can catch an earlier train provided you arrive on or after 9.50. Beachhut was suggesting off-peak is only from 9.30 inside the London travel zonal area. Or at least that is how I read it when I made the general comment about off-peak starting at 9.30

A few months ago, Ernest explained how it was that, when I travel from Glynde to Coventry, I can catch the 0735 from Glynde to London Bridge (arriving at London Bridge at 0852) and do so with an off-peak day return ticket (and get a railcard discount as well). If I remember rightly, it was all to do with leaving Euston after 0930.

D

Deleted member 18477

I arrived at London Victoria at 9.59 yesterday and it was off peak ticket.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
This proves what a load of shit catching a train is nowadays, absolutely nothing is black and white and all designed to catch you out and land you with a nice fine.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Great contribution. You best scurry along and tell Southern that their website is wrong. That you cannot catch any train outside of the London travel card area as long as you arrive on or after 9.50. Or that other routes are from 9.30 for off-peak travel.

You know less than nothing, each route has a different off peak time and restriction as has every ticket

Aug 21, 2011
Thanks for all your answers, can I clarify that If Iget say the 09.10 train from lancing which gets me to Victoria around 10.25 that should be OK on a off peak ticket?? To me it seems logical it would be OK but as others have stated its very confusing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks for all your answers, can I clarify that If Iget say the 09.10 train from lancing which gets me to Victoria around 10.25 that should be OK on a off peak ticket?? To me it seems logical it would be OK but as others have stated its very confusing.

Correct. I get a train that gets into Victoria around 09.57 sometimes and that is always Off-Peak

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports