Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queen Elizabeth on the move

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We have taken and commissioned our main fleet entity, and it has a 200 litre an hour leak. Its an embarrassment. Sea trials tend to be before you commission, and I got the impression that workups were for the crew, rather than the ship.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have taken and commissioned our main fleet entity, and it has a 200 litre an hour leak. Its an embarrassment. Sea trials tend to be before you commission.

In a 65,000 tonne vessel 200l and hour is nothing. I think you're letting the press hysteria get to you if you think this an embarrassment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Edited for you.

though you concede it is easily fixable issue?

i think its a fairly minor embarressment compared to the design flaw that it cant use catapult, so limiting it to the new fangled F35 rather than the cheaper and tested F18.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
though you concede it is easily fixable issue?

It maybe, it maybe not. It may need to be dry docked.
The main point is, they knew about the leak before it was commissioned, but kept it quiet for some reason. Im guessing to rush it through.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, why was the issue kept quiet. if they were not embarrassed about it?

It's effectively a working asset - I don't think it's too wise to advertise to your enemy you have a fault with one of your warships ( albeit a common one and easily fixed. ).

D

Deleted member 22389

Why can't we just celebrate the Engineering and skills that go in to building these things, instead of finding fault in absolutely everything.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why can't we just celebrate the Engineering and skills that go in to building these things, instead of finding fault in absolutely everything.

Celebrate? Sorry, but I believe that one of the fundamental design features of a warship should be that it doesnt fecking leak after coughing up 3 billion for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Celebrate? Sorry, but I believe that one of the fundamental design features of a warship should be that it doesnt fecking leak after coughing up 3 billion for it.
Did someone put the Bung in? And I don't just mean the one given to the shipbuilders.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The fault is in the propellor shaft.

The fault on the £3.1bn carrier was first identified during sea trials.

A Royal Navy spokesman said the ship is scheduled for repair and the fault does not prevent it from sailing again early in the new year.
A Royal Navy spokesman said: "An issue with a shaft seal has been identified during HMS Queen Elizabeth's sea trials; this is scheduled for repair while she is alongside at Portsmouth.

"It does not prevent her from sailing again and her sea trials programme will not be affected."

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I keep picturing that thing we had to do in training, im sure all ex matelots remember it, where they stick you in a ship compartment set up... throw a thunderflash into it, and start flooding it whilst you had to use bits of wood and mattresses etc to bung the holes up :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fault is in the propellor shaft.

The fault on the £3.1bn carrier was first identified during sea trials.

A Royal Navy spokesman said the ship is scheduled for repair and the fault does not prevent it from sailing again early in the new year.
A Royal Navy spokesman said: "An issue with a shaft seal has been identified during HMS Queen Elizabeth's sea trials; this is scheduled for repair while she is alongside at Portsmouth.

"It does not prevent her from sailing again and her sea trials programme will not be affected."

Exactly. Trivial. Move on.

Albeit there was a discussion on the radio this morning that we may not be able to pay for the fighter planes that are designed to fly from it.

Then somone mentioned that the Brexit bill will be around 19 times the cost of the boat and planes.....

Then it all went a bit quiet.

What a funny old world.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Exactly. Trivial. Move on.

Albeit there was a discussion on the radio this morning that we may not be able to pay for the fighter planes that are designed to fly from it.

Then somone mentioned that the Brexit bill will be around 19 times the cost of the boat and planes.....

Then it all went a bit quiet.

What a funny old world.

Think I read the planes will cost 120 mill each.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
With water flowing in at a gallon a minute, how long would it take to sink the ship if the pumps all failed and they couldn't find a bucket?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
With water flowing in at a gallon a minute, how long would it take to sink the ship if the pumps all failed and they couldn't find a bucket?
They could always send a load of homeless people down there, all those bags of clothes and assorted blankets would mop it up in no time at all, we have plenty after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here