Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] QR Codes, does anyone use them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The only places I’ve ever encountered anybody using them is at those type of gyms that force you to log into machines and track your progress on your phone and on a central database.
Not the sort of gym I’m interested in.

Oh and I think I’ve checked onto flights and into venues with them before. I still see them everywhere and they’re very easy to use on a smartphone but I rarely use them to follow links unless I need to, to access tickets or flights.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The only places I’ve ever encountered anybody using them is at those type of gyms that force you to log into machines and track your progress on your phone and on a central database.
Not the sort of gym I’m interested in.

Oh and I think I’ve checked onto flights and into venues with them before. I still see them everywhere and they’re very easy to use on a smartphone but I rarely use them to follow links unless I need to, to access tickets or flights.

Anyone who enters the Amex with a paper ticket is using a QR Code, surely you’ve seen that happen?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They are huge in China. Everyone uses them for everyday transactions so they must have some value ???
Yep. Massive in China.

I'm still firmly in the "seem to be more bother than they're worth camp" though. And I do try to keep up with techy stuff. Well, more sort of run along behind getting out of breath than keep up.....

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Everything in China relies on them - transport, restaurants even Boris bike equivalents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Pretty sure I used then on the Lime/Jump e-scooter hire abroad. Scan and go, take a pic when you finish. Easy.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes, as I clearly stated; I see them everywhere.
Sorry, I was replying to the partwhere you wrote” The only places I’ve ever encountered anybody using them is at those type of gyms”. That fooled me into thinking the only places you’ve ever encountered anybody using them is at those type of gyms.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry, I was replying to the part where you said “ the only place I’ve seen them used is at the gym”. That fooled me into thinking that you meant the only place that you’d seen them used was at the gym.

Ah yes! My bad. I typed that then thought “Actually I see them in a lot of places”. I meant to go back and edit but in the excitement of it all, I clean forgot.

My apologies. You are quite right.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you go into any supermarket they scan goods under their till. These goods all use Barcodes. To own a barcode, in other words to put a barcode on your own product, costs money, lots of money. You cant just make up a barcode you have to be given one.
QR codes are different. You make your own up at no cost.
https://www.qr-code-generator.com/

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Got any Apple devices connecting to the wifi? I had no end of problems with the router dropping the wifi signal and needing resets. I've heard since I left that the particular router they supplied me might have a major bug if an iOS device is on the network.

Yes, 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, iMac and Apple TV, as well as smart TV and Skybox. Our router has two wavebands(?) 2.4ghz and 5ghz I think they're called, I configue the devcies to just one or the other so as they don't try to swap on the fly. I think that came about from a forum io read when researching whether to change to them, seems to work fine. Funnily enough the problems you describe are exactly what I had on BT.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yes, 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, iMac and Apple TV, as well as smart TV and Skybox. Our router has two wavebands(?) 2.4ghz and 5ghz I think they're called, I configue the devcies to just one or the other so as they don't try to swap on the fly. I think that came about from a forum io read when researching whether to change to them, seems to work fine. Funnily enough the problems you describe are exactly what I had on BT.

Which speed you on? If you're on the The 63Mbps Superfest 2 uses a different router which I'm told works fine. The router I had for the 35Mbps Superfast 1 was utter tosh. And I know the problem was the wifi from the router, because I was able to resolve it by connecting (via ethernet) an old BT Hub 5 to the Voda router, then switching off the Voda wifi signal and running a wifi network off the Hub 5. Problem eliminated. Plenty of others had similar issues to me going back a few years - I suspect Voda uses several types of kit and there's one particular one that has the issue.

Anyway ... I left them (switched to Shell) when they pulled a stunt trying to up my monthly from £22/mth to £24.50 just 6 months into an 18 month contract claiming they had to do it to address rising costs. All while still offering the £22/mth deal to new customers and offering me to stay on £22/mth if I committed to a new 18 month contract. In other words, the real reason for the price hike was to blackmail into adding 6 extra months to my contract.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Which speed you on? If you're on the The 63Mbps Superfest 2 uses a different router which I'm told works fine. The router I had for the 35Mbps Superfast 1 was utter tosh. And I know the problem was the wifi from the router, because I was able to resolve it by connecting (via ethernet) an old BT Hub 5 to the Voda router, then switching off the Voda wifi signal and running a wifi network off the Hub 5. Problem eliminated. Plenty of others had similar issues to me going back a few years - I suspect Voda uses several types of kit and there's one particular one that has the issue.

Anyway ... I left them (switched to Shell) when they pulled a stunt trying to up my monthly from £22/mth to £24.50 just 6 months into an 18 month contract claiming they had to do it to address rising costs. All while still offering the £22/mth deal to new customers and offering me to stay on £22/mth if I committed to a new 18 month contract. In other words, the real reason for the price hike was to blackmail into adding 6 extra months to my contract.

I live in a bit of a broadband dead spot in a village, the best we can get round our way is around 30mbps as far as I am aware, and to be fair, we get around 30mbps when I run the speedcheck. It allows us to stream 4K movies and TV just fine, almost no instances of buffering, not one that i can rememebr for a few months for sure.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
If you go into any supermarket they scan goods under their till. These goods all use Barcodes. To own a barcode, in other words to put a barcode on your own product, costs money, lots of money. You cant just make up a barcode you have to be given one.
QR codes are different. You make your own up at no cost.
https://www.qr-code-generator.com/

So, (asking for a friend, obviously) if you can print your own codes, then what is stopping someone sneaking their own codes into a large shop, sticking them all over the place, with the purchase money going straight into a dodgy off-shore account?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I live in a bit of a broadband dead spot in a village, the best we can get round our way is around 30mbps as far as I am aware, and to be fair, we get around 30mbps when I run the speedcheck. It allows us to stream 4K movies and TV just fine, almost no instances of buffering, not one that i can rememebr for a few months for sure.

You got lucky then :p.

Good luck with them. Voda have lost me for good at this point. I joined their broadband through gritted teeth having been let down massively by them years ago when they sold me a mobile phone that turned out to be a lemon and they then jerked me around with some seriously poor customer service getting to a resolution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here