Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR in the Conference - Great Idea

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is also the argument that FFP is not fair to smaller clubs as it fixes their available spend at a lower level than richer clubs, thereby setting them at a possibly permanent disadvantage as it introduces a vicious circle. Would any smaller club want to take this argument up? Would this angle also be considered if there was a legal challenge from a club that was fined?

But they voted for it, plain and simple. Small, medium or large they all voted and it was agreed.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
There is also the argument that FFP is not fair to smaller clubs as it fixes their available spend at a lower level than richer clubs, thereby setting them at a possibly permanent disadvantage as it introduces a vicious circle. Would any smaller club want to take this argument up? Would this angle also be considered if there was a legal challenge from a club that was fined?

It's called spending within your means. If a club generates more income (like us) you can spend more. Capital expenditure (like making your stadium bigger) is excluded so it all seems fair to me.

Why should a small club (like Portsmouth for example) be able to spend way beyond their means then default on their debts?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is what Fernandes says in the article:
“Will we fight the fine? What do you think? After all we’ve been through, it’s my middle name – ‘Fight It’ Fernandes,” said the QPR chairman after the club won promotion.

“My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

“If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn’t be right. I’m in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down.”

:ffsparr:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This is what Fernandes says in the article:
“Will we fight the fine? What do you think? After all we’ve been through, it’s my middle name – ‘Fight It’ Fernandes,” said the QPR chairman after the club won promotion.

“My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

“If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn’t be right. I’m in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down.”

:ffsparr:

Parachute payment(s)?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would a court not find that it is a restriction of practice as it stops owners doing what they consider to be in the best interests of their business.
But the clubs following FFP are doing what they think is in the best interest of their business, and if the FL don't stick to the rules they've set then they've shafted those that followed the rules. And it's a private members club - QPR et al can do what they like, and the FL can let whomever they like in. Like an MLS franchise, it's up to the governing body of the league who is allowed in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tony Fernandes talks such utter shit:
“Will we fight the fine? What do you think? After all we’ve been through, it’s my middle name – ‘Fight It’ Fernandes,” said the QPR chairman after the club won promotion. “My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

“If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn’t be right. I’m in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down.”"

It's so unfair that they were forced to cut their cloth and buy players like Charlie Austin.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Would a court not find that it is a restriction of practice as it stops owners doing what they consider to be in the best interests of their business.

If there is going to be any legal fights from the clubs opposing FFP, it certainly won't be this argument as the courts will throw it out instantly. The football league is not some open 'business', each club has membership and there are rules and regulations they must abide by to maintain that membership. It's a private organisation too, so they can set the rules, and actually in this case the clubs have even signed up to those rules (which isn't always the case).

Quite a lot of the legal challenges and decisions will actually be massively influenced by the Premier League and what 'side' they take on FFP.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Fernandes talks such utter shit:
“Will we fight the fine? What do you think? After all we’ve been through, it’s my middle name – ‘Fight It’ Fernandes,” said the QPR chairman after the club won promotion. “My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

“If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn’t be right. I’m in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down.”"

It's so unfair that they were forced to cut their cloth and buy players like Charlie Austin.

Don't forget how grotesquely unfair it was that they were forced to sign Christopher Samba on £95,000 per week just to try and stay up. Poor, poor old plucky QPR.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't forget how grotesquely unfair it was that they were forced to sign Christopher Samba on £95,000 per week just to try and stay up. Poor, poor old plucky QPR.

Did Harry put in a good word for Samba when he spoke to Fernandes ? "He's a decent footballer and I think he's a bargain if we can sign him for £95k a week" :lol:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Because of this it will end up with prem 1 &prem 2 you mark my words harry redknapp you arse you spent the dosh like you always do. DONT BLAME SUZIE THE MUTT

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
In the Guardian article it says something about how the fine would have to go to charity rather than other clubs because of an agreement with the Premier League over solidarity payments. Can someone shed any light on this? Is it seriously, as it sounds, because the Premier League were worried about the lessened advantage that their payments would give? If so, at is crazy.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Personally i think it should be shared out with all football league clubs if not distributed to all non league clubs down to step 7 . A grand or two would make hell of a diffrrence , especially all the ground improvements they have had to make over the last 4/5 years.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Personally i think it should be shared out with all football league clubs if not distributed to all non league clubs down to step 7 . A grand or two would make hell of a diffrrence , especially all the ground improvements they have had to make over the last 4/5 years.

:thumbsup: spot on

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Or just do what they said they'd do when the clubs voted on it and give it to us (and the other clubs in the Championship)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
First,parachute payments are the biggest hinderance to a club playing by the rules...is there anywhere else you get millions for failure...apart from bankers. We all know that 'Arry left many clubs in the mire...yet some people wax lyrical about his management skills...with unlimited funds I could take the Culm Valley Grasshoppers to the PL....IF THEY CAN AFFORD £95,000 a week for one player (bearing in mind the cost of our stadium.)..they'd be better off building a new stadium so the interstructure is there at least. But of course...'Arry knows best.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Only 10 of the 24 current Championship teams took part in that vote.

And the point is? There's an AGM and this year certain things regarding FFP were raised but didn't get to the voting stage as there was not enough support. Therefore the current rules will remain unchallenged. Those that strongly disagree with it have a choice, remain a member or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here