Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR could face fine of up to £47m if they get promoted (FFP)

You wonder if they have taken much attention to FFP, I have two QPR fans and one thought that the sale of players like Remy and the parachute payments would sort out the books and the other has been concerned and saying for ages the rumours are they are over 60 million in debt, he just wants a club and has concerns there is a fine line you can cross to become a Leeds, Bolton or Portsmouth. Either way it would be interesting to know what QPR have said about how they are going to meet these measures. The Premier league are really driving a wedge between league and premier clubs, Is there another club in the championship openly discussing what our board and owner are.

I liked this tweet from Sporting Intelligence yesterday - no idea how to embed it sorry!

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/441697546985951232

It's clear that QPR's strategy is to challenge the legitimacy of FFP, rather than in any way conform to it.

Oct 25, 2003
I get the 'point' of parachute payments. Teams (rightly or wrongly) budget for Premiership football and then have a big shortfall when it comes to wages. Obviously anyone sensible can say "have a contingency plan" and "get rid of the high earners" but football isn't run sensibly. What seems to happen now is that the debts just get completely ignored and the parachute payments essentially become the teams transfer budget, with the intention being that if they spend enough then they'll go back up and it won't matter. If they go back up then they have a good squad and a Premier League budget again- problem solved......unless you DON'T go back up (from one of them most competitive leagues around) and you're saddled with an even higher wage bill and still no premier league football...solution? Keep spending until your parachute payments run out in the hope that you'll go up eventually.

It's absolute madness, and as someone said earlier, teams are being rewarded for failure.

It's all wrong it is.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Parachute payments should be replaced by a hardship fund, which relegated PL teams can apply for, but at the cost of a transfer embago ( proper embago, not a Watford one ). The embago to run until the hardship payments are no longer needed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Parachute payments should be replaced by a hardship fund, which relegated PL teams can apply for, but at the cost of a transfer embago ( proper embago, not a Watford one ). The embago to run until the hardship payments are no longer needed.

Sounds better than the current parachute payment fiasco. TBH it's difficult to come up with a worse scheme than the current one.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If clubs are stupid enough not to include significant wage reductions in contracts in the event of relegation - I believe Sunderland player's can expect something like a 40 per cent if they go down - they really do need to take a long hard look at who is drawing up those contracts.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If clubs are stupid enough not to include significant wage reductions in contracts in the event of relegation - I believe Sunderland player's can expect something like a 40 per cent if they go down - they really do need to take a long hard look at who is drawing up those contracts.

They can try, but how many players would sign such contracts ? They wouldn't if they have other offers without penalty clauses.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I must be one of the few people on here that actually agree with Parachute payments. Without them, clubs promoted to the PL - and hopefully that'll include us sooner or later - would have very little chance of strengthening their squad to PL standard without the safety net of knowing you can offer players 2-4 year contracts without risking going bust if you come straight back down.

Relegation clauses are fine and well, but they're effectively a 1 year contract.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I liked this tweet from Sporting Intelligence yesterday - no idea how to embed it sorry!

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/441697546985951232

It's clear that QPR's strategy is to challenge the legitimacy of FFP, rather than in any way conform to it.

I presume its this statement, the link to the twitter document does not work for me, not one mention of Football Fair Play rules, he seems to have an inkling the premiership are happy to take his money, if they don't get this year he will have to start being creative to get around the rules. It is a huge contradiction that the premier league allow owners to throw money at the club, but once you drop down these rules will start to bite owners like this, you can see why they are now desperate to get the rules voted for by the clubs to change.

It may have been mentioned before but I have not seen it, what three clubs did not vote for FFP in the championship and did the relegated Premership clubs vote for it.

Attachments

• QPR 4 11.jpg
    QPR 4 11.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 194

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"Every business requires capital to get off the ground"

The club was formed in 1882. Shouldn't it be off the ground by now?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
"Every business requires capital to get off the ground"

The club was formed in 1882. Shouldn't it be off the ground by now?

Indeed. Not sure how ridiculous contracts for mid-30s PL has-beens constitute capital mind.

PG

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At last: a mainstream news story that correctly states that QPR ARE subject to FFP this season, and knows which sanctions will apply depending on whether a club gets promoted or stays in the division. Well done the BBC!

Haven't all of them (including the one at the start of this thread, and the one from the mail back in november) stated QPR are subject to FFP this season? It's fans (like me) and Paul Barber, who have been under the impression they are not (because it was previously suggested there would be a one year exemption, and it doesn't make sense that the exemption is for the year they were relegated from the premier league, rather than the year they are in the championship, which it has lately been suggested).

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Can only hope that those who have been supporting our promotion hopes read and understand the results of a season in the Premiership, sure the Parachute is useful but cannot avoid severe financial problems.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
There's too much of Delboy and Arfur Daley :whistle: in Arry for me to dislike him. But having considered the coincidence surrounding his proximity to dubious activity I am unable to give him a positive reference at this time...... sorry Arry :wink:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Can only hope that those who have been supporting our promotion hopes read and understand the results of a season in the Premiership, sure the Parachute is useful but cannot avoid severe financial problems.

You can avoid them. Just don't spend more than you earn. Simple.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Haven't all of them (including the one at the start of this thread, and the one from the mail back in november) stated QPR are subject to FFP this season? It's fans (like me) and Paul Barber, who have been under the impression they are not (because it was previously suggested there would be a one year exemption, and it doesn't make sense that the exemption is for the year they were relegated from the premier league, rather than the year they are in the championship, which it has lately been suggested).

My reading of the FFP rules mentioned in this thread are that a club relegated from the Premier League are not subject to FFP in their first season in the Championship if they had met FFP requirements of the Premier League and that QPR failed to meet them when fighting relegation last season which is why FFP in their first season in the Championship applies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here