Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Qatar match abandoned due to alleged racist abuse towards New Zealand player

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
First of all, well done to the Kiwi's for refusing to play the second half of their friendly 🇳🇿 against that FILTH of a country. If it is proven that a Qatari player used obscene racist language then they should be banned from playing for 12 months - or longer (would anybody notice anyway? They are so shite). NZ were 1-0 up at the time.

It will be very interesting to see what FIFA's punishment towards them will be? Award them another World Cup? Fine New Zealand for not playing the full match? Absolutely disgusting. I boycotted last winter's World Cup to take a stand against their human rights record against migrants. Something I feel very proud of. The irony of course is that because of November/December, we are still playing the ridiculously long 2022/23 season in the second half of June!

Throw the book at them. Football has no place for racism. :mad:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not that I doubt the players, but is there proof?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not just New Zealand .......

UEFA will of course come down hard on teams refusing to play matches and thus challenging the integrity of the game (tick) and discrediting the governing bodies (tick). Bans incoming (plus probably easily affordable fines for Arab state FAs to make it look like they're taking a stand against racism - tick)

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Same thing happened in a game today between the Irish U21s and Kuwait - a Kuwaiti player made racist comments to a Irish player on the subs bench and the Irish team walk off the pitch (they were 3-0 up at the time).

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Boxall is of Samoan heritage.
Oh sorry I didn't know, he looked like any Southern European man to me (well obviously not  any, an attractive one) so I really couldn't understand what abuse he could have gotten.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh sorry I didn't know, he looked like any Southern European man to me (well obviously not  any, an attractive one) so I really couldn't understand what abuse he could have gotten.
Granted, for the past 400 years or so it's largely been one way traffic, but racism can go both ways and in all sorts of directions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I may be really dense here (and I often can be) but what could he have said to him as a racial abuse? "White trash"?
Well, no actually, well wide of the mark.

On a wider level, however, in the interest of fairness and in the interest of making race less confrontational, maybe 'white trash' (and 'whitey' and 'honkey') should also be classified as racial abuse.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Granted, for the past 400 years or so it's largely been one way traffic, but racism can go both ways and in all sorts of directions.
Yeah I know, that's theoretically right. But given what you said about which colours of skin are usually abused and the fact that the major football leagues are based in western Europe, someone attempting to insult a white player by calling out their "whiteness" wouldn't cause such an effect on them because the insult wouldn't have so much weight and history in their mind.

Well, no actually, well wide of the mark.

On a wider level, however, in the interest of fairness and in the interest of making race less confrontational, maybe 'white trash' (and 'whitey' and 'honkey') should also be classified as racial abuse.
I didn't know "honky", my slang vocabulary grows larger. Never heard of any of those being used as insults at football matches to be fair.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Glad to see teams walking off and not putting up with this kind of shit. If they are fined or docked points I would like to see the big hitters walk off in solidarity. New Zealand lead the way and the rest follow. That would be great.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I recently (as coach) had a 9 year old autistic kid called a ‘cracker’ by a player from a different team at a mini ‘fun’ tournament overseas (overseas for our team). He sadly responded by making a crack of a whip action plus noise back. It wasn’t the easiest situation to deal with when he was the ONLY one getting in trouble (fair enough he did whether understood or not) and the opposing team’s player merely got hugged and coddled despite about 50 people clearly hearing the slur and seeing the anger in his face when shouted. He’d also been spitting on our player’s boots repeatedly without it being seen as an issue.

We were advised quietly not to play our player again for the remaining games, until we quietly showed video (all matches videoed officially) of the ‘innocent victim’ and the incident without clear sound but thankfully seeing faces and were then told it appears no parties did anything wrong and to just rest our kid for one match so he could calm down ‘for his own wellbeing’. The other team’s kid scored 5 goals in the next game they played which they won 6-5 and thus eventually avoided last place overall. (We lost in the final, out of 12 teams).

Fun, fun, fun

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Glad to see teams walking off and not putting up with this kind of shit. If they are fined or docked points I would like to see the big hitters walk off in solidarity. New Zealand lead the way and the rest follow. That would be great.
I wouldn’t hold your breath. The European teams wouldn’t even wear an armband at the World Cup when it became apparent that a yellow card was at stake.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The worst racism I have ever personally enountered was on a bus in Kenya, when driver started shouting and pointing at a man trying to board. The would be traveller had done nothing wrong and simply wanted to get on the bus. After 30 seconds or so, a few other passengers joined in, shouting and very threatingly gesticulating towards the man. It was a bit scary, and as a white man on a bus of increasingly angy locals i was getting concerned

The would be passenger got off the bus step, bus moves off and calm returns. One of the passengers that i had been in conversation with explained thay "They werent going to let that Zulu trash on the bus. We are good Xhosa peoople here "

Racism is not confined to caucasians against other ethnicities-it can and is just as bad between any groups of different make up. And yes, caucasians can be racially abused as well

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The worst racism I have ever personally enountered was on a bus in Kenya, when driver started shouting and pointing at a man trying to board. The would be traveller had done nothing wrong and simply wanted to get on the bus. After 30 seconds or so, a few other passengers joined in, shouting and very threatingly gesticulating towards the man. It was a bit scary, and as a white man on a bus of increasingly angy locals i was getting concerned

The would be passenger got off the bus step, bus moves off and calm returns. One of the passengers that i had been in conversation with explained thay "They werent going to let that Zulu trash on the bus. We are good Xhosa peoople here "

Racism is not confined to caucasians against other ethnicities-it can and is just as bad between any groups of different make up. And yes, caucasians can be racially abused as well
What are the chances of a zulu trying to get on a bus full of Xhosa in Kenya? Unluckiest South African in Nairobi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here