Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pulis v Palace - The Judgement

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Although we have a bit of banter Douglas I would rather talk to my accountant than you.
Don't take this personal.

Although it is:moo:

No offence taken . I bet when you two get together it riveting ???

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Crystal Palace is the defendant which is strange given their inability to defend [emoji38]ol:

Right up my street that one

Actually Palace might have been the ''Defendant'' but not only did they defend very well but they hit Tony Pulis on the counter attack at least 3 times and left Mr Pulis nursing a financial headache.

What was he thinking when he went to them and asked to be paid early ? Did he think they wouldn't later challenge this. If so then very naïve - And who were his Advisers. Did they not forsee the Tax and NIC issue if Palace challenged the Bonus Payment made to him and they won their case which they have done.

Actually this makes an absolutely brilliant '' Tax Case Law'' for the world of football regarding Bonus Payments later challenged.

I rushed it a bit at the end so not sure I have the exact gist of it at the end but here's the short version - Someone correct me if I haven't got the last bit correct as I was rushing it a little

1. Pulis due a £2m Bonus if he kept Palace up and stayed till 31st August after season ended - He did so Bonus Due
2. Pulis asked to be paid early on 8th/12th August and Palace paid it early (8th/12th are disputed dates)
3. Pulis after getting the money resigns on 13th - Bonus potentially no longer due
4. Palace ask for their money back and get it awarded back to them in full. Including the tax and NIC they paid over to HMRC
5. Pulis tries to diminish the claim by asking not to have to pay back the tax and NIC deduction
6. Courts tell him to claim it back from HMRC, even though Palace initially offered to try and claim it back for him in the initial case. They then withdrew that offer to help him claim it back
7. Palace got everything they wanted and Pulis left with financial headache

There was so much more to it this but this is merely a summary version. I rushed points 6 and 7 above by rushing reading it but I think my understanding of it above is correct.

Fascinating read and the witnesses called by both parties was interesting to say the least. There is a brilliant bit in it about what the courts refer to as HPM, which in this instance refers to ''Heated Players Meeting''

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Silly move by Pulis to appeal against the original decision, and could now face financial ruin.
Did an excellent job keeping us up, but the manner of his departure ( 2 days before the seasons opener ) has soured most Palace fans memories of him.
In saying all that, he would sort our defence out !

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
There are some dodgy managers out there. The more they get, the greedier they get. I didn't know Pulis was one of them but I do now. Nice when they get caught out.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Silly move by Pulis to appeal against the original decision, and could now face financial ruin.
Did an excellent job keeping us up, but the manner of his departure ( 2 days before the seasons opener ) has soured most Palace fans memories of him.
In saying all that, he would sort our defence out !

I can see why he would appeal it because there were no Tax Law grounds for him to reclaim the tax and NIC but Palace could have altered their End of Year PAYE to claim it back which they initially offered to do but Pulis initially rejected that in the original case.

I love it when the right person wins. I know a lot on here will say that Palace are not who they want to see winning but in my opinion only knowing what I read from the transcripts read on here and not being privy to any of the contracts or having been present in the courts, I would have drawn the same conclusion as the courts did

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I can see why he would appeal it because there were no Tax Law grounds for him to reclaim the tax and NIC but Palace could have altered their End of Year PAYE to claim it back which they initially offered to do but Pulis initially rejected that in the original case.

I love it when the right person wins. I know a lot on here will say that Palace are not who they want to see winning but in my opinion only knowing what I read from the transcripts read on here and not being privy to any of the contracts or having been present in the courts, I would have drawn the same conclusion as the courts did

With his own costs to pay as well, the final figure could be over £5 mill .
Badly advised by his legal team.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
:lolol:

First win (of sorts) in living memory and the same old faces crawl out of the woodwork.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looks as if I'm talking about this on t'radio in t'morning.

The phrase "It's a lot of money for a small club such as Palace" may inadvertently be mentioned.

FWIW well done Steve Parish. As much as I'm loathe to say anything positive about our chums you know where, he did the right thing here and Pulis's greed has resulted in him getting a £5 million bloody nose.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
With his own costs to pay as well, the final figure could be over £5 mill .
Badly advised by his legal team.

He should have sat tight in his position for 3 weeks between 12th August and 31st August and collected his £2m or if things had broken down between him and the Chairman, forced the Chairman to sack him in that interim period. Its not exactly a long time to wait to get a £2m Bonus Payment.

There might have been a reason in that he might not have got the West Brom job but he was ''hot property'' at that point, other jobs would have surfaced for him but he had absolutely no chance of being successful with the time scales in question around then

Last edited:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

The phrase "It's a lot of money for a small club such as Palace" may inadvertently be mentioned.

FWIW well done Steve Parish. As much as I'm loathe to say anything positive about our chums you know where, he did the right thing here and Pulis's greed has resulted in him getting a £5 million bloody nose.
Come on you're better than that:smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

What station and when?

Don't forget "small tinpot club"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here