Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs in Milton Keynes

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
As some of you had the misfortune to go into the Enigma Tavern prior to the game, I thought I'd advise you of someof the more decent hostelries. Bletchley basically is a dump, but Fenny Stratford (1 mile away) although past its best still has some reasonable little boozers. Here are a few :-

The Swan Hotel, a large pub which was reviewed in September 2009: Visited this pub before the MK Dons v Leeds match. Extremely full both inside and in the yard area at the rear.
I cannot judge what the place is like under normal circumstances but it seemed reasonable before a match. The bar had Adnams on handpull, as well as Tetleys although this was off at the time.

The Chequers Inn
(just up the road from the Swan) towards the ground: Decent landlord trying to make a go of the place, now serving Marstons Pedigree on handpump

Bull & Butcher Friendly relaxing pub, run by a Leeds United fan further improving the situation. A great pub for watching the footy in. The Guinness is good and there is a beer garden out the back. Definitely to be recommended.

Full list of nearby pubs. Here:-

pubs near Bletchley train station # beerintheevening.com

Milton Keynes Central is about five miles from the ground. There are few decent places to drink, mostly new and geared to the pub/club scene. The best of these is Wetherspoons about 5 minutes walk from CMK Station, some of you will remember this from when the Dons played at the Hockey Stadium. Very modern and very large, but with good, well priced food and a variety of guest ales.

The adventurous among you may wish to try the old coaching town of Stony Stratford, full of pubs and a great place for a pub crawl. About 12 miles from the ground.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
went to fanny stetford last year,pub right by the canal

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Where is the Enigma Tavern and why is it so bad ?

It is the nearest pub to the ground, very close to Bletchley Train Station and caters for away fans. It is probably not as bad as many people might think, but it is a typical modern pub trying to be a theme pub, no character and history, in a cultural and architectural void. It will be packed on match days, so I thought I would alert you to other hostelries of a more traditional nature in the area and in my view nicer places to have a couple of per match jars.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
whats the chance of the m.k dons game been pay on the gate?

Pretty good chance I would imagine, away end holds 3000 and we're not likely to take that up there. There is an electronic entry system on the gate so a ticket will need to bought from the ticket office at the ground I would expect.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
What's the Plough at Simpson like? Good Beer Guide says it does good food and backs on to the Grand Union Canal.

Simpson is a small village just outside Fenny Stratford towards the Open University campus. The Plough is indeed another nice location and has a large beer garden backing onto the Grand Union canal. Again I haven't been there for some time, but the last time I went (a traditional pub) it was very pleasant. Popular with families in summer and OU people in the week.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
MK Dons pubs and crowd

Looking into pubs for the MK Dons game and it looks like the options near the ground are pretty limited. Was thinking of heading to the Red Lion in Fenny Stratford for a couple of pints, seems like there are a few other pubs close by as well. Does anyone know if you can walk to the ground from Fenny Stratford?

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I don't think many people will be walking from any station. Bletchly is the closest station and thats a mile from the ground. If you want to go to a pub I suggest you get a taxi/bus to the ground.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Last year we walked from Bletchley Station up to the ground (probably the dullest walk of my life, through an IKEA car park), to make sure we got a ticket.

Then we walked to Fenny Stratford for a couple of pints and fish and chips, before walking back up to the ground. I'd say it was about a 15-minute walk from Fenny Stratford to the ground - very do-able.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
A 15 minute walk sounds fine and a chippy in Fenny Strateford has definitely made up my mind. Hopefully should see a decent turnout from us 1000 odd?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
All i remember from last season was quing up for AGES outside the ground to get a ticket.So bare that in mind when thinking about what time you want to get to the ground.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
We had plans of taking the train, but the complicated route and lack of boozers in MK has made us decide to take the car and get back down here for the post match drinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here