Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PubCo code of practice

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Saw that Caroline Lucas has been working to help landlords have more flexible options than the contracts they get from PubCos.
I know a lot of pubs have closed in the last few years but that the limit of my knowledge...
Does anyone, in know, think this will help? or is it about time?

Caroline Lucas | Supporting Brighton and Hove's pub trade

"I welcome today’s parliamentary date on a long overdue statutory code of conduct for pub companies.

Brighton and Hove’s pub industry is incredibly important to our local economy and pubs play a central role in our communities.

Like many constituents, I'm worried at the alarming rate of pub closures in the city and want to see more done to reverse this trend.

Part of the problem is the unfair relationship between large pub companies and the individual small pubs that are their lessees.

A number of parliamentary committees have agreed that pubs lose out because of restrictive and unfair contracts, with those publicans tied to the pub companies banned from buying beer on the open market and instead forced to pay prices as much as 50% higher.

The Government has been far too complacent to date and left the pub companies to develop a voluntary code of practice, despite the industry repeatedly failing to do so effectively or with any urgency.

So a year ago, MPs, including myself, called on the Government to commission an independent review into the business practices of large pub companies and I spoke during that parliamentary debate.

The Government has finally listened to the concerns that have been voiced and yesterday announced its support for a statutory code of practice.

However, there must be no further delays in making this happen and further consultation must not be used by the Coalition as an excuse to kick the code into the long grass.

Crucially, the code must include a 'free of tie' option with an open market rent review for local pubs and a strong, independent adjudicator.

I will continue to work with Brighton and Hove’s publicans to do what I can to support the industry as the proposed code is taken forward, as well as on the campaign to scrap the beer duty escalator.
"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not a bloody hope unfortunately. (see below) I've been campaigning for years but will not holding my breath.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not a bloody hope unfortunately. (see below) I've been campaigning for years but will not holding my breath.

there was something about it last week, parliament has looked at it and government seems to be supporting proposals. so hopefully on the final furlong to a resolution.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The bit on the bottom of my posts

Its blank ?

post.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about all the publicans who were made bankrupt by Intrepeneur, as was and now called Enterprise Inns and the other pub companies that also had many lessees who committed suicide out of desperation. It is well overdue but too late for them

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What about all the publicans who were made bankrupt by Intrepeneur, as was and now called Enterprise Inns and the other pub companies that also had many lessees who committed suicide out of desperation. It is well overdue but too late for them

Too right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here