Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub for some GAA on Sunday (long shot...)

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
At 2:15 on Sunday the mighty TIPPERARY take on Cork in the Munster Hurling Championship semi-finals. For those who aren't initiated in GAA, its more illustrious than it sounds!

Its a long shot, but anyone know of a pub, preferably not far from Preston Pk (or Town Centre), that might show the match? Its on Setanta Sports 2, apparently.

I know The Bugle just off the Lewes Road is often cited as an 'irish' pub. Still not been in there yet, and i dunno if it would have sky/setanta etc?

cheers lads

Up Tipp! :drink:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You could do worse than ringing the Lecturn (lewes road), I'm pretty sure they will be showing it. Don't think the Bugle has a subscription to Setanta or Sky (was in there on Friday, can't remember if they have a tv though). Fiddlers Elbow might be worth a shout.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nice one Chappers, i'll give the Lectern a try.

The Fiddler's Elbow; thats the one just off West St yeah?

Yup, Boyce's Street. Good Guinness. I think they have a big screen but would be surprised if they've got a subscription.

Lecturn used to show all the Gaelic Football and some hurling but they are under new management now.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
:bounce:

TIPPERARY v Clare today, in the Munster Hurling Final.

Tyrone Biggums - You and your Banner Boys can bring it on. BRING IT ON!:catfight:

For info - no The Bugle doesnt show any GAA these days; for starters they haven't got Setanta. I haven't had a chance to check on the Lecturn or Fiddlers Elbow, but hopefully my The Station at Preston Park will put it on for me (they said they could/would, but we'll see... finers crossed).

If any of ye are in the area then feel free to pop along; i think the throw-in (start) is at 4pm :drink:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
:bounce:

TIPPERARY v Clare today, in the Munster Hurling Final.

Tyrone Biggums - You and your Banner Boys can bring it on. BRING IT ON!:catfight:

For info - no The Bugle doesnt show any GAA these days; for starters they haven't got Setanta. I haven't had a chance to check on the Lecturn or Fiddlers Elbow, but hopefully my The Station at Preston Park will put it on for me (they said they could/would, but we'll see... finers crossed).

If any of ye are in the area then feel free to pop along; i think the throw-in (start) is at 4pm :drink:

Didn't see the thread, otherwise might have joined you, thats if you were watching my boys Galway become Connacht football champs beforehand!

For the record, Fiddler's Elbow is not an Irish pub in anything but decoration - I'd be quite suprised in any of the bar staff even knew what Setanta was, let alone have the games on! Shame cos it used to be great. The landlord from the Lecturn has moved on, but I believe they still house the Brighton and Sussex Celtic Supporters Club, and therefore presumably also show the GAA, think I watched a game in there last summer, although it was pretty dead and in the upstairs room.

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Didn't see the thread, otherwise might have joined you, thats if you were watching my boys Galway become Connacht football champs beforehand!

For the record, Fiddler's Elbow is not an Irish pub in anything but decoration - I'd be quite suprised in any of the bar staff even knew what Setanta was, let alone have the games on! Shame cos it used to be great. The landlord from the Lecturn has moved on, but I believe they still house the Brighton and Sussex Celtic Supporters Club, and therefore presumably also show the GAA, think I watched a game in there last summer, although it was pretty dead and in the upstairs room.

Can't wait for the GAA Sundays around your new place soon :drink:

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Our best hope is if it pours rain and the wind is wild.

Just like the men from Clare!!

Sorry Biggums mate, but we did the business today. UP TIPP! Not that i'd know anything about it; the foine people down The Station pub were up for letting me watch it, but they didnt have Setanta 2!!!:(
So i had to rely on me Dad sending me text updates every 10 mins!

Anyway, i hope anyone who watched it, enjoyed it!

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

As you might have seen ATFC, The Station tried, but failed. Honourably i might add.
(EDIT- really well done on the Connacht title mate; tough draw in the next round of the hurling though)

What you've said about the Lecturn though, i think i might investigate in the future though; nice one brer:thumbsup:

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The lectern has gone massively down hill in the last year or two. The old landlord has moved on.......
Because he died!
Used to be a good pub for a drink in the week but now its full of pikeys.

How is the Munster Hurling Championship different from the Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship, then? Saw the one of the semis of those at Croke Park last month. Was a right laugh. Had no idea what was going on but there was loads of RUCKING.

n578246785_962534_3122.jpg

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The lectern has gone massively down hill in the last year or two. The old landlord has moved on.......
Because he died!
Used to be a good pub for a drink in the week but now its full of pikeys.

died :ohmy: are you refering to Pat??

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
How is the Munster Hurling Championship different from the Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship, then? Saw the one of the semis of those at Croke Park last month. Was a right laugh. Had no idea what was going on but there was loads of RUCKING.

Leinster = eastern counties
Munster = south-western counties

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

The RUCKS are great, aren't they.

Explanation - Ireland consists of 4 provinces: Munster, Leinster, Ulster and Connacht. The All-Ireland competitions start off provincially and then progresses to an all-ireland competition. The great thing about the Munster hurling championship is that to be honest all the teams have a chance of winning; in Leinster every team is playing catch-up with Kilkenny

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here